How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-16-2004, 10:32 PM
nextcubepro

Cold starting...

My SVX luckily starts in all weather conditions. From the 101 degree day in july in NYC, to the 3 degree (-25 with wind chill) last night. Runs the same in all conditions. Warms up in the same amount of time, although in sub zero temps, it seems to create a bit more vibration during the first minute of warming up. Temperature gauge always stays at the milimeter below the middle of the gauge when fully warmed up. Cool.

But I was wondering, since the engine idle jumps to almost 2k RPM right when you turn the key, and then settles to 1.5k while warming and slowing going lower, is warming up even nessassary anymore? Like, is it okay if I drive it immediately after I start it as long as I keep the revs below, say, 2,250 RPM until it's fully warmed up?

A friend told me NO NO NO NO NO!!! The oil isn't fully running through the engine yet, and that makes it metal to metal contact. But if the car hits 2k RPM right when it starts up, why can't I drive it softly? Wouldn't the spinking of RPMs while driving softly actually accelerate the oil flow safely?

Basically, what are all y'all routines for warming up your SVXs? Do you wait for it to be fully warm, or do you just start and drive? And is the "metal on metal" thing true, or just a myth fit only for older cars? Just want to know so I can keep my SvX running well for a good, long time...

Any input greatly appreciated.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan
my 2 cents for what its worth

What he is saying about the oil not flowing is absolutely correct, in EXTREME EXTREME cold, I have known the oil to be actually tacky. And I have known a case where the pistons were scored quite badly b/c of extreme cold and the fact that the car was run immediatly after starting. But its not like it takes long for the oil to loosen up. Just start it and give it 2 minutes. Metal on metal is a terrible terrible thing, if you accelerate the movements of the pistons, while true, your accelerating the time it will take the oil to flow, your also accelerating the heat in the engine block BEFORE the oil is there, leaving you quite easily with scored pistons. I HAVE seen cars damaged by this before.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:04 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I did the cold test with synthetic oil vs conventional oil.

It was -33°C and both containers of oil were left outside overnight. I first poured the synthetic oil into my engine and it poured like honey. I then had to actually squeeze the other container to get any oil out of it.

Needless to say the conventional oil did not go in my engine and all I ever use is synthetic.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:16 PM
nextcubepro

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
I did the cold test with synthetic oil vs conventional oil.

It was -33°C and both containers of oil were left outside overnight. I first poured the synthetic oil into my engine and it poured like honey. I then had to actually squeeze the other container to get any oil out of it.

Needless to say the conventional oil did not go in my engine and all I ever use is synthetic.
Wow...big diff. But as I said in another thread, my father said a friend told him that going from conventional to synthetic oil can be bad for your engine. Is there any truth to that? Does anyone have any experience with this?
Old 01-18-2004, 12:07 AM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally posted by nextcubepro
Wow...big diff. But as I said in another thread, my father said a friend told him that going from conventional to synthetic oil can be bad for your engine. Is there any truth to that? Does anyone have any experience with this?
There is no real evidence to prove that there is any risk to your engine by changing from natural to synthetic oil. For a some time it was believed by some that changing from Synthetic to Natural was bad. Recent research has shown that theory has no basis. My father worked as a crew chief on a NASCAR race team for some time when I was very young...seeing as the engines he worked on were high-strung monsters...I am inclined to watch what he does with his cars and do the same with mine. He uses Mobil 1 in his truck...but if it needs a quick top off he will, on occasion, throw in some plain old havoline.

As someone said earlier in this thread...if your engine is subject to extreme use or temperatures, synthetic is a great way to go for extra protection.