Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Audio/Video/Nav/Security

Old 01-19-2005, 08:36 PM
simonton

speaker farts

my 3-way 6X9 is farting at certain frequencies; im really afraid that it's blown... Is there any other possible cause of such a noise? It's not constant; it only happens sometimes, but most often at midrange frequencies; There are two tweeters in the center of the 6X9 driver and im afraid one is blown... It's a memphis pr93s, and I dont know how it could possibly have blown... It says it needs 60 W continuous and 120W peak; I have it hooked up to an alpine head unit, no amp; so its only getting like 20 W, so how could it have blown?

I've had the speaker for about 5 months; and only today has the noise started --- it really pisses me off... I wasnt really even listening too loud. The only thing thats changed recently is that I hooked up a new sub to an old crap amp; but thats not even related to the 6x9... I also just put in new door speakers that need the same power; the older ones only needed half of that, but I dont see how this could affect the 6X9.

I dont think theres anything anyone can tell me other than its blown, but im praying for some other answer because i just blew a ton of money on new door speakers, 3 new amps, and a new sub -- I planned to keep these 6X9's because they are so good.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:37 PM
Weasel 22

Re: speaker farts

It says it needs 60 W continuous and 120W peak; I have it hooked up to an alpine head unit, no amp; so its only getting like 20 W, so how could it have blown?

easily....too little rms power will blow a speaker just as well as too much...the too little takes longer but if you listen to it cranked up, the speakers wont last long..a speaker such as yours..saying they need 60w continous, just screams for an amp..the deck tho an alpine and good cant supply that kind of rms power
Old 01-20-2005, 08:42 AM

Gotta test segment by segment.

1) Speakers test: Do you have any other music source you can hook up to the 6X9s - in order to test them independent from the car system?

2) If OK, then run plain exposed wire direct from the head unit to the speakers.

3) If OK, then it's time to try a different head unit, or at least recheck the connections for ground, etc.

I find it hard to believe that a speaker rated for 60 watts RMS can be blown by any headunit which even while peaking & clipping could only manage around 50. That would require an extended play time at a severely clipped level.

As a result, I'm guessing you have encountered a wiring problem, a speaker defect, or the head unit output is screwing up - see 1, 2, 3 above.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:45 AM
simonton

ok; I've had this same set up for a good 5 months. Ive been dying to get an amp for the speakers; which i finaly could afford like a week ago; So right as the amps show up in the mail, this problem shows up with the speaker.

I cant beleive either that a 20W amp could blow a 60W speaker; I know that I havent been pushing the headunit so hard that its clippping. I wouldnt do that... and if I were and didnt know it, then why after 5 months would only one speaker blow.

I guess I'll have to hook up the new amp and just see how it sounds. Hopefully its wiring...

But; if the headunit amp has definately not been clipping, is there any other way for a speaker to blow? I do listen to mostly mp3 music files... But still, only one of 4 is damaged... I've also been re-arranging a lot around the speakers, Is there anyway I could have hit something against the speaker that would cause it to start this noise?
Old 01-20-2005, 01:02 PM

I just had a thought (gotta write it down fast cause I don't get many and they fade fast) - switch the wires from one 6X9 to the other and see if the problem moves or stays the same. If it stays the same, then it's the speaker, if it moves, it's the wiring or the head unit