Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-30-2016, 07:46 PM
Some Random Weirdo

What else would I need to use this for a 5 speed swap?

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/5603998430.html

2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon 5spd.

I am fairly sure this would work for a 5 speed swap but what else I need to do it? I don't know if this is an ideal trans for it, but everything seems to be there and it has a new clutch. Seems like a good deal if you are trying to do the swap on a limited budget.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:30 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: What else would I need to use this for a 5 speed swap?

That will get you most everything you need....still will need some fabrication with the driveshaft, and the pedals...and a stronger clutch and pressure plate would be a good ideal...
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 05-31-2016, 10:51 PM

Registered SVX

i have the shifter linkage and drive shaft
Old 06-01-2016, 03:00 AM
Some Random Weirdo

I was hoping to get by on the clutch seeing as the one in there is fairly new.

Does anyone know anyone who does the swaps that is in Eastern PA? I may just keep my 4.44 but I am considering this right now.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:15 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton View Post
I was hoping to get by on the clutch seeing as the one in there is fairly new.

Does anyone know anyone who does the swaps that is in Eastern PA? I may just keep my 4.44 but I am considering this right now.
If you just use it as a driver, and not hard launches, the fresh stock clutch will work OK, but won't handle a lot of abuse.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 06-01-2016, 08:22 AM
SVX n00b

Registered SVX

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but since you asked who does the swaps on the east coast, there is an issue that needs to be brought up.

The member who fabricated many of the 5-speed swaps has chosen to stop producing these parts. I have asked about purchasing any jigs or templates so that I could continue providing parts for the community, but the member has never directly responded to those requests.

I have searched around for a good set of instructions on how to modify the pedals (the most difficult part of the swap), but there isn't a lot of good information out there. The most helpful response I got from the previous vendor was, "Just look at the AT & MT pedal boxes, it will be obvious what needs to be modified."

Does anyone have photos of a modified hydro clutch pedal box modified to fit the SVX?
Old 06-01-2016, 09:16 AM

I just finished installing pedals from a 2004 WRX. Not sure how they compare to a Legacy. Really not much to modify on the pedals, at least the way I did it. There was an extension at the top of the clutch pedal that needed to be cut off and that was all I did. The big issue I had was getting the gas pedal to work. The top of the lever that the cable fits into sits too high and hits the tube carrying the clutch shaft. I had to grind the top of the lever as much as I could and then file out the bolt holes on the gas pedal bracket to it would slide down far enough to allow lever to clear the clutch shaft. Maybe other ways to do this but that is what I did.
Also, getting the pedal assembly positioned correctly under the dash is a lot of work. Wasn't sure it was going to work at first but eventually got it.
Good luck.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:11 AM
SVX n00b

Registered SVX

Did you use the WRX gas pedal or the OEM SVX pedal? Do you have any photos of your work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj7630 View Post
I just finished installing pedals from a 2004 WRX. Not sure how they compare to a Legacy. Really not much to modify on the pedals, at least the way I did it. There was an extension at the top of the clutch pedal that needed to be cut off and that was all I did. The big issue I had was getting the gas pedal to work. The top of the lever that the cable fits into sits too high and hits the tube carrying the clutch shaft. I had to grind the top of the lever as much as I could and then file out the bolt holes on the gas pedal bracket to it would slide down far enough to allow lever to clear the clutch shaft. Maybe other ways to do this but that is what I did.
Also, getting the pedal assembly positioned correctly under the dash is a lot of work. Wasn't sure it was going to work at first but eventually got it.
Good luck.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:28 AM

I used the SVX pedal. The WRX lever for the throttle cable is shorter and might have been OK but I couldn't see an easy way to get the bracket to bolt up to the SVX. Totally different bracket. Might have been able to use it if I wanted to mess around with it for awhile but thought it was easier to use the SVX pedal. In hindsight maybe should have spent more time investigating what it would take to use the WRX one. Don't have any pictures and as it is all bolted up and under the dash don't think I could get anything that would be useful.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:38 PM

I don't know if you've sorted out the pedal issue yet or not, but I have a pedal set for the swap that came with my SVX. I've never used it, but it was supposed to be ready to "bolt in".. I have all the bits for the swap, except for the clutch assembly.

If you want pics of what a "supposed" bolt in pedal asembly looks like, lemme know.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:59 PM

Registered SVX

mine is very similar to the way your's is done, but instead of grinding off an slotting out the brackets my welder just cut the pedal rod and chopped out 1 or 2 inches then welded it back shorter. in this pic you can sort of see where it was cut and welded, but he did such a great job you can only barely see it.