How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2009, 11:28 AM

Dealership gets my car

Well the dealership gets to diagnose my car for wheel bearing replacement. This happens on thursday, I'm terrified, I don't want the car outa my site, is that wrong, or normal? Any advice on dealing with this occasion, drinking heavily, tylenol, or will it be ok. Oh ya they said 350-400 clams. I think I love this car just a little bit, the wife does too so its all good, by for now.........G
94legacywagon"whinny"
84Brat"huey"
92svx"samantha".pearl
92svx"sabastian"4.44 silver
92svx"sabrina".ebony
05legacy gt limited "Moon" blue.
06 Subaru legacy gt limited.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Re: Dealership gets my car

I just had the right rear (pas-side) wheel bearing and hub replacement done by the dealer, a few months ago. I dropped it off wed evening and it was done by saturday afternoon. it must've been really out of whacked before they fixed it because it was causing problems (drifting and weird noises in the front and rear). It runs/ drives soooo much better after that was fixed. It was worth the wait...(for me) and I wish you luck on yours.
Oh, by the way...noise is gone big time...and I remember playing XBOX360 and ps3 to keep my mind off the SVX.

Last edited by knight'sSVX; 07-06-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:56 PM

Which dealer on Long Island did the work?
Old 07-06-2009, 07:22 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

Both my my rear wheel bearings were done by an independent (Same independent that borked the hydraulic pump in the transmission when they did the flexplate, but they allowed me to get my car for $800 so I won't complain too much) and the inner seals are borked on both sides, so they make noise. I've already replaced the passenger side bearing, this month I'm going to do the driver's side, and order the spark plugs and cam cover gaskets, and next month I'm going to replace those, along with the timing belt, cam seals, and crankshaft seal.
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 07-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitsandbytes69 View Post
Which dealer on Long Island did the work?
GrandPrix subaru in Hicksville. I normally just deal with Mike P. At service, He's a nice guy.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:21 PM

i have a rear wheel bearing im selling derict oem from subaru 75 buck with inner and outer seals in bags un opened great deal will ship i have paypal
redsoxx429@yahoo.com to reach me
Old 07-07-2009, 05:43 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

You may want to have them look at your bushings while the hub is off. They will likely be worn. That way you have the extra expense of the bushings but not the extra labour if you did it at another time. Replacing them will quiet things down a lot.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxrider1 View Post
i have a rear wheel bearing im selling derict oem from subaru 75 buck with inner and outer seals in bags un opened great deal will ship i have paypal
redsoxx429@yahoo.com to reach me
Thanks for the offer, but I work at a dealership and my cost is less than that, and I don't have to pay for shipping.
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 07-09-2009, 06:40 PM

Ok the news is left rear bearing is toast, bearing kit 124$ 2.5 hours labor, 386$ total, so I'm driving home from that while coming to stops and turning some clunking occurs up front, so I think yae a new noise. LOoking under there the swaybar rubber bushings are quite toasted from leaking oil/pwrsteering fluids, would this cause the clunking? I could find no other reason for such noises, any suggestions?..........G
94legacywagon"whinny"
84Brat"huey"
92svx"samantha".pearl
92svx"sabrina".ebony
Old 07-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

That could be since it happens while turning.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 07-15-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbianchi View Post
Well the dealership gets to diagnose my car for wheel bearing replacement. This happens on thursday, I'm terrified, I don't want the car outa my site, is that wrong, or normal? Any advice on dealing with this occasion, drinking heavily, tylenol, or will it be ok. Oh ya they said 350-400 clams. I think I love this car just a little bit, the wife does too so its all good, by for now.........G
So today we took it in, so here I sit waiting for the phone to ring, took it in at 1015am, its now 345pm, supposed to be 2.5hr job.............this can't be good, did I mention I HATE having others work on my cars? All is well Gregg remain calm zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz after the 3rd phone call that was NOT the subaru dealer I called them at 415pm, guess what the car won't be done today, OH REALLY yathink! Seems they didn't have the proper tool on hand and will get it tomorrow early, ya sure whatever, oh ya I HATE having others work on my cars! ................OK thats the end of my rant.............G
94legacywagon"whinny"
84Brat"huey"
92svx"samantha".pearl
92svx"sabrina".ebony
Old 07-15-2009, 10:15 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Breathe..... in through the nose, out through the mouth slowly. The worst that could have happened is they accidentally blew up your car with all your stuff in it and they're waiting for the manager to tell you when he comes in tomorrow

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbianchi View Post
So today we took it in, so here I sit waiting for the phone to ring, took it in at 1015am, its now 345pm, supposed to be 2.5hr job.............this can't be good, did I mention I HATE having others work on my cars? All is well Gregg remain calm zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz after the 3rd phone call that was NOT the subaru dealer I called them at 415pm, guess what the car won't be done today, OH REALLY yathink! Seems they didn't have the proper tool on hand and will get it tomorrow early, ya sure whatever, oh ya I HATE having others work on my cars! ................OK thats the end of my rant.............G

sounds about right for a dealer...
Old 07-16-2009, 02:10 AM
The Molinator

Buy a HubTamer..so you can do the bearing/seal replacement without removing the hub.. . yourself! They're about $200+ .. . BUT, you can do in about 2 to 3 hours yourself. I've done both fronts (may not have needed it?), both rears.. . and once the passenger rear was really thrashed! [So, I've used it to replace 5 bearings]. It was so bad...making so much noise/vibration, that the seat belt (passenger rear) would not work! [I sent for a replacement seat belt, but after the rear (pass.) bearing was replaced, the seat belt began to work again! Ha!] {The vibration had caused the security system built into the seat belt (for impact/rollover lockup) to freeze!}

Be sure to buy the seals.. and replace them at the same time! Once I forgot to get them.. . only realizing in the middle of the bearing replacement.. . YIKES! [The old seals will allow too much debri in.. . causing premature failure of the new bearing.]

MEDIUM difficulty on the Richter ScAlE. [Easier than changing the plugs! Ha!.. . I still haven't installed the rear 2 passenger side plugs (how do you get those?)]

Have Fun! Thanks, Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 07-16-2009, 09:56 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Scott View Post
[Easier than changing the plugs! Ha!.. . I still haven't installed the rear 2 passenger side plugs (how do you get those?)]
Jim, the passenger side coils and plugs are the easiest to remove, just take out the aircleaner box and bracket below it, takes 3 minutes. Having a 3/8 swivel helps too.

Greg, let us know how bad they mokkbarred your car, they've had it long enough to do some serious damage

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.