Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-30-2005, 02:45 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

I thought those were cleaners only
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 04-30-2005, 02:52 PM

My daily driver is a F-150 with dual tanks. I went to the gas station the other day ($2.63 for 87 octane) and filled up almost 38 gallons! I need a raise.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:51 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl_svx
Well, in Sarasota I pay $2.53, if I go to Bradenton (different county 10 miles away) it's $2.43. Go figure.

As for who is responsible is hard to say, but since I am on my soap box, here are some interesting facts. China has gone nuts buying cars and they built refineries. We have not built a new refinery in this country in 30 years. 30% of the refineries 30 years ago have been closed. We are at 97% capacity now...and Bush Jr. begged the saudis to send us more oil, which as the Saudi's pointed out, we cannot refine anyway. One oil company netted $4Billion dollar profits in this last quarter and has the nerve to ask the Federal Government to give them tax breaks to build refineries at $1 billion a pop. Who is kidding who? Junior slammed Kerry for wanting to raise the price of gas $.50 to help resolve the problem, well...the price has gone up more that $.50 a gallon and we have nothing to show for it but the profits for the oil companies, who just got MORE tax breaks for the Feds.
What he said. Exxon/Mobile have broken their previous quarterly profit record in every quarter except one since George took office 10 January 2001. Which of course was 17 days before the first 9/11 terrorist set foot on US soil. 4 and 1/2 years later, some of us are still waiting for something to go "right".

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 04-30-2005, 07:36 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Could Be Worse

Like I said--you could be paying $.50 more per gallon on top of everything now. Or you could be paying the prices that most of the world has paid for many years. Check the prices in London, Tokyo or just about any other foreign city outside of the Middle East.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 04-30-2005, 08:14 PM
Namaah

Im to lazy to check the prices and then do the whole exchange rate from euro or yen... come on make it simple for me and tell me... PLEEEEEEEEEZ
Old 04-30-2005, 08:29 PM
fl_svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77
Like I said--you could be paying $.50 more per gallon on top of everything now. Or you could be paying the prices that most of the world has paid for many years. Check the prices in London, Tokyo or just about any other foreign city outside of the Middle East.

Lee
Well, the result in Europe and elsewhere with high gasoline prices is the extraordinary use of public transportation and intercity rail, which we do not have to the same degree, in fact..Junior wants to kill Amtrak altogether. In the countries with the higher gasoline prices, it is not the oil companies who are gouging the consumer, it is in the form of government taxes. With our current tax structure, we don't have enough money to build or repair our roads, bridges and infrastructure to the extent they need to be done. In this country, we have no cogent energy program to wean us off fossil fuels. In 8 years, without having any semblance of a space program we put men on the moon. As a nation, we must realize that the oil will run out and then where will we be? I'd spend $.50 a gallon on gas to force the automakers to find alternative fueled vehicles. We did it with emissions controls and the auto industry said it could not be done. All it takes is the government to make the hard decision NOW rather than later. Imagine how powerful a nation we would be to have the majority of our industry running on something other than fossil fuels. We would be leading the world with this technology. By doing nothing we leave the door open to everyone else, and then where would we be? Look, Honda came up with a new program in California last week, your own home fueling station for their natural gas vehicles. Now, it is not the end all solution, but it is a practical start. You refuel at your own home from your own gas supply that is already there. Duh !!!! Why did Detroit or the Feds not think of something so simple?

Last edited by fl_svx; 04-30-2005 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:38 PM

Honda

Yeah,
that Honda system is pretty cool, it compresses the natural gas to liquid form. It looks nice, I just wish someone would come out with a kit to convert an existing car to alternate forms of fuels. They would make a mint if it was inexpensive enough.

Steve
Old 04-30-2005, 08:48 PM
fl_svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohopirates
Yeah,
that Honda system is pretty cool, it compresses the natural gas to liquid form. It looks nice, I just wish someone would come out with a kit to convert an existing car to alternate forms of fuels. They would make a mint if it was inexpensive enough.

Steve
Well, I used to fly up to Vancouver BC every weekend during the summer and was amazed that the taxi's all run on natural gas. Dunno why it cannot be done to many vehicles. The trick is where to put the tank, one the rear wing? Or...hey...I know...rplace the rar wing with a tank that looks like a rear wing. Cannot be any heavier than it is now. Teezin, but this is what I am talking about...if not now, when?

The fuel cost with the Honda system is 1/3 the cost of using gasoline, according to Honda.

By the way, the argument that there are no natural gas stations does not hold water, there was a time when there were no real gas stations too.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:53 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Well, I used to fly up to Vancouver BC every weekend during the summer and was amazed that the taxi's all run on natural gas. Dunno why it cannot be done to many vehicles. The trick is where to put the tank, one the rear wing? Or...hey...I know...rplace the rar wing with a tank that looks like a rear wing. Cannot be any heavier than it is now. Teezin, but this is what I am talking about...if not now, when?

