How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2009, 01:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to redlinedeath Send a message via Yahoo to redlinedeath
i dont know why they pissed me off so much, help!

alright, so i just got a job at advance auto parts in my hometown of kenosha wisconsin. i thought it was kind of funny that everyone there is heavily into the import scene(kind of, as i found out) well, svx still isnt up, but i was telling one of the guys, who has a mildly built bug-eye celica, turbo, blah blah blah, who i suspect runs maybe mid-low 14 judging from his car, about what the svx is, and he asks what motors in it, thinking its turbod, and i explain, no, its a 3.3 flat six, makes about 230ish at the motor, fun car, awd, but incredibly heavy. he starts laughing, stops then looks at me with the strongest "im so much better than you" look, and says, "wow... you make me laugh". i ask why, and hes like, you say you like cars, but if i had that car, id have been pushing 1200 hp already(yes, you read that right) i know thats obviously not possible at this point, i try explaining, and go into the design and all that behind exhaust, matching turbos, air flow, and all of the technical aspect from what i remember off hand, and he keeps spitting random bulls**t out, so i get really annoyed.

heres the thing, normally, i chuckle to myself at comments like this, and hope theyll eventually understand cars. i even told them, anyone can make a powerful car, but it takes skill to get a good power curve, reliability and all that, he didnt say anything. and his friend/my co-worker/soon to be manager who drives a mildy built for turbo integra with a b18b who hasnt turboed his car yet, but swears its "not slow" also seems to be laughing that i think that you cant just weld new tubees for head tubes on an exh. manifold for "good" power.

for some reason, i am incredibly annoyed, and just wanna tear down their little worlds. they both street race on the regular, and ive adopted the name "fast" and "furious" for them when theyre together. what do you guys think, should i leave it alone, or show them their own stupidity and make them see they do not belong around cars, especially trying to help others with theirs. any comments? questions? poetry?
Old 03-16-2009, 02:02 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: i dont know why they pissed me off so much, help!

Its the same type of crap up here in Sheboygan, a bunch of azns and white people who rice out EVERYTHING. A few of them actually have some decent stuff but most have junk. A few years ago when I had my 85 Buick Lesabre(5000 lb car with no gas or people) I took a turboed Honda Accord sedan going uphill and was able to stick with them(and by stick with, I mean my windshield was even with the front of his car) the whole way up to 85 mph til the azn backed out.

I would just say leave it alone. Most people here in Wisconsin are not only idiots but they are ignorant as well. I overhear people talking so much BS all the time that I just laugh to myself and don't really care because I know that they don't know what the hel they are talking about.

Last edited by 1986nate; 03-16-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to redlinedeath Send a message via Yahoo to redlinedeath

ah, sheboygan, kenoshas so boering, sometimes, wed go there to kill time! im so fed up with fast and furious there, that i want to shut them up, but one of them will soon be my manager. though i already know ive made enemies with mr. turbo celica, the other guy with the integras not half bad. theres also a guy who started the day after me with a stock except for springs 240sx, but hes a cool guy, fun to talk to. i think he keeps me sane. to top it off, mr celicas little friends seem to come in to the store often. its annoying!

mr. celica asked "well, of course you want alot of power! what do you do if you need to stomp on it on the interstate?" all i could think in my mind was "pass you on the inside on the off ramp, after outbreaking you". other thing is, i dont really like to sound like im for street racing, so i didnt say anything.

anyhow, do you know if we have alot of active members in our area?
Old 03-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinedeath View Post
alright, so i just got a job at advance auto parts in my hometown of kenosha wisconsin. i thought it was kind of funny that everyone there is heavily into the import scene(kind of, as i found out) well, svx still isnt up, but i was telling one of the guys, who has a mildly built bug-eye celica, turbo, blah blah blah, who i suspect runs maybe mid-low 14 judging from his car, about what the svx is, and he asks what motors in it, thinking its turbod, and i explain, no, its a 3.3 flat six, makes about 230ish at the motor, fun car, awd, but incredibly heavy. he starts laughing, stops then looks at me with the strongest "im so much better than you" look, and says, "wow... you make me laugh". i ask why, and hes like, you say you like cars, but if i had that car, id have been pushing 1200 hp already(yes, you read that right) i know thats obviously not possible at this point, i try explaining, and go into the design and all that behind exhaust, matching turbos, air flow, and all of the technical aspect from what i remember off hand, and he keeps spitting random bulls**t out, so i get really annoyed.

heres the thing, normally, i chuckle to myself at comments like this, and hope theyll eventually understand cars. i even told them, anyone can make a powerful car, but it takes skill to get a good power curve, reliability and all that, he didnt say anything. and his friend/my co-worker/soon to be manager who drives a mildy built for turbo integra with a b18b who hasnt turboed his car yet, but swears its "not slow" also seems to be laughing that i think that you cant just weld new tubees for head tubes on an exh. manifold for "good" power.

for some reason, i am incredibly annoyed, and just wanna tear down their little worlds. they both street race on the regular, and ive adopted the name "fast" and "furious" for them when theyre together. what do you guys think, should i leave it alone, or show them their own stupidity and make them see they do not belong around cars, especially trying to help others with theirs. any comments? questions? poetry?
You think its bad there... I should start taking pictures of all the rice cars I see in a day. How many hondas/acura (ZE INTERGA"S) I see with a huge spoiler and more stickers that I can count. I hate them just about as much as I hate the cars that run around with 22"s colored as a hotel/candy bar.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 03-16-2009, 03:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to SVXyGirl
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinedeath View Post
alright, so i just got a job at advance auto parts...
First problem. Everyone at Advanced Auto parts (around here) is a major ricer and/or a complete idiot who has to get all of their car knowlege from a pop-up book or through the computer.

