How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-08-2005, 04:18 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Engine Pull

I'm prepping the engine getting ready to pull it. The manual shows attaching the cherry picker's chains to the intake??

You guys out there that have pulled the engine. Is this where you attached the chains?

Any pointers or "heads up!!" that I need to know prior to this pull?

The only engine I've ever pulled was from a '70 MG Midget. It weighed about 5 lbs., with no electronics/harnesses to even worry about.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 10-08-2005, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Two hooks go to tow eyes on the engine. One is by the AC compressor and the other is under the snorkus opposite corner from the bracket up front.

Have fun!

Todd
Old 10-08-2005, 08:17 PM

Thanks Todd. Now I see them!!
Geez.. I was about to screw up royal!

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.

Old 10-09-2005, 10:57 AM

Noone has success dropping it out the bottom?

I was going to drop it out the bottom but I am checking the forums and ave yet to see anyone taking it out the bottom. Is it possible
Old 10-09-2005, 06:06 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Mike,
To drop out the bottom you need to drop the whole suspension and K-frame. Most members have not pulled their motors, fewer yet have torn them down far enough to remove the K-frame.

Good luck though

Todd
Old 10-09-2005, 06:24 PM

Thanks Todd,

Thanks Todd,
I am glad I can pull it out the bottom then. Ive been unscrewing everybolt under, around, and beyond to get this thing ready to slide out the bottom. Whats the best way to get to those pesky axles. Thats the only thing I have left to disconnect. Tanks in advance for a reply
Old 10-09-2005, 09:49 PM

What is the benefit of dropping it from the bottom?

Old 10-10-2005, 06:08 AM

Money

Might not have to pay for an engine hoist. This is supposed to be an inexpensive project.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxewhodey
Might not have to pay for an engine hoist. This is supposed to be an inexpensive project.
ahhhhhhhh!!! Right!!!

Old 10-10-2005, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

What end of the axles are you struggling with Mike?

The end near the transmissions have pins that need to be driven out and then the axles can be pulled from the transmission. To do the pulling however, you need to remove the ball joint bolts (x3) at the end of the a-arms to allow the front struts to pivot on the top mounts away from the centerline of the car.

To get the other end out, you need to remove the dust cap in the center of the hub, use a drift pin to un-distort the axle nut and then remove the 32mm nut from the end of the axle. The axle is splined to the hub and these can sometimes be a bit sticky. I have used a brass rod and a hammer along with some PB Blaster to help break them free.

I hope I haven't forgotten anything here. Sorry if I have.

BTW-do you still have the front clip (hood, bumper, core support, headlights) or are they gone? Driving our "new" '95 got me itching to get going on my other projects again.

Todd
Old 10-10-2005, 05:52 PM

Thanks for the info. Everything is loose thats mentioned

Now I just gotta find the pins and drive them out. I just use a punch or something to hammer it out then? I should have done things a little more systematicaly so now I have to hammer on a wobbly engine, hahah. Nah the transmission is still secured to it and the mount to it is tight in both locations. I still have the parts you mentioned minus the headlights as they are in the middle of the deep cleaning process. Make me an offer and I may take it because "Im broke no joke" this pay period.

Last edited by sxewhodey; 10-10-2005 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:21 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxewhodey
Now I just gotta find the pins and drive them out. I just use a punch or something to hammer it out then? I should have done things a little more systematicaly so now I have to hammer on a wobbly engine, hahah. Nah the transmission is still secured to it and the mount to it is tight in both locations. I still have the parts you mentioned minus the headlights as they are in the middle of the deep cleaning process. Make me an offer and I may take it because "Im broke no joke" this pay period.

Yeah a punch will work. 3/16ths if is perfect if memory serves me right. A non tappered works the best but they'll come with a tappered one. If you're dropping it down be carefull and figure out how you're gonna get the car up high enough to get the engine out. If you have 2 strong friends a 4x4 and bike cable lock will work but you'll need beer for motivation. Might want to measure and build a 2x6 stand to hold the engine on so it isn't sitting on the pan alone which tends to crush such things with the weight.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:58 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

I agree Mike, careful when you drop the K-frame! How do you intend to drop it without supporting the engine from above? It may be best to rent a cherry picker for a half day to avoid a major mishap from occuring

Actually, got a thought here . Maybe a swap for the parts I need. I bring down my cherry picker and my experience and we yank it in exchange for the parts I need. Wadda ya think? (logistics are ugly here, load the truck, drive 3-4 hours, rip out an engine, tear down cherry picker, load parts, drive 3-4 hours back, unload truck. Sounds like an adventure...or nightmare )

Todd
Old 10-10-2005, 11:18 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawazat??
I agree Mike, careful when you drop the K-frame! How do you intend to drop it without supporting the engine from above? It may be best to rent a cherry picker for a half day to avoid a major mishap from occuring

Actually, got a thought here . Maybe a swap for the parts I need. I bring down my cherry picker and my experience and we yank it in exchange for the parts I need. Wadda ya think? (logistics are ugly here, load the truck, drive 3-4 hours, rip out an engine, tear down cherry picker, load parts, drive 3-4 hours back, unload truck. Sounds like an adventure...or nightmare )

Todd
Come on Chad! The strength of BEER will yank it!!! you know that!!! (also not recommending the drop from someone who has done it with trannies in junkyards).
Old 10-11-2005, 03:23 PM

Yeah, maybe I should get the lift

Well I found someone with a lift that I can probably use. Judging by all the cautions Ive been thrown, I figure I better tae some advice and take it out the top. Thanks to everyone for the warnings, it my save a finger or two. I better make some room for that now because its squeezed tight in there. Off to sears hardware for the 3/16 punch.(non tapered of course.). I can put my donut spares on for the rearsince they are still intact to back the car out a little. What do you guys mean "plan"? I never heard of that word.