The fuel cost with the Honda system is 1/3 the cost of using gasoline, according to Honda.
In South Korea, taxis run solely on natural gas. The tank is mounted just behind the rear seat. As a result the cars are very safe as there's a good 4ft of crumple zone between the rear bumper and the tank (can't say the same for Crown Vic's).

The car model the Korean manufacturer Hyundai converts to natural gas is most commonly the Sonata.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 04-30-2005, 09:04 PM
fl_svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
In South Korea, taxis run solely on natural gas. The tank is mounted just behind the rear seat. As a result the cars are very safe as there's a good 4ft of crumple zone between the rear bumper and the tank (can't say the same for Crown Vic's).

The car model the Korean manufacturer Hyundai converts to natural gas is most commonly the Sonata.

-Chike
Crown Vic's, the revenge of the Pinto. Actually to be fair to the Pinto, the main case against it was it being hit from the rear by a drunk driver hitting it a 55 mph, the Pinto was parked. As for the Crown Vic, I think it criminal that Ford has refused to accept responsibility for the problem. I mean, they offered to fix the cop cars,but the ordinary Joes are out of luck, unless my info is dated.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:43 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
I mean, they offered to fix the cop cars,but the ordinary Joes are out of luck, unless my info is dated.
That's the last I heard as well....

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 04-30-2005, 11:05 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Energy Plan

If you read the proposed energy plan it does many things to make the air cleaner, develope alternate fuels, drilling to decrease dependence on foreign oil etc. If it had been passed 4 years ago we would not be as bad off as we are now. And before you bad mouth drilling in Anwar---only talking about drilling on 2000 acres of over 50,000,000 (50 million) acres.

Gas prices: UK 5.64
Hong Kong 5.62
Germany 5.29
Denmark 5.08
Italy 4.86
Japan 3.84

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 04-30-2005, 11:30 PM
fl_svx

Quote:
If you read the proposed energy plan it does many things to make the air cleaner, develope alternate fuels, drilling to decrease dependence on foreign oil etc. If it had been passed 4 years ago we would not be as bad off as we are now. And before you bad mouth drilling in Anwar---only talking about drilling on 2000 acres of over 50,000,000 (50 million) acres.

Lee
The drilling on Alaska is no concern to me. I am sure the tree huggers will keep them in line. We don't have the refinery capacity to use it anyway. 30% of our refined products comes from overseas anyway. As far as the energy bill is concerned, you and I both know that it's a sham, just like all ove the other energy bills were before it. President Carter had it right with the windfall profits tax in the late 70's. Oil companies are reaping humungous profits but complain that they cannot afford to build new refineries, nor pay to explore for more oil. So the Feds give them tax breaks. The Ap said: "Since the end of 2003, Royal Dutch/Shell Group of Cos., BP Group PLC, Exxon Mobil Corp. and ChevronTexaco Corp. have earned a combined $97 billion, including $23 billion during the first three months of this year.
" A new refinery costs $1 billion and 7 years to build. So who needs tax incentives? I agree that incentives will be needed to foster alternative fuels, but the reason is that the government refuses to step in and force the issue. I suspect that the Congress in general did not have a clue as to what was in the bill. The same was with the Patriot Act, most lawmakers admitted to not knowing what was in the bill, they did not have time to go over it. I suspect that this oversight may be more prevalent than we know. What we need is an energy policy that strikes at the heart of the matter. Junior asked the Saudi's to increase oil production knowing full well we did not have any excess capacity to refine it, even the Saudi's made that point clear. The saudi's have even offered to build refineries only to run into brick walls. Refineries do not solve the future problem of running out, which we will. If the President can say that Social Security will run out of money 40 years from now, and NOW is the time to act, then why not take the same approach with our energy needs? Social Security affects many people, but everyone will be affected by not having any oil. Our national security is at issue if we run out of oil.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:46 AM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:

Gas prices: UK 5.64
Hong Kong 5.62
Germany 5.29
Denmark 5.08
Italy 4.86
Japan 3.84

Lee
I wouldn't care if they drilled for the S$%^ in my back yard. It's not like I have a pool back there.

But!! They are not going to get enough volume to even make a dent on the price of fuel, or significantly reduce our dependence. That has already been published by the banks who plan on bankrolling the day to day operations. It's the reliance on increased prices that makes the idea profitable. We both know neither Junior, nor the oil companies, are wanting to do this for some grande patriotic reasoning. They want to make a buck. Nothing wrong with that... and like I said... I don't own a pool. But they do... At least 1 at every home they own throughout the world.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)

Last edited by Electrophil; 05-01-2005 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Add a sentence.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:05 AM

Last time I filled up (about a week ago) I paid $2.50 for 94