How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-19-2009, 03:33 PM

Registered SVX
Autostart transfer

I am looking into a 1992 svx that has autostart installed. I would like to transfer that autostart to my 1996 L. Will I have problems because the L models don't have security systems? All I care about is the care remotely starting. The keyless entry would be nice as well, but I don't need anything security related.

So I guess my questions are:

Is the swap possible?
If so, how difficult would it be?

Any and all help would be much appreciated, I don't know much on this subject.
Thank you
Old 06-19-2009, 06:27 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Autostart transfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXalter View Post
I am looking into a 1992 svx that has autostart installed. I would like to transfer that autostart to my 1996 L. Will I have problems because the L models don't have security systems? All I care about is the care remotely starting. The keyless entry would be nice as well, but I don't need anything security related.

So I guess my questions are:

Is the swap possible?
If so, how difficult would it be?

Any and all help would be much appreciated, I don't know much on this subject.
Thank you
The install is pretty straightforward..... it should be fine going into a car without a security system, easier actually. As long as you know where to tap into the appropriate leads for the ignition switch and starter signal etc etc, it will pretty much be installing exactly how you un-installed the old one.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:40 PM

Registered SVX
Autostart transfer

I've heard some horror stories about removing autostart from cars and it being really difficult to get the donor car started up again... How much can this be screwed up? I was quoted $200 by Subaru for just the transfer from one car to another. A new system would be $450 (The system is astrostart). I'm guessing it's pretty possible I could find someone who knows what they are doing when it comes to stuff like this and save quite a bit of money... Does that sound reasonable. If anyone on here is capable and in MN, please let me know, I just spent $700 on the car and am trying to hold back the spending a bit.

Thank you for any and all advice on the subject.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:36 PM

Registered SVX

Thought I would take one more shot at this before winter hits me up here in MinnesotA. - Can anyone help with this situation. I really just need some pointers...

Where to start, Where to dig into the wires, What I would need, etc.

Is it worth it to attempt? I have been told it can be made very simple, however would require digging into the door as well.

Any last words of advice... or should I shell out the $450 for a new system.

Link to related post/question:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...325#post615325

Sorry, I am a complete idiot when it comes to electrical stuff and would prefer to have my car work afterward if I attempt this.

Thank you for any and all help!
Old 08-31-2009, 11:44 PM
just trying to fix it!

Registered SVX

it's not too bad, really. if you remove the lower knee trim under the dash you can see most of the wires, just be ready to spend some time on your back in a gravity chair position. so there is a harness that has 4 wires in it that runs down the column on the right side from the key tumbler. there are the main wires you need. 12V+, acc, Ignition, Start. there you go.
take you corespoding wires from your start box and attach there. DO NOT CUT the stock harness. you need to strip the wire about 3/4" in the center then open it up, slide your start box wire through it wrap around use zip ties then some e-tape or if you really wanted to spend time. you can un-pin them from the harness and then use shrink wrap. T-locks, Scotch Locks or Wire taps are NO GOOD. they will not hold well and pass enough current to work correctly. need some more info i can take pics tommr for you of the harness location.

hope this helps.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:02 PM

Registered SVX

Thank you very much! Yes any more information and or pictures would be very much appreciated! Thanks again.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:06 PM

Registered SVX

Update!

I'm off to a way better start than I thought I would be.
In the previous car the lock/unlock wires were going all the way to somewhere behind the glove box... Does anyone have any idea why they would be going there?

Since my car is a new model and has the lock/unlock switch right near the gear selector I thought it would probably be easy to just tap in there.

Okay. Did some more research and in the service manual for 92s at least the power lock timer is behind the glove box. (way up in there)

Wouldn't it still be possible to tap into the switch by shifter on later models?

Last edited by SVXalter; 09-07-2009 at 09:58 PM.