SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-13-2021, 07:49 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Parts for Timing Belt Replacement

After waffling about I've finally decided to get my timing belt replaced. I don't have the wherewithal to do it myself.

I've gleaned some info from various threads an put together this list of parts which I think I need. The list is based on doing things while the radiator and fans are out for access to the front of the engine.

I'd appreciate if other members could chime in with any suggestions or comments.

One concern is that a couple of the timing cover gaskets are no longer available from Subaru.

Have I missed anything?

Timing Belt Replacement

13028AA120 Timing Belt \

13085AA020 (x2) Idler \

13073AA150 (x2) Idler pulley \

807045030 (x2) plug intake cam \

13068AA051 Tension adjuster CP belt

806732150 (x2) Camshaft Seal exhaust \

806733030 Crankshaft Oil Seal \

? timing cover gaskets
13584AA090 inner right rear Discontinued

13586AA060 inner left rear \

13559AA010 outer cover right front Discontinued

13560AA010 outer cover left front Discontinued

13587AA000 outer lower \

13597AA010 outer upper \

806919050 Oil Pump Seal Discontinued

----------

21111A033 Water Pump \

2116AA020 Water Pump Seal \

21114AA051 Gasket \

------

062610110 Power steering / reservoir o-ring Discontinued
34413PA001 Power steering idler pulley Discontinued
808218210 V-belt a/c

Items discontinued by Subaru as at Feb 24, 2021
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.

Last edited by SVX_MY_BABY; 03-10-2021 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-13-2021, 08:39 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: Parts for Timing Belt Replacement

The Ebay Dayco timing belt kits are good. You should stick to the OEM water pump though.
If i the cover gaskets are just for the plastic covers I wouldn't be too concerned. The covers are not sealed anyways.
Old 02-13-2021, 03:05 PM

Definitely a good idea to replace the Timing Belt Cover Gasket. Although you may only have to replace the side and lower from pieces, since this is where the oil seeping from cam/crank seals tends to end up, causing the gaskets to swell. Seems the left and right side gasket parts are getting harder to get these days.

As Blacky says, not replacing the timing belt cover gasket isn't a big deal, I've found they are often missing parts of the gasket (or completely missing the gasket thanks to the previous owner...). But I'm always wanting to get things as close back to factory as I can, and kept regretting the timing belt jobs I did where I didn't replace the cover gasket.
Old 02-13-2021, 03:50 PM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX

Thanks for the replies.

Does the list of parts look complete? Have I forgotten to check on anything while things are opened up?
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:21 PM

I think you have a pretty comprehensive list, but may depend on your goals.

I would also add:
13069AA070 Timing Belt Tensioner Idle Pulley

I would also include the power steering belt and the AC belt, unless I'd changed them in the last few 1000 miles. If changing those belts I would also consider changing the power steering idler pulley and AC idler pulley.

Changing all the idlers can really quiet down the engine, and get ride of most of, if not all of the whiny grrggrgrgrgrrrrgrrr sound coming from the engine.

Cheers,
Ian.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:07 PM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX

Just got pricing on OEM parts as above including the power steering pulley & belt. $2051 Cdn. Holy crap. The six hours labour is obviously the cheap part.
Old 02-17-2021, 04:01 PM

That feels really steep, and wrong.

On ebay there are "Subaru SVX timing belt kits" for $220usd and up. This should have everything other than the timing belt cover gaskets and the AC/power steering belts and pulleys.

The AC and power steering idler pulley seems to be found for $20-$50usd each (from a quick Google search). The power steering and AC belts should be $10-$20 each.

You should be able to get everything you need for under $400usd.

What are the big ticket items you are seeing?

