How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-19-2002, 07:57 AM
Way over-the-hill Member

Tranny #2 goes south

Call me crazy. Call me stoopid. call me whatever.
After 135K on a Subaru/Nissan rebuilt tranny 3rd and 4th has gone by the wayside. Rather than putting my baby out to the bone yard I am, in typical SVX fashion, getting another factory rebuilt installed. I really babied the tranny this time. The first one went at 79K.

Maybe I'll buy a new Forester.
Old 08-19-2002, 09:31 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Smile Re: Tranny #2 goes south

Quote:
Originally posted by Clydesvx
Call me crazy. Call me stoopid. call me whatever.
After 135K on a Subaru/Nissan rebuilt tranny 3rd and 4th has gone by the wayside. Rather than putting my baby out to the bone yard I am, in typical SVX fashion, getting another factory rebuilt installed. I really babied the tranny this time. The first one went at 79K.

Maybe I'll buy a new Forester.

Hi Joe - Who gets the work & how much $?
So's I clearly understand, you got 135K out of the rebuilt one?
You gotta stop driving so much!

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:40 AM
Way over-the-hill Member

Heritage, as usual. I think it will be the STANDARD, somewhere around 3K installed. I only had 2nd gear left by the time I limped into the shop. Just my luck, Jimmy is on vacation. I originally thought the transmission mount had snapped again, but no such luck.

I was letting it sit when I had my '87 GL10. That ended when my Daughter totalled it. The downside of letting the SVX sit was the damn squirrels were hiding stuff under the intake manifold. At least they wern't chewing up the hoses. I was lucky that I smelled something cooking when I did. My doller store GRABBER purchase was well worth the $1 I paid. It was long and skinny and the jaws opened just enough to drag the stuff out.
Old 08-19-2002, 11:14 AM
CopsodyX

Heritage Subaru in Maryland? DON'T DO IT! Mine was rebuilt by them 30,000 miles ago and they forgot to put a filter kit on the car! Now it's getting funny with me!
Old 08-19-2002, 11:32 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by CopsodyX
Heritage Subaru in Maryland? DON'T DO IT! Mine was rebuilt by them 30,000 miles ago and they forgot to put a filter kit on the car! Now it's getting funny with me!

Cody - There are about four members here that have had work done by Heritage with decent results to my knowledge. Are you speaking of the external filter for the '92 that was the result of a recall? Did you get a warranty?

Ron.

'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
Old 08-19-2002, 11:38 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Wink

Quote:
[B The downside of letting the SVX sit was the damn squirrels were hiding stuff under the intake manifold. At least they wern't chewing up the hoses. I was lucky that I smelled something cooking when I did. My doller store GRABBER purchase was well worth the $1 I paid. It was long and skinny and the jaws opened just enough to drag the stuff out. [/B]

I had fieldmice build a nest between the motor head & front of the hood in my tractor mower once. After 10 minutes -"Wassat smell"? Ain't rodents fun?

Ron.

'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
Old 08-19-2002, 11:39 AM
Way over-the-hill Member

The external filter only goes on the EARLY '92's. I have one on mine even though it's a late '92.
Subaru, or Nissan are the one's doing the rebuild. Heritage only does the install.
Like I said, the last rebuilt Subaru installed lasted 130+K.
Old 08-19-2002, 02:18 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Mice? How about squirrels?

I had a terrible racket in my Swift once, when I turned on the blower. Dropped it off at the dealer and went shopping. When we returned, he said he found the problem....reached under the counter and came up with two handfulls of acorns!

Maybe if I had run the blower longer, I could have made some acorn butter... Don

Last edited by SVXphile; 08-19-2002 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-19-2002, 08:33 PM
CopsodyX

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert

Cody - There are about four members here that have had work done by Heritage with decent results to my knowledge. Are you speaking of the external filter for the '92 that was the result of a recall? Did you get a warranty?

Ron.
Okay, here is the Heritage SVXperience on my car:

- First replaced wheel bearings at 30,000 miles.

- Second replacement at 70,000.

- Third replacement at 80,000.

- Forth replacement at 95,500. Not done by them, thank god. Lets see how these hold up.

- Tranny first replaced by them at 66,190. The car came with many upgrades already, including the filter kit, when new. They put an older tranny than the one that came with the car in, with no filter kit, and with the binding on turns problem. Bad tranny mount, backlash, manual button has no effect on tranny operation. Sometimes shifts jerkily.

- Original owner paid for timing belt to be changed, but they never changed it.

- Service manager said it was okay for her to fill it with 87 occasionally.

- Mass airflow sensor replaced at 90,000 miles. I'm getting terrible mileage. He told me that 10 is almost normal for these cars.

Need I say more?
Old 08-19-2002, 08:59 PM
Way over-the-hill Member

This HERITAGE is in owings mills Maryland. I have been having my SVX serviced here since 1999. They were the only ones who could fix wheel bearings. Valley Motors could not and neither could Russell.
Old 08-19-2002, 09:05 PM
CopsodyX

Quote:
This HERITAGE is in owings mills Maryland. I have been having my SVX serviced here since 1999. They were the only ones who could fix wheel bearings. Valley Motors could not and neither could Russell.
Yes, i'm referring to the one in Owings Mills, Maryland. In my poor SVX's experience, I wouldn't trust them with a Yugo. But that's just me. I wish you the best of luck. Maybe my SVX was just very unlucky with them 8 times, plus the ultra-arrogant service manager, who refused to put in a filter kit for me, even after I proved my car should have had one, and insisted that the SVX has no major tranny problems regardless of what the internet says, because people are lying to get Subaru to pay for their transmissions. Again, best of luck.
Old 08-19-2002, 09:56 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Cool

I had all belts, waterpump, cam seals, plugs, one wheel bearing done by Heritage 4K ago. So far all's OK. Cody, I don't know who your service person was, but I asked for Jimmy, (recommended by ClydeSVX) who told me to make my appointment when the one SVX mechanic was available. He was pleasant to do business with, & as I said, no complaints yet. Fingers crossed.

Ron.

'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
Old 08-19-2002, 10:00 PM
CopsodyX

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
I had all belts, waterpump, cam seals, plugs, one wheel bearing done by Heritage 4K ago. So far all's OK. Cody, I don't know who your service person was, but I asked for Jimmy, (recommended by ClydeSVX) who told me to make my appointment when the one SVX mechanic was available. He was pleasant to do business with, & as I said, no complaints yet. Fingers crossed.

Ron.
I hope everything works out for you, too. Please hope the same for me