How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-13-2003, 02:54 PM
tag007

Anyone installed an SVX windshield?

I am needing to change out a windshield. I have picked up a salvaged one recently, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this?
The windshield is currently rather fixed to the rubber gasket, and it seems that this is completely in tack. I have also noticed plastic fasteners attached to it and a thin bead of the original adhesive.
It seems that the adhesive is the only thing that secures the windshield...

Thanks.

-Trent
Old 04-13-2003, 03:10 PM
iyamwutiam

In case people didn't know

I need a windshield too.
Am interested in this reply.
BTW how much for the windshield - and do they have another one?
How come they wouldn't install it for you - from what I heard the most difficult part is taking it out intact not putting one in.
Old 04-13-2003, 03:18 PM
tag007

Long story. Basically $1000 for new windshield installed. Took about 4 months to find one local to my area. Cost me $125 from the salvage yard. Now I am going to have the class shop come out and install, just want to know if I am missing anything before they make it out here.
FYI I guess these windshields are pretty hard to come buy, and are pretty expensive from subaru. I would check local, and you are right they are notoriously hard to pull. I had two junk yards say they wouldn't touch it. If I wanted it, I had to pay for it up front, then have it removed by someone else.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:50 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I have been trying to find out about windshield replacement for sometime. I don't need one yet but will someday. I think you are braving new territory. It sounds to me that the rubber gasket is supposed to come with the windshield. Do you think that is correct? Or do the clips you see fit into metal of the window frame? What do you think the plastic clips are for? Do you have any pictures available? Does the glass shop have instructions on how to do the work? It would be nice to get a copy. I assume they never did one before.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:14 AM
tag007

What I see is a rummber gasket glue (rather tightly) that goes around the edge of the windshield. Then I see a bead of glue that is used to fasten the windshield to the car. I am getting mixed results as to whether I need to replace this what is called dam rubber. To me, I would if it was damaged, but this is not, only cut through adhesive. Also, this dam rubber is tight, and I don't know what I would use to remove it.
Hope this gives you some Idea as to what I am seeing and trying to figure out. And yes it does seem I am going into uncharted territory. Instructions would be great.

Thanks for the interest.
-Trent
Old 04-14-2003, 09:47 AM
iyamwutiam

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ld+replacement

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...&threadid=3798

Hope that helps
Old 04-15-2003, 05:36 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Unless I missed something it does not say if the dam rubber stays attached or not.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:32 AM
tag007

It doesn't mention anything specific about installation. Anyone with firsthand experience with this, please reply...
Old 04-17-2003, 04:14 PM

the air dambs on the edge of the windsheild stay on the glass and come attached to new glass. they are for added stability at high speed by directing the air over the top of the car adding downpressure. aslo helps shead water onto roof instead of side windows like most cars. The plastic TITS on the underside of the top of the windsheildlocate the glass on to the body of the car. there are to holes in the frame that they go into.
Old 05-16-2003, 01:54 PM

Windshield

If the SVX is like most modern cars, the windshield is installed using urethane. You have to cut the glass out of the car using cut out tools - air/electric, or hand cut out knives.

You cut the windshields out from inside the car - the urethane is under the black screened "fretting" border around the windshield. FYI - the black screening around automotive glass is to protect the urethane underneath from UV rays.

After the glass is cut out, you trim the remaining urethane on the vehicle down to a thin ribbon - you leave some for the new urethane to bond to. The new windshield must be prepped with urethane auto glass primer as well.

You apply a bead of urethane around the perimiter of the windshield opening (pinchweld), and set the windshield onto the urethane. They sell suction grips with handles to hold the windshield - you need 2 people. YOU MUST USE FMVSS COMPLIANT AUTOGLASS URETHANES TO INSTALL.

Its not rocket science, and having the correct tools makes it pretty simple, but if you screw up and break the glass its a total loss.

Aftere installed, you check for leaks immediately with a gentle flow of water - while the sealant is wet - Urethane actually cures faster when its wet. Any leaks can be fixed by filling in from inside, or moving the urethane around with something to seal it up.

I used to work for a major supplier of products to the glass industry, and train on installing truck windows via this method - I did not do windshields, but the process is the same.

You can check www.crlaurence.com - they only sell wholesale, but just about any business can buy.
Old 05-16-2003, 01:58 PM

regarding "dam" rubber

Dam rubber is usually used to contain urethane sealant from spreading beyond the area to be glued. It is not expensive, and comes on rolls with psa. You put the tape around the outside edge of the opening and apply your adhesive inside that. The bead of urethane adhesive must be taller than the dam tape to make contact with the glass.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:10 AM
tag007

Update

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...threadid=11853