Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-30-2003, 05:28 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
squealing and grinding

so, uh, something is wrong with my car. I had the transmission in first gear trying to diagnose my exhaust buzz. I would rev it up to about 3000RPM where the buzz started every time. I was getting happy because I was pinpointing the conditions of the buzz. So, I approach my apt at 3000 RPM and I let off the gas and turn into the parking lot. As I slowed and turned, there was a definate grinding sound. Almost sounded like rusted brake calipers, but I didn't have the brakes on, I was just slowing down in 1st gear. That means that the tranny was doing the slowing instead of the brakes. So, I took a few laps around my parking lot and every time I turned and coasted down from 3000RPM, the grinding was there. There was also a high pitched squeal when turning full turn in either direction. Anybody? Under the conditions, I'm worried it's my front diff. Can anybody else recommend otehr things it may be, like suspension or steering components? Thanks.

Mat
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 06-30-2003, 05:40 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
The high pitched squeal on full lock turns is most likely the power steering belt.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:27 PM

naaa...It's not a belt. I've had the belt sound before and this isn't it. It sounds more like a worn brake pad, but it's only there when I'm turning full turn and I don't have to be braking. In fact, I think it goes away when I brake. The grinding is bugging me more than the squeal. Thanks for the input, though.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

Old 06-30-2003, 07:42 PM
Green1995SVX

How much material is left on your brake pads?

Mike
Old 06-30-2003, 08:01 PM

They're new. Less than 5000 miles on them. Lots of ideas for the squeal, but none for the grinding??

Old 06-30-2003, 08:08 PM
Green1995SVX

maybe one of your caliper pistons is sticking or something? or maybe your sliders are sticking. try putting some anti sieze lubricant on the sliding portion of the calipers.

Mike
Old 07-01-2003, 04:09 AM

Yea, I'd kinda figured that should be my first try for the squealing. Would that explain the grinding too?