Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Wanted or For Sale > SVX's and SVX Parts For Sale > SVX Parts For Sale

Old 03-25-2010, 02:58 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Thumbs up Rebuilt Steering racks "feeler"

I've been seeing a lot of people lately who are having very leaky steering racks and are looking for replacements. It seems the only options right now are buying 13-18 year old used racks that more than likely are also going to have worn out seals and leak before too long as well. Or, going and dishing out, what, $450 or higher +core charge for a rebuilt rack? I'm not sure what the price is, but just guessing buy what people that have posted have said.
How many people would be interested if I were able to sell rebuilt rack and pinion units with all new seals and boots, would include tie rod ends, and everything checked out and 100% guaranteed to be correct for the SVX? I'm not going to list a price as of yet as I want to make sure I can get it all done properly, install it on my own car and ensure that it performs as it should as well as not have any leaks. I can ensure that even with shipping charges, it would be significantly less than what our options seem to be currently.

-Nate

Last edited by 1986nate; 03-25-2010 at 03:01 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:44 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
Re: Rebuilt Steering racks "feeler"

Yeah I'd be all in. I've been putting off buying a new rack for a year now because of the cost.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 03-25-2010, 02:18 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Yeah I'd be all in. I've been putting off buying a new rack for a year now because of the cost.
What would a price (after core charge) be that people would be a little more comfortable? including shipping? $250 with a $150 core charge added that would be refunded upon returning your old rack(after checking out making sure everything is in good shape other than seals, etc)? I would have to have a high core charge in order to ensure that people send their old ones back of course.

Last edited by 1986nate; 03-25-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:31 PM
Looks and smells great.

I'd be up for it.

For what it's worth, steering racks found here:
http://www.partswebsite.com/subaruca...i=6&type=parts
are $204.14 for non speed sensitive, $304.41 for speed sensitive (just for price comparison's sake).
1992 LSL Pearlie: 108k, 15min/$15 mod, Alternator wiring "upgrade," Power Mode switch, K&N drop-in, 4500k 35w low-beam HIDs, 3000k 35w fog HIDs, lots more planned (pending funds, of course)- 4.44 5spd being at the top of the list.
"We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
-C.S. Lewis
Old 03-25-2010, 02:41 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
I'd be up for it.

For what it's worth, steering racks found here:
http://www.partswebsite.com/subaruca...i=6&type=parts
are $204.14 for non speed sensitive, $304.41 for speed sensitive (just for price comparison's sake).
Thanks for the link, shipping also adds $30 from them so perhaps it may end up only to be beneficial for those looking for the speed sensitive type from the LSI, LS-L, etc. Keep in mind that from me they would also include the tie rod ends which don't seem to be included at all from any other rebuilder which saves the person time from having to swap those over.

I could possibly also get the final cost down lower in the future if I find O-rings and other seals that are cheaper from other sources that are the exact same after being able to compare the OEM seals to what else might be available.

Last edited by 1986nate; 03-25-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

+1

Slowly but surely I'll get all the leaky/19 year old stuff off my car. This would be a big step in the right direction. Thanks for taking this on.
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:53 PM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

I don't need one now but I would definitely be interested when the time comes.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 03-25-2010, 03:43 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Not to take anything away from Nate but there are plenty of shops (the ones where mechanics work not just parts replacers) who will rebuild a rack and virtually every area has a shop that specializes in rebuilding racks. It is a lot like axles, starters and alternators though anymore. Its is simply cheaper to buy an aftermarket replacement rack made in a country with cheap labor rather than paying decent rates to rebuild one. I had my TVR rack rebuilt locally last year. Cost me $75. Granted it is a manual rack but you get the idea.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:23 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Not to take anything away from Nate but there are plenty of shops (the ones where mechanics work not just parts replacers) who will rebuild a rack and virtually every area has a shop that specializes in rebuilding racks. It is a lot like axles, starters and alternators though anymore. Its is simply cheaper to buy an aftermarket replacement rack made in a country with cheap labor rather than paying decent rates to rebuild one. I had my TVR rack rebuilt locally last year. Cost me $75. Granted it is a manual rack but you get the idea.
One other thing to remember, and I'm not sure if this would apply to you TVR, but there are aftermarket companies who usually make all the necessary seals needed to properly rebuild a rack for most makes and models. As with so many other things, this is not out there for the SVX. Also, the fact that yours is a manual rack will have a big difference on price as there aren't anywhere near the amount of seals. Currently, the only place to get new seals is directly from Subaru. That is why I mentioned that in the future the price could go down if I'm able to find compatible seals and O-rings by comparing the OEM to what else might be out there.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
One other thing to remember, and I'm not sure if this would apply to you TVR, but there are aftermarket companies who usually make all the necessary seals needed to properly rebuild a rack for most makes and models. As with so many other things, this is not out there for the SVX. Also, the fact that yours is a manual rack will have a big difference on price as there aren't anywhere near the amount of seals. Currently, the only place to get new seals is directly from Subaru. That is why I mentioned that in the future the price could go down if I'm able to find compatible seals and O-rings by comparing the OEM to what else might be out there.
Aftermarket and TVRs that's a good one. Most of the shops which do rebuilds do it only for cars which there isn't aftermarket supplies for as they can't compete with the sweat shop rebuilders for the popular cars. You can find 'em in your phone book in most metro areas or if not locally in your classic/antique car mags. As I stated a manual rack would be cheaper. They aren't as complex nor does it need to be pressure checked, etc.

Not taking anything away from your willingness to undertake the task but personally, I'd trust a licensed, bonded rebuilder if the unthinkable happens. Just bringing up that the service is already avalible you just need to do the work.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:50 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Aftermarket and TVRs that's a good one. Most of the shops which do rebuilds do it only for cars which there isn't aftermarket supplies for as they can't compete with the sweat shop rebuilders for the popular cars. You can find 'em in your phone book in most metro areas or if not locally in your classic/antique car mags. As I stated a manual rack would be cheaper. They aren't as complex nor does it need to be pressure checked, etc.

Not taking anything away from your willingness to undertake the task but personally, I'd trust a licensed, bonded rebuilder if the unthinkable happens. Just bringing up that the service is already avalible you just need to do the work.
Yeah, I hear you on that one. I just thought I'd bring it up since a lot of people lately have been unhappy having to dish out quite a bit to get a reman, or going and still paying a decent amount for a used one that could leak just as much as the one they have before too long. I would also install the first couple on my own SVX to ensure proper operation and after that would be able to find a local place that would be able to pressure check everything properly as well.
I definitely wouldn't just be tearing into them, replacing the seals, putting it all back together and then quickly boxing it up and shipping it out.

Plus, I don't want to be dishing out a huge chunk of change to replace the leaky racks currently in all 3 of my SVX
Old 03-25-2010, 04:52 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

I'd love a nice rack.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 03-25-2010, 04:56 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I'd love a nice rack.
You can haz no nice rack.
This is a thread only for feeling a nice rack
Old 03-25-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Yeah, I hear you on that one. I just thought I'd bring it up since a lot of people lately have been unhappy having to dish out quite a bit to get a reman, or going and still paying a decent amount for a used one that could leak just as much as the one they have before too long. I would also install the first couple on my own SVX to ensure proper operation and after that would be able to find a local place that would be able to pressure check everything properly as well.
I definitely wouldn't just be tearing into them, replacing the seals, putting it all back together and then quickly boxing it up and shipping it out.

Plus, I don't want to be dishing out a huge chunk of change to replace the leaky racks currently in all 3 of my SVX
Your missing the point. They don't have to dish out quite a bit to get a reman or get a used one. They already can get theirs rebuilt. They just need to find a local rebuilder whose prices would be very much in line with what your saying your cost would be. Only difference, they are licensed, bonded and insured for their work. Cost of doing business sucks but in a sue happy world it is very much a reality.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:03 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Your missing the point. They don't have to dish out quite a bit to get a reman or get a used one. They already can get theirs rebuilt. They just need to find a local rebuilder whose prices would be very much in line with what your saying your cost would be. Only difference, they are licensed, bonded and insured for their work. Cost of doing business sucks but in a sue happy world it is very much a reality.
I do get the point actually. Someone post up the final price of what it cost them to get one rebuilt at a local shop or at least get a quote. I know locally by me, there aren't any shops who will do this work-or at least that I've found/heard of. The problem is going to be that any local shop is still going to have to go out and buy the seals needed from Subaru so parts cost is going to be the same. The key is going to be that their labor rates are obviously going to be higher than what it is for me to do this...

Edit: Or is a local shop going to find all the right seals for the rack right away from another source?-this isn't sarcasm either, honest question...

Last edited by 1986nate; 03-25-2010 at 05:19 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: