Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-12-2008, 05:37 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffast View Post
i didn't think to check the battery voltage at that point, so i am unable to answer that. i was checking it this morning, and it was going no higher then 11 volts and ioo thought that was odd, so i checked the alt voltage and it was also at 11.5 volts. so i cannot answer that.

edit: the only thing that comes to mind was that maybe i screwed up with the meter on my first time through trouble shooting.
Over to you to carry on as suggested and to test and confirm coil voltages.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 03-13-2008, 01:18 PM
I kill more trannies then god

well it looks like tom nailed it, the timing belt appears to be off i am out of time to continue pulling the covers today. the left cover is off and the hash mark is pointing straight up, the right bank it's pointing about thirty degrees tword the center of the motor. but this was looking with a mirror with the cover onyl partially off, so i couldn't get a clear view. but that was what it looked like to me more tommow when i pull the fans and timing cover.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:25 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
well it looks like tom nailed it, the timing belt appears to be off i am out of time to continue pulling the covers today. the left cover is off and the hash mark is pointing straight up, the right bank it's pointing about thirty degrees tword the center of the motor. but this was looking with a mirror with the cover onyl partially off, so i couldn't get a clear view. but that was what it looked like to me more tommow when i pull the fans and timing cover.
Your post 24 stated --- when i changed the alt the car ran perfect for the first 2-3 minutes i drove it then it started missing on and off again, i'm really stumped.

Your post 26 stated --- you mean the belt it's self? thinking it might have skipped a few teeth? no i havent, but if the belt skipped wouldn't it run like crap full time? its the first 5 minutes after you reset the ecu where it runns and pulls like normal, that confuses me if thats the case.

If the above statements are correct, how can a jumped timing belt problem now be intermittent?

When you refer to resetting the ECU, it is presumed you mean codes and the diagnostic system.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 03-13-2008 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Post 24
Old 03-13-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Your post 24 stated --- when i changed the alt the car ran perfect for the first 2-3 minutes i drove it then it started missing on and off again, i'm really stumped.

Your post 26 stated --- you mean the belt it's self? thinking it might have skipped a few teeth? no i havent, but if the belt skipped wouldn't it run like crap full time? its the first 5 minutes after you reset the ecu where it runns and pulls like normal, that confuses me if thats the case.

If the above statements are correct, how can a jumped timing belt problem now be intermittent?

When you refer to resetting the ECU, it is presumed you mean codes and the diagnostic system.
i am also confused, but i am reporting the problem to the very best of my ability.
and when i said reseting the ecu i meant when i removed the battery cable to change the alternator
Old 03-13-2008, 09:26 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
i am also confused, but i am reporting the problem to the very best of my ability.
and when i said reseting the ecu i meant when i removed the battery cable to change the alternator
In an effort to keep all the significant reported facts in sight:-

Your post No 1 stated ---- all three cylenders on the right side are not fireing i can unplug the coils and it makes no differance. the codes come up as misfire cylenders1,3,5,

My post 16 --- Before you start jumping to conclusions and messing up your loom. Why not check for battery volts at coil plugs 1,3 & 5, using a preferably a test light or meter?

Tom, post 23 --- so do you have 12v to all coils???

My post 31 advised ---- Over to you to carry on as suggested and to test and confirm coil voltages.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:36 PM

ok, thank you for your advise i'm gonna finish pulling the timing covers first, because the cams appear mis-aligned.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:03 PM

well, the left cam was pointing straight up, and the right cam was pointing straight to the right, tomorrow i'm changing the belt i will report my findings as to the condition of the idlers. or if it is any thing obviouse that caused the problem
Old 03-14-2008, 11:22 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
well, the left cam was pointing straight up, and the right cam was pointing straight to the right, tomorrow i'm changing the belt i will report my findings as to the condition of the idlers. or if it is any thing obviouse that caused the problem
Before you come to conclusions, read the how too on cam belt replacement and be sure you understand the exact relevance of the markings in relation to crankshaft position. N.B. The markings illustrated apply only to the crankshaft at the top dead centre position.

I very much doubt that the timing is out on the basis of logic, as you have several times stated that the problem is intermittent. This would require the belt to slip and then regain a perfect setting after a period of time. So near an impossibility as to be absolutely ruled out of the equation.

