Yeah, I'm still around

Hey Nick, SuperJusty does exist!

Thought you'd like this article I found

this is from the latest (4 -March 2002) issue of autoweek, check page 24:
----
1988-1989 Subaru Justy LSR
Salted Scooby
By JOHN MATRAS

Yes, those are the standard 145SR-12 tires on the LSR Justy, pumped to 60 psi for lower rolling resistance. (Photo by John Matras)

It’s called bench racing, those idle discussions about what if and just maybe. Most go no further than that. Reality and the crush of day-to-day life usually set in. But occasionally lunchroom chatter becomes a world land speed record. It happened with nine Subaru employees and one pre-production 1987 front-drive Subaru Justy.
The lunchroom group discussed taking a Subaru to Bonneville-easier and cheaper than racing any circuit for a season-but the records for the classes for turbo-charged and normally aspirated Loyales were “pretty stout,” recalls team member Roger Banowetz, now at Subaru Research & Development. “One of the guys suggested the Justy and we all laughed at him.”
The 1.2-liter mini-Sube was long on economy, EPA rated at 38/41 mpg, but wasn’t without performance potential. It had an sohc two-intake, single-exhaust valve aluminum head that made the little three-cylinder a nine-valve engine.
Another asset was the composition of the team. The group of volunteers from the California-based Subaru Technical Center brought a variety of talents to their after-hours project of making a racer from the Justy.
The car would compete in a “production” class, which naturally doesn’t mean “stock.” It did mean a stock body and standard layout as well as a carbureted engine running on gasoline. As no car had ever bettered the Southern California Timing Association’s base time of 115 mph for I-Production, the team from STC destroked the 1190-cc triple to displace 997 cc. A custom billet steel camshaft, 12:1 pistons and steel tubular exhaust headers were fabricated for the engine, as was a custom intake manifold to mount the three 40-mm Mikuni motorcycle carburetors in place of the stock two-barrel Hitachi carb. Engine mods included using titanium valve spring retainers, removing the balance shaft and removing the springs from the bearing seals to reduce friction. A stock, Japanese-market 1.0-liter Justy crankshaft and connecting rods were used, however. As Banowetz says, “In all, very few racing components were used. [It was] a very stock and strong Subaru Justy.” Indeed, it eventually produced 120 hp at 9200 rpm, against the stocker’s 66 hp at 5200 rpm.
Rules allowed lowering, so the Justy was dropped three inches, decreasing frontal area, and a small Japanese- market front spoiler was added. Although stock trans-mission and final-drive ratios were used, the gearbox ran ATF for reduced friction. A homemade cool-fuel can looks like it was made from your grandmother’s cookie canister. “Cool” air was routed via the cowl and from behind the grille, the airbox made from a Pampers box and duct-taped together at Bonneville. Although an accessory tachometer was installed, the Justy’s dash, front and rear seats and even carpeting remained. A full roll cage was installed. The STC team took the Justy to Bonneville in August 1988, achieving a two-way average of 117.553 mph, a new I-Production record. A return the following August after a year of engine work yielded a “down run” speed of 123.938, with a return speed of 122.570, its engine screaming at 11,900 rpm through the traps. The two-way average was 123.224 mph, a new record and one that stands today. The Justy still exists, but it hadn’t run since it set the record. Subaru put it in running order again, and we not only heard it but drove it-a little-as well.
Don’t doubt we heard it run. The unmuffled exhaust gathers an immediate crowd. The three-cylinder actually will idle, though it has a lean stumble until revs are added. Then it’s like lighting a fuse on this nickel rocket. The Justy’s curb weight is only 1700 pounds, so 120 horses launches it hard.
Hmmm, wonder how many horses a full 1.2 liters would make? Maybe we could give those hot-rod Honda guys something to think about if we got an old Justy, cam specs from Subaru, some motorcycle carburetors
Old 03-06-2002, 09:34 PM
alacrity024

I want to see pictures.

-Adam
Old 03-06-2002, 11:14 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I don't want the pictures, I want the car!

...or at least the parts to mod my '88 Justy GL
Old 03-06-2002, 11:25 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I found a pic of the car on the Autoweek web site so I stole it to show everyone.

This is my first time attaching a file...hope it works!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg superjusty.jpg (10.9 KB, 258 views)
Old 03-07-2002, 07:19 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
That is one of the coolest things I've seen in my entire life.

I've been wondering - little here and there - if it would be at all possible to fit a 1.8L Impreza engine (with AWD) into a Justy. There's a surprising amount of room in there. It might require relocating the radiator, but...

Not that I'll ever get around to doing it. But what an autocross machine it'd be.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-07-2002, 09:46 AM
Lowered SVX

die justy....die.....

i am the anti-justy. i refuse to like that car.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 03-07-2002, 09:50 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: die justy....die.....

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
i am the anti-justy. i refuse to like that car.
Maybe you've already told me and I've forgotten, but what's your beef against the Justy?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-07-2002, 09:53 AM
Lowered SVX

honestly......

i think it mainly has to do with this idiot here in memphis that owns three of them. he wants to turn one of them into a impreza rally car look alike??!!

anyway, i guess everytime i think of the justy i associate with this idiot.

sorry justy.....
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 03-07-2002, 09:56 AM
Meow!

I would be interested in adding more juice to my Justy but I don't know how well my frame (or lack thereof) would hold up.

there's already a small twist in mine near the engine probably from either the offroading or racing or my few trips through hell with it
Old 03-07-2002, 10:45 AM
Member Incognito

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
I found a pic of the car on the Autoweek web site so I stole it to show everyone.

This is my first time attaching a file...hope it works!
And in their spare time they created a Justy that we'd have to work really hard to blow off into the weeds. What could they have done to an SVX?

"Flossie" - 92 black over pearl LS-L (sold)
"Gorgeous George" - 98 Audi A8 (traded)
"Gorgeous Genny" - 02 Audi S8 (sold)
"Green Giant" - 00 Land Rover Disco II
"Grey Wülf" - 05 Volvo S60 R
"Silver Surfer" - 92 black over liquid silver LS-L
"9 of 7" - 97 bordeaux pearl, formerly with Earl Steele
Old 03-08-2002, 02:26 PM
Lowered SVX

i bet once chuck gets done with his.....

it will be pretty damn quick. i think he is really the only one realistically trying to improve the overall performance of the car.
"Too much fun to drive!"