Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-29-2005, 06:57 PM
After 200, it's all the same.

On a non related speed argument note, only SVX (hopefully) with sidepipes in the world. That counts as a record, right?

Keith

1992 Pearly 187K and climbing (11-91) #964 *retired

1992 Pearl SVX 122500 miles #86 FASTAR THAN THE OLD ONE.*SOLD

Everytime I get into my car, it always reminds me that it has POWER
Old 08-29-2005, 07:40 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
I guess the Porsche is set for acceleration, the SVX for top speed.
Harvey.
That's exactly what I was thinking earlier today, but the 928 sure is heavy.

I also got to thinking when I saw a 160mph speedo in an Accord, what's the fastest recorded speed of any NA 6 cylinder car with < 270hp? Anyone know?

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:26 PM
Certified Porschephile

I would think the 928 would be more for top speed being totally designed from the ground up as a Grand Tourer for the Autobahn. As for the weight, they are close in size but the Suby has AWD where as the 928 has a 5.0L V-8 sitting in the nose. I would also like to see the F/R weight splits on both. As for one of a few who haven driven both, the 928 kills my SVX in acceleration, top speed, top gear acceleration, braking, and on-ramp assaults. Thank god the staties where all away doing paperwork that day! This of course is all subjective and not instrument verified. But I can honestly say except for the SL 600, I have never gone from 80-100 that fast in my life.

As for the Honda, since it weighs less then the SVX and has 10 more horsepower out of a smaller engine, I guess that will hit 180.

Last edited by Royal Tiger; 08-29-2005 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:50 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigershark
As for the Honda, since it weighs less then the SVX and has 10 more horsepower out of a smaller engine, I guess that will hit 180.
-Sarcasm detector malfunction-

I thought the S2000 was Hondas top end king, hitting like 170 something.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:19 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I think you are misunderstanding what it takes to go fats top end. To acceive top end speed you do need power but more importantly you need a decently heavy car with low gearing and good aerodynamics. A lighter car with more horsepower means it will accelerate faster but not nessecarliy mean it will go faster in the long run. It all depends on what the car is buit for. Back on topic I do think and SVX can reach a speed of 170 mph.......

Going downhill with a tailwind of 30+mph in 40* weather

Tom
Old 08-30-2005, 09:14 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigershark
I would think the 928 would be more for top speed being totally designed from the ground up as a Grand Tourer for the Autobahn. As for the weight, they are close in size but the Suby has AWD where as the 928 has a 5.0L V-8 sitting in the nose. I would also like to see the F/R weight splits on both. As for one of a few who haven driven both, the 928 kills my SVX in acceleration, top speed, top gear acceleration, braking, and on-ramp assaults. Thank god the staties where all away doing paperwork that day! This of course is all subjective and not instrument verified. But I can honestly say except for the SL 600, I have never gone from 80-100 that fast in my life.
the SVX has an automatic and AWD eating up crank hp. the 928 that did 172 was a 5-speed and RWD. dyno runs have proven that the 928's hp was almost always underrated by Porsche. so the actual power going to the wheels is probably much more in the case of the 928, and not just 320hp vs. 230hp.

i've owned both, and while i KNOW the 928 could do it (buried the pedal at 120mph and it shot up to 150mph, then i ran out of road), i'd have to go ahead and say i don't think so with the SVX - it just isn't putting enough power down - i don't care how its geared.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 08-31-2005, 06:32 AM
Certified Porschephile

On the subject of auto versus 5 speed, I think I've decided that my 928 will be a 5 speed. I have been thinking it over, and I agreed with the thought that a fun weekend car should be a manual to get the most out of the experience. The lot that had the 928 auto and SL 600 V-12 that I drove has a 1981 6 Series BMW-Alpina (had to look it up, what a neat car) 5 speed. I think I can convince him to throw a dealer plate on it and let me go practice my manual skills one Saturday afternoon.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:57 AM

