SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-19-2004, 05:29 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Engine Noise

Today I took my '97 into the dealer to have it checked out for an engine noise. Upon cold start-up, there is what sounds like a very loose valve tappet. while is is deminished somewhat with the warming of the engine, it never really goes away. I have about 200 more miles on my warranty (the car has 68K on the clock), and I wanted it check out before it expires.

The mechanic indicates that it is nothing to worry about (apparently there was a Subaru rep at the dealer today that also listened to the "noise" as well, and he concurred). It could be a valve tappet or "piston slap", but that I need not be concerned about it. That's "good to know", but I now have it in writing "BEFORE" my warranty expires in case there is a problem "down the road". The car, BTW, runs fine with no other problems. Perhaps I am just too picky about engine noises.

Anyone else experienced this kind of noise in the engine?
Thanks,
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 02-19-2004, 08:40 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Talking

Harry, the car has developed "auto-cross asthma", a common chronic symptom of cars subjected to cone inhalation in the springtime. Not much you can do except put her out to pasture & crank up Willie K. full blast on the CD to hide the noise.

Ron (Willie currently hiding my wheel bearing).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to rmjjensen
I have the same problem. I looked into it a little further with my stethoscope (long flat head screw driver) and found that the idler pulley is making a lot of noise. being that that was the problem, I have yet to replace it.

I'm actually looking to fix it next weekend.

5-Speed Status: DONE!
Lambo Door Status: On hold but will be a success

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

The Mobile Computer Interface - featuring the SVX | My Locker | My Secret Stash
Old 02-20-2004, 05:16 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by rmjjensen
I have the same problem. I looked into it a little further with my stethoscope (long flat head screw driver) and found that the idler pulley is making a lot of noise. being that that was the problem, I have yet to replace it.

I'm actually looking to fix it next weekend.
Thanks, that gives me another place to check. I'll post and let you know. If you replace the pulley and it solves the problem, please post and let us know.
Thanks again, rmjjenson.

Ron, I think I put the exhaust on to avoid the noise and Willie K.

BTW, I assume you are coming to the autocrosses this season?

Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
Old 02-20-2004, 05:57 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Harry,
I agree that getting yourself a auto stethoscope (yeah, I use a big screwdriver too! -- you can get "fancy" ones at most parts places) and checking around the engine. You should be able to focus in on the source fairly quickly. The fact that it doesn't go away totally makes me wonder about it being a lifter, especially since I'm sure you've been religous about your oil changes. Just to cover all your bases, you might try adding a can of upper cylinder lube to the oil and see if that helps (if, indeed, you do have a lifter that is a little "sticky").
Are you sure your SVX isn't just asking for a little attention from you? You haven't been keeping it outside at night, have you -- especially with that new luxury garage you have now
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 02-20-2004, 06:29 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Re: Engine Noise

Quote:
Originally posted by newsvx
Today I took my '97 into the dealer to have it checked out for an engine noise. Upon cold start-up, there is what sounds like a very loose valve tappet. while is is deminished somewhat with the warming of the engine, it never really goes away. I have about 200 more miles on my warranty (the car has 68K on the clock), and I wanted it check out before it expires.

The mechanic indicates that it is nothing to worry about (apparently there was a Subaru rep at the dealer today that also listened to the "noise" as well, and he concurred). It could be a valve tappet or "piston slap", but that I need not be concerned about it. That's "good to know", but I now have it in writing "BEFORE" my warranty expires in case there is a problem "down the road". The car, BTW, runs fine with no other problems. Perhaps I am just too picky about engine noises.

Anyone else experienced this kind of noise in the engine?
Thanks,
Harry

I'm really picky too man... Don't worry about it though... I've heard that Subaru's are known to have a little ticking sound... Nothing to worry about from what I've heard..

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 02-20-2004, 07:33 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SVXRide
Harry,
I agree that getting yourself a auto stethoscope (yeah, I use a big screwdriver too! -- you can get "fancy" ones at most parts places) and checking around the engine. You should be able to focus in on the source fairly quickly. The fact that it doesn't go away totally makes me wonder about it being a lifter, especially since I'm sure you've been religous about your oil changes. Just to cover all your bases, you might try adding a can of upper cylinder lube to the oil and see if that helps (if, indeed, you do have a lifter that is a little "sticky").
Are you sure your SVX isn't just asking for a little attention from you? You haven't been keeping it outside at night, have you -- especially with that new luxury garage you have now
-Bill
Bill,
I have in fact added some of the upper cylinder lub, and it "seemed" to help some. But not enough to not take it in.

And yep, I use Mobil 1 and change it and the filter every 3-4K miles - over-kill, I know, but good insurance.

Nope, the SVX stays in the garage (I now have it about where I want it but wishing it was larger already). And my wife gives me a hard time these days 'cause I drive the truck rather than the SVX. But now that my warranty is about to run out, I'll be driving it more. Hard to believe that not quite four years ago, the SVX only had 9K on the clock. Sure am glad I don't do the commute thing any more. BTW, I watch the traffic report for the DC area from here in "the country" and think about you guys (briefly) having to drive in the madness .
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
Old 02-20-2004, 01:28 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Harry, My cold engine tapping has gone away this winter since using 1/2 qt MMO with every oil change over the summer. I think the oil flow is very low in the hyd valve lashers and is a good place for gunk build up. I think the MMO cleaned it out. I have also heard from others that MMO is no good. So I have to wait and see................

There have also been some posts about an engine noise that sounds similar to a bad conn rod bearing coming from a NOT-new T-belt tensioner. But no one has any direct experience on this yet from what I have seen. I will not know for sure until the next T-belt change.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
This one works great!!!
http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.j...=16&search.y=5

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .