Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Wanted or For Sale > SVX's and SVX Parts For Sale > SVX Parts For Sale

Old 03-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: Rebuilt Steering racks "feeler"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
I do get the point actually. Someone post up the final price of what it cost them to get one rebuilt at a local shop or at least get a quote. I know locally by me, there aren't any shops who will do this work-or at least that I've found/heard of. The problem is going to be that any local shop is still going to have to go out and buy the seals needed from Subaru so parts cost is going to be the same. The key is going to be that their labor rates are obviously going to be higher than what it is for me to do this...

Edit: Or is a local shop going to find all the right seals for the rack right away from another source?-this isn't sarcasm either, honest question...
Do the research. Yes it might mean you have to look at a classic car magazine or restorers monthly as just like carb builders and good chromers these type of businesses don't "need" customers. They tend get more then they can handle. Where do you think someone gets a rack rebuilt for a 48 Hudson? A seal is just that. If you have the specs they are available. National Bearing Co is a very good source. Subaru doesn't do a good service of providing this. Honda (at least Honda bikes) list all the dimensions in their parts lists. The local shop found all the seals for my dessert dried tvr even though to this day I still have no idea who made the rack. You need to keep in mind that researching alternative seal sources usually isn't cost effective when your paying honest mechanic wages.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:18 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Do the research. Yes it might mean you have to look at a classic car magazine or restorers monthly as just like carb builders and good chromers these type of businesses don't "need" customers. They tend get more then they can handle. Where do you think someone gets a rack rebuilt for a 48 Hudson? A seal is just that. If you have the specs they are available. National Bearing Co is a very good source. Subaru doesn't do a good service of providing this. Honda (at least Honda bikes) list all the dimensions in their parts lists. The local shop found all the seals for my dessert dried tvr even though to this day I still have no idea who made the rack. You need to keep in mind that researching alternative seal sources usually isn't cost effective when your paying honest mechanic wages.
Good points. This is why all of this is just a "feeler" I will be able to "tear into" a spare rack in about a month or so. When I do this, I will be able to get all of the seal dimensions and find other sources for replacements. If I'm able to find all of the needed seals at a much cheaper price, this will also reflect the price that I would be selling this for. This is what this thread is for. Perhaps I should have put it in the tech section instead of straight here right away.
That is why I am trying to get info as to how much one would really cost so that I know what I have to compete with to find out if its worth my time to beat whatever the lowest price option out there is. So if people can get a quote from a local shop, thats great. Right now the lowest price that I have to "compete" against is about $230 shipped for the engine RPM version and $330 shipped for the vehicle speed sensitive version.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:48 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Aftermarket rack for the svx? Would one off an sti work? Would it be lighter?
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 03-25-2010, 08:06 PM

Registered SVX

Last edited by 1986nate; 04-07-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:28 AM

Registered SVX

Alright, so since the deal to buy the current extra steering rack I have seems to have fallen through (no payment received in over a month) I will be able to start tearing into that rack instead of having to wait until after Reading where I am getting another one. Hopefully I will have some progress and info in the near future.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:19 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

That's great. Make sure to keep us updated. I'm sure this will be a great service for everyone who owns an SVX.... With leaky ps racks..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 04-09-2010, 09:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to thickasxthieves
Registered SVX

is there any way to quicken up the steering ratio while your in there? just wondering.... cause that would be sweeet.
Stage 2 ECUTune chip, 370cc injectors, ECUTune valve body and TCU, solid rubber motor mounts from a forester, outlaw phenolic spacers, COBBTuning lightweight blue crank pulley, Bontragerworks 22mm rear sway bar & endlinks, StrongFlex poly front sway bar bushings, Powergrid adjustable front sway bar endlinks, 17" MOMO CORSE RPM wheels w/ Toyo Proxes4 225/45, drilled/slotted rotors f/r, stainless lines, ceramic pads, Blue silicone radiator hoses, power mode switch, gold jdm hood badge, 20% tint all around, Hella optilux xtreme yellow fog bulbs

parts waiting to go on car: the rest of the strongflex polyurethane suspension bushing set
Old 04-09-2010, 09:54 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by thickasxthieves View Post
is there any way to quicken up the steering ratio while your in there? just wondering.... cause that would be sweeet.
Not easily or with the components there. You would have to change out the entire steering gear assembly. And not sure if anything else would be easily compatible meaning you would need things custom made. Probably not going to be worth the price to pay. You could get the front steering rack from a JDM 4WS though. Those came with a "quicker" turning gear than all other models.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:43 PM

I've got a leaky steering column. But does this mean it's leaking power steering fluid? I checked mine after I failed inspection and still after months the fluid is still at the same level. He quoted me for 1400 dollars. That's pretty steep. Does anyone here know a cheaper alternative?
Old 04-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GgabrielBenitez View Post
I've got a leaky steering column. But does this mean it's leaking power steering fluid? I checked mine after I failed inspection and still after months the fluid is still at the same level. He quoted me for 1400 dollars. That's pretty steep. Does anyone here know a cheaper alternative?
No it means you need to find an honest mechanic. In theory I suppose it is possible to be leaking but in reality I've never seen a column leaking grease unless a seal fell out completely. If that's the case a used column and 2-3 hours labor should take care if it. I know Subeman90 has a column he's trying to get rid of. Might want to hit him up.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:54 PM

Registered SVX

Well, just an update, but I finally have the old rack completely disassembled and will start looking around for the various seals needed as time allows.
Will keep you all posted

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: