Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-02-2016, 03:36 PM

Need help...I have a miss!!!

Actually, it is my son's car. 1994 FWD with about 60,000 miles. Car developed a miss, so, we pulled plugs, and found the rear plug on passenger side was the problem. Carbon deposits and, obviously, not firing.

First thought was coil. Replaced the coil, and still have the issue. I confirmed it was that cylinder by unplugging that injector, and observed no change.

Any ideas?? I need to get this figured out, he is itching to get a truck, so this car may be for sale, and don't want to sell it as it is.

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

kevlars
Old 06-02-2016, 04:14 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: Need help...I have a miss!!!

You did change the plug, right? Try swapping injectors.
Has the timing belt ever been changed? You could remove a cover and confirm it hasn't skipped a tooth or two.
Beyond that it could be a valve issue but highly unlikely with so little mileage.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:25 PM

Spark plugs have all been changed. I don't know about timing belt. But, wouldn't that cause an issue with more than one cylinder? If I change the injector, what is the best way to tell which cylinder is not firing, short of seeing it on the plug? I'd rather not pull the plugs if I don't have too.

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-02-2016, 05:44 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlars View Post
Spark plugs have all been changed. I don't know about timing belt. But, wouldn't that cause an issue with more than one cylinder? If I change the injector, what is the best way to tell which cylinder is not firing, short of seeing it on the plug? I'd rather not pull the plugs if I don't have too.

Thanks for the help!
Same as before. When you unplug one and there is no change... See if the misfire follows the injector from the bad cylinder.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
Same as before. When you unplug one and there is no change... See if the misfire follows the injector from the bad cylinder.

Oh, DUH!! I actually found this one by looking at the plugs, which needed changing anyway. I will try that. Thanks!!

kevlars
Old 06-02-2016, 06:20 PM

Never removed an injector. What do I need to know? I don't want to mess one up removing it.

kevlars
Old 06-02-2016, 06:36 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Sorry, I can't help you there. I've only removed them on a GMC truck and that was many moons ago.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:43 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

If you are desperate remove the whole rail and sent all three to Mr Injector for cleaning and testing. http://www.mrinjector.us/ We did that on a spare set of rails and got great service. Not cheap/not horrible. Well worth it. He also has a video on removing SVX type injectors but if memory serves, he does it with the rail removed. Have you check YouTube for videos of people who have removed injectors?
Old 06-07-2016, 11:16 AM

Let me join in on the "help I have a miss" party...

I've got a miss in the #5 cylinder, according to the OBDII code reader at AutoZone. I was thinking coil pack too, but it clears right up after the car warms up.

The car is also getting increasingly hard to start - I'm not sure if that's related but I thought I'd throw it out there and see if it rings any bells. It's got a brand new battery (like a month old), and that seems to have ~12V (11.96 or so), but when I crank it it just goes, "R-R-R---R--R-R-R----R-R-R-R" and then will finally catch and I have to give it a bunch of light revs to keep it going. Meanwhile the whole car is shaking. Once it warms up though, it's good to go. I can drive it to work. turn it off, re-start it (again with the struggling bit) and it'll run just fine.

So, to summarize: runs REALLY rough until it warms up and then is just fine. Also really really really struggles to start.

(This car is becoming a money pit!)

'96 LSi, Laguna Blue (retired - soon going to a new home)
'89 XT6 5 speed (Gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by Austin; 06-07-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:01 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlars View Post
Never removed an injector. What do I need to know? I don't want to mess one up removing it.

kevlars
Ok I have not actually removed one yet but the method is to twist the entire injector 90 degrees counter clockwise (I believe) and then pull straight out, but it will be a tough pull but don't use anything that will mar the surface as it will no longer seal. This is of course after removing the injector cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Let me join in on the "help I have a miss" party...

I've got a miss in the #5 cylinder, according to the OBDII code reader at AutoZone. I was thinking coil pack too, but it clears right up after the car warms up.

The car is also getting increasingly hard to start - I'm not sure if that's related but I thought I'd throw it out there and see if it rings any bells. It's got a brand new battery (like a month old), and that seems to have ~12V (11.96 or so), but when I crank it it just goes, "R-R-R---R--R-R-R----R-R-R-R" and then will finally catch and I have to give it a bunch of light revs to keep it going. Meanwhile the whole car is shaking. Once it warms up though, it's good to go. I can drive it to work. turn it off, re-start it (again with the struggling bit) and it'll run just fine.

So, to summarize: runs REALLY rough until it warms up and then is just fine. Also really really really struggles to start.

(This car is becoming a money pit!)
I will guess you have one or more injectors that leak small amount of fuel when cold or turned off, I was having the same problem, and today starting the car I think its back, what I did was pull the fuel rails off of my parts engine and put them on, I now have 6 injectors to send out for flow testing, I was told here in jax there is a place, L & J Diesel services that will do it for $10 per injector
Old 06-09-2016, 05:54 AM

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...fuel+injectors

Spray a bit of WD40 or Kroil at insert site after cap/connector removal and let it penetrate over night. Grab the injector with a rag for grip and fairly gently twist it while pulling upwards. Should pop free. Above link gives source for replacement pintle caps which are on the bottom of the injector and often need replacing..pretty cheap so even if yours are intact, better to replace. Similarly new O ring sets available on eBay, AutoZone, et. al. I use silicon spray to lube them up for insertion since I think engine oil can deteriorate the rubber..one injector site rebuilder says engine oil is fine though.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92SVX
I will guess you have one or more injectors that leak small amount of fuel when cold or turned off, I was having the same problem, and today starting the car I think its back, what I did was pull the fuel rails off of my parts engine and put them on, I now have 6 injectors to send out for flow testing, I was told here in jax there is a place, L & J Diesel services that will do it for $10 per injector
$10 each is awesome. Too bad it's my daily driver, but maybe I could carpool with my daughter for a couple of days.

Oddly enough my hard starting seems to have cleared up. The miss isn't too bad now either - weird. Just every now and then it'll "catch" while idling... just a little tiny hiccup once in while. CEL is still lit. I'm in the process of deciding on a new phone, so when I do I'll get an OBD2 app and deal with it a little more.

For now, I'll leave the "help I have a miss" party.

Thanks for the good info on the injectors, both of you!

'96 LSi, Laguna Blue (retired - soon going to a new home)
'89 XT6 5 speed (Gone but not forgotten)
Old 06-15-2016, 05:36 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

A 1994 is OBD1 so that app won't help you.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:15 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
A 1994 is OBD1 so that app won't help you.
Austin has a 96, in this thread it is 2 different people and cars with similar problems
Old 06-15-2016, 06:21 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

If your getting your injectors serviced, I recommend Mr. Injector. Had great results with two different cars.