Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 12-30-2004, 03:40 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Legacy Tranny Install questions

Down to under 10 projects at the moment so time to start thinking about the world's fastest prepared SVX on a track project. Have the legacy auto tranny here out of a gen I legacy. Also have the rear dif out of a gen I. Here's the questions for those who have done a similar swap.

What TCU do we use?
Which torque converter should we use?
Do I need legacy inner splines for the rear dif?
Does the tranny bolt to the SVX driveshaft?
How high do I need to get the car to be able to pull the old tranny and put the new one in it. We'll need to rig something as sadly we don't have a lift availble.

Thanks!!!
Old 12-30-2004, 04:07 PM

Re: Legacy Tranny Install questions

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
.snip...

What TCU do we use?
How high do I need to get the car to be able to pull the old tranny and put the new one in it. We'll need to rig something as sadly we don't have a lift availble.

Thanks!!!
Keep the SVX TCU
Keep the SVX torque converter (you would need the Legacy flexplate to retain the Legacy TC)
You swap the SVX limited slip center carier with the Legacy center carrier, so the axles remain stock.
Driveshaft slips right in, no problem.
Depends on what you're using to move the tranny around on. I got a tranny jack from Harbor Freight that's about 3" when fully collapsed. I put the rear wheels on ramps and the front on jack-stands where the A-arm connects to the sub frame. I slid the tranny on the jack in between the jack stands as it needed less height this way than taking it in from the side. I'm using 3-ton, ratcheting jack-stands from Sam's Club (I think they're labeled as Goodyear Racing or some such BS - chromed & pretty anyway). They weren't even all the way up, you just need enough so the bell housing part clears the oil pan & steering rack as you slide it back under.

One thing I found from an Imprezza was that the input shaft was slightly wrong for the SVX torque converter (too long). If the end of the input shaft on your new tranny doesn't look the same as the SVX input shaft, just carefully slide them out and exchange.

Also remember cautions from earlier tranny swap posts - make sure the TC is fully seated when you get to putting it all together or risk ruining the pump.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:12 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Re: Legacy Tranny Install questions

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
What TCU do we use?

Thanks!!!
I'll try to answer your questions from experience:

1) Use the SVX TCU

2) I used the SVX T/C with no problems. SVXfiles used the SVX T/C in one of his 4.44 swaps and the Outback T/C in the other swap he did on his son's SVX. They both work just fine.

3) Legacy inner splines? Not sure what that is but you need the Legacy rear diff and you'll need to swap the SVX limited slip hub into the legacy diff. Will require some grinding of some 'bumps' inside the Legacy diff.

4) No need to change anything with the driveshaft itself. You may need to change the flange on the front of the Legacy rear diff with the one from an SVX as they're different sizes.

5) My trans swap was done on a garage floor and the car was elevated about 2ft on jack stands. Much better to use a lift!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)