Last edited by Trevor; 03-14-2008 at 11:52 PM. Reason: NB added
Old 03-14-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Before you come to conclusions, read the how too on cam belt replacement and be sure you understand the exact relevance of the markings in relation to crankshaft position. N.B. The markings illustrated apply only to the crankshaft at the top dead centre position.

I very much doubt that the timing is out on the basis of logic, as you have several times stated that the problem is intermittent. This would require the belt to slip and then regain a perfect setting after a period of time. So near an impossibility as to be absolutely ruled out of the equation.
trevor, i have done 7 timing belts on various soob's, i can tell you that the hash marks on the cam pullies should point the same way, straight left,straight down, if they aren't pointing the same way the belt skipped. these two are way out of sinc, it is definitely a problem even if it isn't the one i am hunting for.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:06 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
trevor, i have done 7 timing belts on various soob's, i can tell you that the hash marks on the cam pullies should point the same way, straight left,straight down, if they aren't pointing the same way the belt skipped. these two are way out of sinc, it is definitely a problem even if it isn't the one i am hunting for.
You have disclosed nothing of your age or name but have mentioned your father. I am not an excellent reader of text, but mind reading is entirely another skill. You now claim considerable experience. Go to it.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:49 AM
Locker Link Solution

here is what happened the only time I have messed up timing... thought I killed it.

i remember jeff being a bit younger than me when I met him, but that was a few years ago... o wait he'd still be younger than me

...yeah, you know I've done a bunch of t belts on subies too but I still mistakenly used the neutral arrow when I blindly looked at the service computer which clearly points to the face of the sprocket and not the hash mark on the crank's tone... so TDC for cyl #1 = all cyls aligned ...
Slapped the crank pulley on...
Started it, sounded GREAT!!!
Revved it kind of high, still awesome!
So I shut it off reassembled everything topped oil, rad with coolant and extra in the overflow (impatient)

first hill I came to the car turned into a stuborn dog, downshift, downshift, and okay, there we go.

I had to use whatever gear would keep me between 2100 and 2200 rpm with VERY little throttle to get it back.

47-51 degree ignition advance! I'm pretty impressed with the ECU after that.
Too lazy to fix it that night, I pulled the svx out of the shed and drove it home instead. Next day, car starts up great again you can't tell there is anything wrong with it. Drove great right around the corner, revving and everything... things seam to run amuck only when the engine gets hot.
Timing fixed, car was perfect again.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?

Last edited by Speedklix; 03-15-2008 at 07:53 AM. Reason: fixedited da spellzing
Old 03-15-2008, 07:59 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Jeff, the hash marks are meant to line up with the corresponding hash marks on the rear timing covers... They are out on angles to each side so if one is straight up in the air, the other should be laying flat... Line them up with the hashes on the timing covers and go from there

Tom
Old 03-15-2008, 08:06 AM
Locker Link Solution

...exactly, don't assume, and don't always use the "generic" instructions
...check out the how-to! the knowledge on this site is your best reference for eg33 tech
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?

Last edited by Speedklix; 03-15-2008 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:03 PM

fixed, aligned the timing belt, and she's running like a champ.
i still find it odd, that it would run fine for the first minute or two , then run like crap, that confuse any one else?
Old 03-15-2008, 07:44 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
fixed, aligned the timing belt, and she's running like a champ.
i still find it odd, that it would run fine for the first minute or two , then run like crap, that confuse any one else?
I have been up and down the garden path and am not only confused, but amazed and in fact find it incredible, particularly when the original reports stated:-

“my sisters car randomly developed a giant missfire, all three cylenders on the right side are not fireing i can unplug the coils and it makes no differance. the codes come up as misfire cylenders1,3,5,”

“6 volts trevor, i checked them yesterday before i posted this,”

“when i changed the alt the car ran perfect for the first 2-3 minutes i drove it then it started missing on and off again”

“its the first 5 minutes after you reset the ecu where it runns and pulls like normal,”

Which confirms that the engine was OK for up to 5 minutes and when under load.

Stumped is the word and the gods are not playing fair cricket.