How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-15-2005, 04:29 PM

Registered SVX
Quiet or what?

The other day I was leaving work, I was sitting in my car this guy comes over to the window ( a fellow worker ) I put down the window and he kneels down with his arms resting on the sill. He asked me a few questions and before he leaves he says what year is this car? I said 92, he says nice shape, how does it run, I said you tell me it's running. He didn't believe me so I goosed it. he said I'll be darn. That is not the first time someone didn't believe it was running. One guy told me I left my lights on , I said it's ok it's running. Anyone else have this happen?
Old 05-15-2005, 04:50 PM
fl_svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Luciano
The other day I was leaving work, I was sitting in my car this guy comes over to the window ( a fellow worker ) I put down the window and he kneels down with his arms resting on the sill. He asked me a few questions and before he leaves he says what year is this car? I said 92, he says nice shape, how does it run, I said you tell me it's running. He didn't believe me so I goosed it. he said I'll be darn. That is not the first time someone didn't believe it was running. One guy told me I left my lights on , I said it's ok it's running. Anyone else have this happen?
I am glad you brought this up. After I bought mine, my wife came out to ask me a question, I got out of the car, leaving it running.....we had a chat and then I told her I would be in once I turned off the car. She looked at me kinda funny. I then realised something I had not considered since my rotary days, damn this thing IS quiet. I had to do the MAN thing by pretending that this was not the first time I had noticed it....I told her, yeah...pretty quiet, eh?
Old 05-15-2005, 09:30 PM
ThetaReactor

I think that was their main reason for putting a tach in an automatic vehicle. If I've got the radio on I've gotta look at the gauge to see if it's running...
Old 05-15-2005, 10:03 PM
antidisestablishmentarian

Send a message via AIM to Rd96SVX Send a message via MSN to Rd96SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaReactor
I think that was their main reason for putting a tach in an automatic vehicle. If I've got the radio on I've gotta look at the gauge to see if it's running...
LOL i do the same thing whenever i stop , i check the tach to make sure it hasn't stalled and stopped. I used to drive an accord and I could always tell it was running be the steering wheel vibrating, in the SVX I don't even get that.

Also when I showed my dad for the first time, he said < hmm it looks nice, why don't you fire it up?... I reply... It's running....... he says... Daaaaaamn

good times
25,000 lb GVW Trans-Cooler
Wet-sanded "cleared" Headlights
Charcoal 22% Tint
Removed intake resonator
'95 Probe GT Wheels
'97 grille

"New Addition" 1992 Teal LS-L
+156k mi.
Status... Reconditioning
Old 05-16-2005, 12:10 AM
Hater

i remember that.....before teh Stebro exhaust.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 05-16-2005, 07:18 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
i remember that.....before teh Stebro exhaust.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 05-16-2005, 07:42 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

That has happen to me. A guy I work with saw the SVX and said I have never seen a car like that before. Then he said "It's running! Wow that engine is quiet". Oh yeah!
Old 05-16-2005, 02:44 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Mine's quiet...even with the Stebro and hollow cat...but only at idle.

There have been occasions when people still didn't believe my car was running. They can definately hear it at auto-x though!
Old 05-20-2005, 11:48 AM

Registered SVX
On the Quiet note.... I also notice how quiet it is when people are trying to talk to you and the windows are up. My wifes brand new Acura TL is not 1/2 as quiet, and yes, you can feel vibration in the wheel of the 6 cyl 270hp Acura.
I have video of my wife driving in Kansas doing 85 MPH air on low, and the radio/CD on and it sounds like it was a silent movie and I dubded in the music.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:40 PM

Mine's very quiet, too. (Has a pleasing snarl when you stand on the gas, tho', even with the stock exhaust.) There's a reason the sticker price on these cars was so lofty: They're well-made automobiles. Given the overall quality of the car and current asking prices, I believe an SVX is among the best values on the road. Couple that with unsurpassed looks, and how can you go wrong?

dcb
Old 05-20-2005, 02:09 PM

Sweet Quiet Ride

For me the quiet ride is one of the best features of the SVX. I've been driving noisey sports cars for so long the SVX is like a limo. All the road tests show well under 70dba interior noise levels. The OEM stereo in the '92 is excellent and the lack of noise allows for v. good fidelity. With the new tires, Avon MTech 500's, the ride is now also v. quiet. Now all I can hear with the windows up on the freeway is a little wind noise, and the 'snow tires'...that's the noise the rear wheel bearings make when they start to fail. After the new bearings are in I'll go after the wind noise. I was suprised at the exterior quiet at idle the first time I was outside the car before a technician drove it away. Suprised because I couldn't hear it at idle but it did make very nice porschesque exhaust sounds accelerating away.
dcb has it right-Sweet ride! Especially for the money!
WGJ

Last edited by WGJ; 05-20-2005 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:26 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Mine makes too many weird sqeaky/rattly noises but it used to be so quiet I would be sitting somewhere like a light and think it died.
So I would turn the key and get buzzed by the awful sound of trying to start a car that is already running.
Good times.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:49 PM
antidisestablishmentarian

Send a message via AIM to Rd96SVX Send a message via MSN to Rd96SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S.
Mine makes too many weird sqeaky/rattly noises but it used to be so quiet I would be sitting somewhere like a light and think it died.
So I would turn the key and get buzzed by the awful sound of trying to start a car that is already running.
Good times.
....ewwwwwwww, ohhhhh... that's why you check the tach.... yikes
25,000 lb GVW Trans-Cooler
Wet-sanded "cleared" Headlights
Charcoal 22% Tint
Removed intake resonator
'95 Probe GT Wheels
'97 grille

"New Addition" 1992 Teal LS-L
+156k mi.
Status... Reconditioning
Old 05-22-2005, 08:50 PM
fl_svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGJ
For me the quiet ride is one of the best features of the SVX. I've been driving noisey sports cars for so long the SVX is like a limo. All the road tests show well under 70dba interior noise levels. The OEM stereo in the '92 is excellent and the lack of noise allows for v. good fidelity. With the new tires, Avon MTech 500's, the ride is now also v. quiet. Now all I can hear with the windows up on the freeway is a little wind noise, and the 'snow tires'...that's the noise the rear wheel bearings make when they start to fail. After the new bearings are in I'll go after the wind noise. I was suprised at the exterior quiet at idle the first time I was outside the car before a technician drove it away. Suprised because I couldn't hear it at idle but it did make very nice porschesque exhaust sounds accelerating away.
dcb has it right-Sweet ride! Especially for the money!
WGJ
After the wheel bearing change I have taken mine out on several drives, about half and half city and Interstate. I am so amazed at how quiet she is. Even with the sunroof open, there is not a lot of wind noise, which I have become accustomed to, especially in the NB. I know that tires and road surface does play a factor, the new Fulda's are VERY quiet. What really gets me is on the interstate, cruising at 80 or so, which is the norm here....tunes jammin...I mean, it is amazing to me. You know you have a quiet car when you only have to bump the stereo 2 notches up when on the interstate. Other than the tunes, the wind noise from the ac is the next loudest. What a car.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:50 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rd96SVX
....ewwwwwwww, ohhhhh... that's why you check the tach.... yikes
You haven't heard anything until your brain farts you into shifting into park while coming to a stop.
I did that in a FWD XT6 in Phoenix. Wasn't sure if that's what killed it later on or if it was the fact it was sold to me without T fluid.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.