It's a pity we can't get the bearing id numbers and just replace the bearings on all the idler pulleys, this would save a lot. I used to drive an Outback H6, that had a $180 idler pulley on it, I was lucky to get the bearing number and fix it for $5 rather than pay $180 for a new pulley...
Old 02-17-2021, 04:47 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX

I recently replaced the following items on SVXY ('92 SVX):

1)Timing belt, cover, gaskets & pulleys tensioner & belts
2) Good used radiator...JB Weld on top tank of original radiator that I put on finally gave up the ghost after 15 yrs.
3) Head and valve cover gaskets
4) Reman. starter
5) Front steering rack
6) Good used EGR valve
7) Left front fender liner
8)New spark plugs & wires
9) Recover front seats (What a PIA)
10) New front steering shafts & boots
11)Driver's sun visor

The car now runs great. The cost was much more than the car is worth, but you can't put a price on love.

PS. $2K is too much for that kit
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 02-18-2021, 06:51 AM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by irox View Post
That feels really steep, and wrong.

What are the big ticket items you are seeing?
Here's a couple of examples. I was planning on using OEM parts. From reading some of the posts I got the distinct feeling that after market pulleys and belts were a bad idea.

I got US prices off of subaruparts.com.

Timing Belt 253.54 Cdn 134.64 US = 171.60 Cdn
Water Pump 274.16 Cdn 118.76 US = 151.26 Cdn
Timing Belt Tensioner Pulley 194.89 Cdn 91.70 US = 116.56 Cdn

The gaskets and seals are all literally just over twice as expensive in Canada.

Even with shipping and a possible 10% import duty it will be cheaper to buy the parts in the US.

We also have a 15% Goods and Services Tax here on local or imported items.

I was thinking I'd replace everything once it was opened up. Now I'm think I may not replace some of the pulleys etc if they aren't making any noise.

I've booked the car in to the shop for March 1st so they can tear it down and give me a parts list of what they think needs replacing. All the parts are "special order" here.

Am I being paranoid about after market parts? I see Rock Auto has a bunch, including A/Cdelco Pro timing belt and others.

I'd like to order up the essentials (ie what's in the kits on line) to have them here in advance, thinking possibly that's all that will be needed.

Am I being foolish rethinking this? What would you guys do?

Any other US sources for OEM. subaruparts.com is the only US place I've sourced from before for the SVX.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:55 AM

I'm also a fan of using OEM when I can. But finding OEM stuff is harder to get has made me less resistant to other options.

Yeah, some after market pulleys seem to have strange off-sets. If you use them, measure them against your current pulley(s) and check they will keep the belt in the proper place and aligned with the other pulleys.

I'll start a separate thread on replacing the bearing for idler pulleys, this should allows us to keep our know working pulleys and save some money.

Everything outside of the timing belt cover is easy to access, you will easily/quickly be able to replace a pulley or belt when they show signs of wear. So just doing the basic timing belt replacement would be fine.

I find myself shopping at multiple places looking for the best prices. Sometimes amazon.com, sometimes ebay (although I've found fake OEM parts on ebay - they still worked, but the OEM label was fake), and sometimes at various subaru dealers.

Each dealer seems to have their own parts websites (sometimes multiple) and prices can vary between each one. Note subaruparts.com is really part of tacomasubaru.com, which also has parts.tacomasubaru.com (with higher prices). A quick check at other places and I see oemsubarupart.com (part of subaruoflittlerock.com) is a little cheaper than subaruparts.com. I've also bought from parts.libertysubaru.com and parts.bestbuysubaru.com. Price are always changing, often I'm buying the parts at separate to get the best deal.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:57 AM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX

Well I've decided to go for everything OEM per my orig. post bought through subarupartsdeal.com in the USA.

I've marked discontinued by those parts which Subaru no longer has.

For those outside of the US subarupartsdeal.com does not ship outside the USA not do they allow pick up orders, so you need a US shipping address. They also don't accept "foreign" credit cards. They do accept paypal, but only from cash balance if from outside USA.
I used cash and shipped to a friend who is going to forward my order to me.

The joy of SVX!

Last edited by SVX_MY_BABY; 02-22-2021 at 12:01 PM.