Quote:
if i had that car, id have been pushing 1200 hp already(yes, you read that right)
Japanese writing or "POS Performance" or a giant exhaust doesn't mean your car has 1200hp. If he actually knew more than what the Fast and Furious movies taught him, he would realize he's completely retarded.

Sorry...I got run off of the road today by this same exact person. I'm just venting.
92 Claret SVX LS-L (180k) 09/91 #5,732
06 Suzuki Boulevard M50 7k
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (70k) Storage/hibernation for now.

Past SVXs:
94 SVX Emerald Pearl FWD (Sold)
96 SVX Bourdeaux LSi (Sold)
92 Pearl SVX LSL "Stay Puft" 5MT (140k) #148 (RIP)
95 Brilliant Red SVX LS (162k) 12/94 #564 "Killer Tomato" (RIP)

Old 03-16-2009, 03:05 PM

I would leave it along... You can't think of a reason that it, or they, are even important to you. The whole thing with "them" is a "different world" than the one we live in!
Not worth your time or effort.
My 2 cents.

Keith
Old 03-16-2009, 05:06 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

A guy driving a celica. Bhah-ha HAHAHAHA!!!

That's like a guy driving a VW Cabrio!
Old 03-16-2009, 05:15 PM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX

+1 to benebob's comment!

Crazy wisconsians and their rice. Sounds a lot like a group of guys I ran into in West Creek, NJ
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 03-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
A guy driving a celica. Bhah-ha HAHAHAHA!!!

That's like a guy driving a VW Cabrio!
+2
Next time just tell him your old girlfriend drove a celica. Those are total chick cars. Almost as bad as a beretta.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Ask him to tell you exactly how (and I mean really exact, specifically which components should be used, etc) he would get 1200 HP out of an EG33. When he says boost the hell out of it, ask which turbo should be used, and the trim and A/R for it and the specific boost pressure and flow you'd need, then tell him the stock bottom end can't take it. Ask him what compression you should drop the pistons to, and who would be the best company to buy pistons from. Ask him what cam profile you should use, and if the hydraulic lash adjusters would be suitable. Ask him what engine management system would be best, since the factory MAF maxes at about 250 HP. Ask him what length of primary runners on a set of equal length headers would maximize torque. Other things, flow rating of injectors, size of throttle body, fuel pump specs...

And so on...That's my general way of dealing with idiotic ricers. When he starts looking confused, just fire the questions at him faster.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 03-16-2009, 09:02 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXyGirl View Post
First problem. Everyone at Advanced Auto parts (around here) is a major ricer and/or a complete idiot who has to get all of their car knowlege from a pop-up book or through the computer.

Sorry...I got run off of the road today by this same exact person. I'm just venting.
Ha, ya know whats funny, someone I know got denied a job there because he "didn't have enough knowledge" so a few days later he asked them to look up a radiator for an '83 Corvette
Old 03-16-2009, 09:06 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Ask him to tell you exactly how (and I mean really exact, specifically which components should be used, etc) he would get 1200 HP out of an EG33. When he says boost the hell out of it, ask which turbo should be used, and the trim and A/R for it and the specific boost pressure and flow you'd need, then tell him the stock bottom end can't take it. Ask him what compression you should drop the pistons to, and who would be the best company to buy pistons from. Ask him what cam profile you should use, and if the hydraulic lash adjusters would be suitable. Ask him what engine management system would be best, since the factory MAF maxes at about 250 HP. Ask him what length of primary runners on a set of equal length headers would maximize torque. Other things, flow rating of injectors, size of throttle body, fuel pump specs...

And so on...That's my general way of dealing with idiotic ricers. When he starts looking confused, just fire the questions at him faster.
Have to agree with this and everyone else has said. Everyone watches the Fast and Furious movies and thinks they can make 1000+hp out of any motor. To actually do that, it takes minimum $50k to get almost any 4 or even 6 cylinder to get close. a v8 is a little more achievable but even then your talking about a motor that is unsuitable for everyday/street driving.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:21 PM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX

You must realize, that kids celica has everything bolted on, either by himself or someone else. Tell him there are virtually no aftermarket performance parts. He would have to make everything himself, or have it made. Tell him the price of the aftermarket pistons and rods. Tell him the cost of a supercharger to even begin to get to 250-280hp, let alone another 1000hp on top of that. Ask him how many years of his piddley salary it would take to get the existing stuff we know about out there on the SVX, assuming he has $0 in other expenses. Sure he works at autozone, but can he pull and break down an engine? Oh, where's he gonna get a trans that will handle that power? the 6speed maxes at what, like 400whp, before it becomes unreliable? Custom driveshaft can be done, sure, but what about the axels? Or the front/rear diffs? Assuming he achieved some merical and hit 1200hp at the crank. Or even half of that. That sort of power will eat everything from the crankshaft back. Bye bye transmission. Bye bye driveshaft. Bye bye differentials, bye bye axels. Period. You know, it's obvious he was talking out of his ass. Tell him when he shows up with an svx with half that power, you'll have some respect. Or even 1/4 that power, 300whp, that's a lot of nickels and dimes to make that in an SVX.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 03-16-2009, 09:32 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post

After he gives you that list, I'd like to see it as well.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 03-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX

Meh, just ignore any and all car babble going on there. when auto cross season rolls around, invite them out. when they can't make it around a cone course you'll get the respect you don't even care to have.
Win
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten