How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-01-2009, 06:21 PM
The Molinator

Oh Great! New NoIsE!

Well.. Guys: While waiting to smog my car for the third time (Yikes!), I now notice a NEW NOISE! When accelerating from a stop.. turning right or left, but more so to the right.. I hear this garbling sound.. . and sometimes it sounds/feels like the car is shaking!

Could this be an axle? I just replaced the driver side front in January 2009! .. . With another (4th?) free reman on lifetime guarantee (Pep Boys)! [Someone here told me in January that I could put in another reman.. or buy an OEM part, but I'd have to replace the reman every 6 months to a year! THAT HAS BEEN THE CASE UP TIL NOW..and MAYBE EVEN NOW! Does it mean anything that it makes the noise more readily turning right? My Bro-in-law has told me there's a big difference in the reman's versus the OEM's also, but the cost ($300-400) has kept me away. What are your thoughts here?

Tell me it has nothing to do with the diff/trans I swapped.. . a used one from Tom K. for my broken diff [ONE TOOTH SHY].. last year in May? The AT seems to work well.. . so, I hope it's not any of that!

The noise is kind of a grumbling sound (like ball bearings crunching, but still working some?).. . It doesn't make the noise while driving straight forward (or back).. . I guess it must be the half-axle or axles?? I must really like this car! It's getting close to the death march.. . I guess I might be keeping my SVX on life support, not knowing when to pull the plug!?

Thanks for your input.. . Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 07-01-2009, 06:26 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Re: Oh Great! New NoIsE!

We use aftermarket ones without any trouble. Ive had them in several of my cars without any issues.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:11 PM
The Molinator

So...Ya think your aftermarkets (NEW ONES...Right?) are better than the reman's I've been trading every year? And, alot cheaper than the OEM's..right?

Does it sound like an axle? Which one? Is there a way to test which one?

Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 07-01-2009, 10:07 PM

I personally have never had good luck with reman axles. When they go bad most start making a clicking noise when turning.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:21 PM

Registered SVX

sounds more like the bearings in the wheel hub are wearing out
Old 07-02-2009, 05:20 AM

Been driving Subarus since 1986 and have yet to buy a Subaru half-shaft. The fronts on my teal SVX were replaced years ago with NAPA over-the-counter goods; no trouble.

dcb
Old 07-02-2009, 07:37 PM
The Molinator

Please don't tell me that this garbling sound when accelerating and turning is my front bearings! I've done the rears twice, the fronts once ("preventative"), and I own a Hub Tamer.. . BUT, I hate doing that procedure! In fact, I really HATE IT! [Haven't I done enough.. . ha!]
Pleeeeez....noooooooo! Jim

P.S. I delayed doing a right rear bearing a few years ago.. . and it ended up vibrating my suspension there so much, that it damaged my Koni strut insert - I bot a seat belt assembly for the right rear seat because the mechanism wouldn't latch right, or unlatch! {It ended up being bcuz of the bearing vibration jamming the safety mechanism!.. Yikes! Worked fine after I fixed the bearing (returned the seat belt assy!}. Then, I did the job without new seals, cuz I forgot to order them for the job! You can see I'm dangerous.

Sorry.. . I'm rambling.. .

Just tell me it's a half axle, which side.. . so, I can just fix it easily and cheaply now.. . THANKS!

Jim
Old 07-06-2009, 06:07 PM
The Molinator

Mike: Is this a NEW manufactured axle.. . as oppossed to a reman.. . ?
Gimme one.
I'll PM you, so you can send soon.. . Thanks, Jim
Old 07-30-2009, 06:38 PM
The Molinator

Well...I replaced the right front axle with an aftermarket new axle from Mike.. . Noise is still there! Yikes! [I'm sure their new axle is working fine, so...] I'm about to replace the left side axle (which was replaced in Jan 2009 with a reman axle) with another reman axle (free) to see if it was that one???

I'm leary that it's something more bizarre, like the front differential (bearings? gears?) like when my ring gear popped a tooth May 2008 ("new" AT from 1992 SVX).. . Hit me now..before I get CrAzY !

I did look in my parts box.. with new parts, just waiting to be used.. . I did see a front bearing (thought it was a rear!), which means I installed only one front bearing (don't know which side..Ha!) years ago. I remember the front HubTamer install being alot harder than the rears, so I must have left the other one alone, since the front bearing replacement was not based on failure or bearing noise, but just thought I'd replace them.. . thinking they must be worn if the rears were! SOOOoooo.. . I hope it's not the bearing! I don't hear any obvious bearing noise when driving staight, and the noise I'm hearing on acceleration from a stop.. while turning.. is substantial.

I'll let you know if the driver-side axle was it ? ? ?

Any further advice welcome, of course.. . Jim