Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-27-2003, 08:36 PM

Question WRX Radio In SVX (Illumination Problems)

This past weekened I put in the WRX 2002 radio head unit in my SVX. What fun, as some of you may know! When I installed the radio, I used that Scosche connector (SU03RB) along with the SVX connector that SVXdc (the person that sells the SVX adapter) I am having problems with illumination. I noticed that when the head lights or parking lights are "OFF" the LCD screen is lit up with the green back ground for when driving at night. And when I turn on the parking and head lights, the green illumination goes away. So it it seems like it is going in reverse to what I need it for. Did any of you come across with the same thing? Please help, I am confused and already dread the thought of taking out the radio again. Thanks.

awdsvx
Old 04-28-2003, 06:36 AM
Porter

Strange.... you may want to run a reversing relay for the illumination circuit. That would be time consuming.. Your other option is to disable the illumination wire entirely and just run with the display light on all the time. That's what I'd do in your position. Make sure you cap the wires off.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:02 AM

Question Radio Confusion

Hi Porter,

Thanks for the reply. I already did that. I disabled the illumination wires and caped it off to see what it would do. I found out last night driving that the only thing lit was the LCD screen, but nothing else was lighted. I mean the buttons for the radio stations, AM/FM, etc., nothing. So I don't know. Thinking about just having the local Suby dealer look at it.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:55 PM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

There's a wiring diagram somewhere on this forum - check the how tos. There are two red wires in the harness that look identical but have different functions. Perhaps you swapped them during hookup.

Also, there's a possibility that the Scosche connector isn't really correct for the SVX.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 05-15-2003, 09:20 AM
SVXDriver

The WRX headunits are lit green no matter what day or night. At night the screen dims. I suggest that you get the Impreza/Forester gauge pack harness. Then redo the install with that and you should be good to go. I did a Legacy headunit swap into my SVX and I know that the pins in and out of the WRX headunit are the same.
Old 05-15-2003, 11:12 AM

WRX Radio working

Thanks for all the tips! I finally got my illumination problems solved. The Scosche Connector was missing a PIN. Just bought another one. I took it apart and put the PIN and wire into the empty slot of my first connector. LOL I also now have an orginal WRX radio wiring harness that connects to the back of the radio if someone wants to buy it from me. Let me know, thanks again.

awdsvx
Old 05-15-2003, 07:48 PM

A friend of mine installed a Legacy headunit into his Toyota truck when he was selling it, and i noticed his did the same thing. I asked him if it killed his battery and he said it didnt really do much. idk just thought i'd share

1998 Acura Integra LS 74k Sold 1/07
2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5 .04k!
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, 4x4 TRD Sport