IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-08-2004, 02:48 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Unhappy

Just saw your picture. That is very hard to believe, and I am really sorry to see it. Hard luck man.

Temporarily tape up the windows with heavy plastic and duct tape to keep out the weather. It will work for rodents too till you get glass.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-08-2004, 04:42 AM
5 speeds rock! :D

Duct tape is really hard on the paint. I avoid whenever I can. I realize in your case the paint may no longer be important.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 10-08-2004, 06:01 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by svxhunter
Duct tape is really hard on the paint. I avoid whenever I can. I realize in your case the paint may no longer be important.
Good point, maybe not duct tape, use the see-through packaging tape.

I expect the duct tape will be easier on the paint than the weather will be on the interior. It's a matter of priorities.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-08-2004, 11:30 AM
(This account is in rememberance of)Duct Tape Man

Send a message via AIM to Yoda3000
for now I have some water resistant tarps. It doesn't rain much here but when it does there's no warning. I don't like to use duct tape out of habbit but I really have nothing to loose. The paint got chipped in a few places and it's already started to rust.

The glass I had was bronze I think, but it doesn't really matter. In addition to the glass what else would I need to put in new windows?

I've been searching a lot for another SVX; most of the decent running ones are 4 to 6 thousand.

I'd like to bring new life to a dead one, but any major machanical jobs like engine/tranny swaps I can't do myself.

My other obstacle is that any car I would buy would probably be shipped from the east coast and that alone costs a ton. Can you guys keep an eye out for something that could fit my needs?

Early deceased SVXWN Member
July 1986 -- February 2007

Michael - Duct Tape Man

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 138K: Brembo Slotted/Drilled Rotors, B&M Tranny Cooler and Filter, SmallCar Shift Kit

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 123K: DEAD FROM FATAL HAIL DAMAGE, Parting out so PM me if you need something.

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything" - Fight Club
"This is not my life, this is not my home, this is not me. I HATE THIS!" - Static X
Old 10-08-2004, 12:22 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally posted by Yoda3000
Can you guys keep an eye out for something that could fit my needs?
I would suggest starting a post in the Wanted/For Sale section. Post what price range, mileage, condition, color, model, etc would be acceptable, and hopefully something will turn up.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 10-08-2004, 06:25 PM

Talk to Dayle at Motorsport Warehouse (through this board). He's not in NM, he's in AZ- Tuscon I believe. But that could be a doable distance.

He's always got several for sale. I'll bet he's got connections to find a nice non-running one. They are also frequently on E-bay.

You should be able to find a non running one in pretty good shape for $1500- $2000. Look for one with no rust (not hard in the southeast), good paint and good glass.

It will probably have a bad tranny. Perhaps also wheel bearings. Interior may show wear. A tranny swap for a competent mechanic is not a big deal- a couple of hundred dollars. Even a motor swap is not that hard. Since your interior is good, you could resolve any interior issues without to much difficulty (if this is beyond your skill level, there are many people who can handle this level of mechanics).

Keep the one you've got for parts until you've driven the new one for several months, to make sure you've got all the gremlins. Then sell a few significant parts (perhaps a motor, a nice interior, or a front clip). Without selling off every last detail piece of the car, you should be able to recoup perhaps a thousand. If you're patient and want to go for every last piece of the car, you may get as much as $2500 in parts.

Then say goodbye to your baby and have it towed away. It will feel good to no longer get that sick feeling in the pit of your stomache when you see it in the driveway, and also to know that the soul of your babe still rides under you in the new car you are driving.

If you buy a car for $2500, pay someone $500 in labor, and sell $1000 in parts you can ride again for $2000 in a nice SVX. I'm sure you don't want to part with 2K, but it beats $3000- $4000.

Good luck!

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 10-08-2004, 06:26 PM

Here's a pearlie in FL with a bad tranny. Unfortunately it is in FL, but the price is dirt cheap at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

Old 10-08-2004, 06:31 PM

This guy's selling 2 in Wisconsin. He might sell the parts car cheap without all the added performance parts junk- looks like a '92 LSi

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

I know, it's still far. But at the right price, shipping is not impossible (I shipped an SVX from Pheoniz to Americus, GA for about $800).

Old 10-09-2004, 11:18 AM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Yoda, I sent you a PM

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 10-09-2004, 12:07 PM

Thanks a lot svxhunter, that's some good advice. That 92 Pearlie in FL looks like a good buy too. My dad is coming up today to look at my car and talk money. Then I can get more serious about searching. The good thing is I'm not desperate for a car right now so I can take my time and shop wisely.

The other good news is Socorro was declared a Disaster Area, so if the people here can claim 2 million dollars in uninsured property damage by noon on October 12 we may get some government assistance.

We need 2 million! Total reported so far $780,176 (as of 1:26 p.m. 10-8)

get the whole story here

Hey Look! To make my car feel better I made it a costum car cover.

Michael - Duct Tape Man

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 138K: Brembo Slotted/Drilled Rotors, B&M Tranny Cooler and Filter, SmallCar Shift Kit

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 123K: DEAD FROM FATAL HAIL DAMAGE, Parting out so PM me if you need something.

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything" - Fight Club
"This is not my life, this is not my home, this is not me. I HATE THIS!" - Static X

Last edited by Yoda3000; 10-09-2004 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:07 AM

Damn, that's terrible

Hey look at it like this. If you were to sale it for parts, then that mean you're mechanically inclined to do it (fix it) yourself. Like they said, the hood and trunk lid shouldn't be that hard to replace. I'll take a strong runner before a good looking car that can't take you anywhere, anytime Windows are replacable too. So just weigh your options and time and see what you come up with. But with weather like that I'd start with a garage myself. Good luck man, I mean it.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:42 PM

Well, since chitownsvx revived my thread I'll give you all an update. I think we totaled up more than 2 million dollars in uninsured damage so now FEMA is interested in us. I heard they were going to come down here and asses the damage. If they do decide to give us money it would probably only be for windows, but that'd still be great. For now I'm driving a beater Nissan truck but if I got windows I could drive my car again. I made my car a temporary windsheild out of lexan that will be enough for my car to drive the 4 1/2 hours to Chama, were it will retire if I don't get real windows.

My dad and I intend to save up some money to get a non-running SVX, so I'll probably be in the market again early next year.

Quote:
with weather like that I'd start with a garage myself
The weather people said they have never seen a hail storm of that magnitude last that long. Anywhere. Ever. This is not a normal storm for new mexico.

Look at my new windshield! It's just like a Nascar with no windows.

Michael - Duct Tape Man

Old 10-17-2004, 12:01 AM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Quote:
Originally posted by Yoda3000

Dayum son, you da redneck, jus put a gun rack in da back
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:21 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Wow

That is some damage!

I have seen pictures of hail damaged SVXs from Japan. Never anything that broke glass, usually tiny pock marks all over the roof, bonnet and bootlid.

In fact, a guy in Scotland bought such a car, I remember talking to the guy via email in 2003 just before the 10th Anniversary meet.

Cost of repairing your car here with that sort of damage would make it a write-off.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl