Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 02:15 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Why all that? just go to gsmarena.co...
and check the phones and compare, cool site

I am not saying that the 9500 is not good, i have carried one myslef for 2 weeks, it has great internet accessibility, but for a phone of its size, it must have many options available, at the time.. that it doesn't!!

BTW, this new Nokia E61, has a screen of 16 Million Pixels !!!
really a work of art!! the 9500 has 65 K pixels

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.

Last edited by SilverSpear; 10-25-2005 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:52 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
OK, here is a challenge. I am looking for a new phone with the following features. GSM, PDA, GPS, Bluetooth, car mount, cycle mount.

Is there such a beast available, or on the way?

(I currently have a p800 Sony Ericsson which would be perfect if if has GPS and mounts)
You can actually get a GPS atena attachment with mapping software (goes into SD card slot) for virtually any Palm and PPC powered phone.

If you want a beast of a phone go with the Samsung i750, it is quite expensive though.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:55 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebitob
You can actually get a GPS atena attachment with mapping software (goes into SD card slot) for virtually any Palm and PPC powered phone.

If you want a beast of a phone go with the Samsung i750, it is quite expensive though.
That means carrying two boxes.

I can get a PDA with built in GSM or a PDA with built in GPS. Can I get both? (Also must have bluetooth for hands-free in the van) Maybe the battery technology is not good enough yet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 10-25-2005, 05:54 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
Why all that? just go to gsmarena.co...
and check the phones and compare, cool site

I am not saying that the 9500 is not good, i have carried one myslef for 2 weeks, it has great internet accessibility, but for a phone of its size, it must have many options available, at the time.. that it doesn't!!

BTW, this new Nokia E61, has a screen of 16 Million Pixels !!!
really a work of art!! the 9500 has 65 K pixels
like i said, it's all about the function. apparently you're supposed to be able to run putty off of it and term into unix/linux servers. this was very useful...until i quit my job that is. if i can vpn via edge, then it'll be worth every penny IMO. i'm sure it would help me do some of my admin work...my only question is if it'll run apps off of the edge connections.

i've tried using blackberry and pda phones and other little things and they suck massive donkey nuts.

however, the OQO would excellent with one of those smaller bluetooth-edge enabled phones if it wasn't freaking $2k a pop.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:10 PM
no limitation as limitation

yeah i looked at the oqo01+. nice but 2 hour battery is useless for me.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:10 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
That's why I have verizon wireless EVDO card in my laptop. I am online all the time - Even on the roads. Yes. It's that important. Don't ask. PDA phones are ok. I don't want to carry a PDA and phone. I have my hands on Treos, but I have apps that runs on windows mobile. So I am stuck with WM devices.

9500 got great reviews. Without WM, it's useless for me. That'sI why I have the Torq P100. I am looking at the new ASUS P505. Only 400+ is not bad. Cheap for WM5 PDA phone compare to HTC Universal running at 1200+. I refuse to pay over 700 bucks for a PDA. Period. 400 is very resonable. Ideally, I want Ericsson T39 and NEC 900C with 4GB CF Card.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 10-26-2005, 01:29 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
So you see? each person needs something specific in a mobile, as for me i only need basics and elegance... this is why i wanna go with the Nokia N91...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:40 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
That means carrying two boxes.

I can get a PDA with built in GSM or a PDA with built in GPS. Can I get both? (Also must have bluetooth for hands-free in the van) Maybe the battery technology is not good enough yet.
The Samsung i750, like the Treo 650 or 700w, is a smartphone. Smartphones are the name given to PocketPCs or Palms with celluar phone capabilities and features as well as their native ones.

You won't have to carry around two boxes, the GPS software comes in a small SD with perhaps an atenna that is at most the size of a pen.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:56 PM

Smart phones are things like HTC Typhoon. PDA phones are not really called smartphone. smartphone is more phone with a tad bit of PDA in it. According to MS, smartphone is a phone with WindowsCE for phone built in.

Sorry. just had to butt in.

The followings are the official "SMARTPHONE" LINK HERE

The followings are the official "Windows Mobile Phone Edition" They are PocketPCs with phone built in LINK HERE
They are missing the new stuff like HTC Universal (click on products), or ETEN , or ASUS P505
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Old 10-27-2005, 11:03 AM
Hitchhikin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph
Smart phones are things like HTC Typhoon. PDA phones are not really called smartphone. smartphone is more phone with a tad bit of PDA in it. According to MS, smartphone is a phone with WindowsCE for phone built in.

I know what you're talking about, it's the more phone-oriented version of the Pocket PC interface, and it's more phone than PDA (a.k.a. Audiovox SMT5600), but smartphone is used as a generic word for all PDA phones. Kinda like rollerblades specifically refer to one brand of in-line skates, but most people call any in-line skate a rollerblade.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:14 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Registered SVX
Quote:

The followings are the official "SMARTPHONE" LINK HERE

The followings are the official "Windows Mobile Phone Edition" They are PocketPCs with phone built in LINK HERE
They are missing the new stuff like HTC Universal (click on products), or ETEN , or ASUS P505
The last time I checked the Treo is considered a smartphone. On the otherhand, the Samsung i750 is probably considered not.

Btw, even though it is a bit selfish for MS to want the name smartphones used only for ones that run their OSes, I think the first production smartphone is this one.

I also thought smartphones was only a reference to a device which has PDA and cellphone features but was configured to specialize more as a phone?
Old 10-27-2005, 01:29 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebitob
The Samsung i750, like the Treo 650 or 700w, is a smartphone. Smartphones are the name given to PocketPCs or Palms with celluar phone capabilities and features as well as their native ones.

You won't have to carry around two boxes, the GPS software comes in a small SD with perhaps an atenna that is at most the size of a pen.
I have had a looked at these three phones but they all require a GPS receiver linked to the phone by bluetooth (two boxes)

It looks as if I will have to wait a little longer before someone launches a smartphone with built-in GPS capability

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 10-27-2005, 06:13 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
9500 is too big. can't impress girls with big phones.
...unless you keep it in your pocket all the time
Old 10-27-2005, 08:12 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Registered SVX
Lightbulb How about this?

Here is a device that I own which is a GPS reciever, gaming handheld that is as good or even better than a PSP, alarm clock, calculator, currency converter, can send emails, mp3 player, movie player and can do every function a GSM cellphone can except for calling.

Btw, I own one and with Richard Burns Rally I find it pretty sweet. You have to admit it its pretty close though.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:31 PM

I know there is a software that uses aGPS signals to give you the position on both smartphone and PDA Phone for WM. It's not a true GPS but it might work.

I think it's called tinygps