But where in the power band is the 928, compared to the SVX when there at top speed, i know when i was going for top end that i was out of my power band and the car still did right around 150MPH.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:00 AM
Maniac modifier

All I know is I finally got the chance to really open the 5mt up 2 days ago and ran out of numbers. Not on the speedo but on the tach. I got her revving to 6500 rpms pretty quickly obtaining the car's top speed of 145mph. Just to let you all know, I did it within 1 minute accelerating up from 70mph. I was very impressed with the car's ability to connect itself with the road much better than before. I still felt like the car was driving at 70 but everything went by MUCH faster

Tom
Old 09-01-2005, 10:24 AM
Certified Porschephile

A 400 hp Corvette only touches 180. How does a 230 hp AWD heavier car hit 175? If you are going on the speedo, you are way off. You need to verifiy it with a speed device like RADAR, ESP, or Laser.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:43 AM
Maniac modifier

a 400 hp vette tops out at 180 because it cannot go any higher due to gear ratios. Like my car will not go fatser than 145 because of gear ratios... I am not sure you are fully understanding what it takes to make top speed. With the right conditions a stock SVX can reach 170 mph... But like I said, it would need a tailwind going downhill on a 40* day.... It is possible given the right things happen at the right time. The SVX is geared to top out around 190mph(I think). The only reason it doesn't is because it does not have the power to puch the car at that speed. Physics 101 in a friction free environment an SVX can do ~190 in a reduced friction environemt (downhill/tailwind) the SVX might be able to do 170.... The only thing is it will take about 20 minutes to acheive that kind of speed

Tom
Old 09-01-2005, 09:20 PM

I was headed on a long downhill, very slight grade however(don't even think it broke a 1/2%. If anyone was ever headed toward Winnemucca, Nevada from Reno, you probably know which hill I'm talking about. Goes forever and the temp at the time was right around 50 degrees Farenheit.

What I don't get is why everyone is debating this. It is possible, and gearing is key. Hell a Geo Metro with the right amount of power could reach 170, not that I would trust my life in a Geo Metro at that speed. The SVX is so appropriately geared as well as aerodynamically engineered to do so. Sure the Porsche gets there faster due to more power, and runs a 1/4 mile time faster(this mostly due to more torque than the SVX), but don't count it out. I know for a fact that Chris(admin) and Tancred(member here) have both gotten the speedo to above 160 in IDEAL weather conditions.

Keith

Old 09-01-2005, 09:35 PM

Also, are we talking stock or modded. Mine was modded with the cone filter sitting in the fenderwell and exhaust work, so the 230hp figure can go right out the window. I don't want to give an exact number because I don't have one, but I'm guessing 250 or more horsepower. Also might add that the guy who owned it before me said he had done some "other stuff" to the car. What that "other stuff" may be is beyond me because I didn't find anything out of the ordinary, with the exception of an inline tranny filter.

Keith

Old 09-02-2005, 12:19 AM
Maniac modifier

listen, 230hp is off the production line. My car as modded as it is is not putting down 230 at the crank I am sure of that... As an engine gets mileage, it also gets loose and loses power over time. Talking an extra 20 horse above factory spec for a filter and exhaust is just silly on a car with over 75k on it. Anyway, I am not doubting that you did it... Don't forget that gearing can also be a car's downfall as it takes much more power to acheive higher speeds with a lower gear ratio... Think of it this way, you are riding you 38speed mountain bike. You could probobly reach a higher speeds by pedaling faster in a higher gear rather than slower in a lower gear. It all has to do with the rotational momentum. Anyway moving away from this topic... it is a thread of world records not a debate on top speed.... Sorry for taking a place in this horrid Hijacking....

Tom
Old 09-02-2005, 07:25 AM
Certified Porschephile

Tom, nicely put. All I said is I don't believe a SVX can hit 170+. Even Guiness requires proof. As for the world records part, my auto fried up at around 55k. Less then 3k after a power flush at the local Suby dealer.