IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 12:58 AM

See there Trevor,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffast View Post
wait wait wait,
it routes the starter through the neutrial safty switch.
that suddenlt makes sense i may or may not have used to small a gauge of wire when wiring up my 5spd swap that could make sense.
Jeffast is understanding we!
The wire from the switch on the transmission goes directly to the starter.
the circuit wire should probably be 14 gage?
Best you keep track of that Bosch relay you picked up, Jeff. You are still going to need it!!

The reason: All the smart people are concerned with the wire in their starter circuit all the way from the ignition switch to the starter, right. Here is the problem. The battery power comes directly to the ignition switch. My voltmeter shows about 8 volts at the ignition switch at the wire that is the starter circuit.
The power lead from the battery to the switch shows 12 or a little more. Of course the car starts some of the time. With the volt meter checking the start wire, if the car starts the voltage is 12 ish. Of course it is! otherwise the starter would not run. Because the ignition switch gets the full 12 volts from the battery and only shows 8 volts out of the switch to send to the starter, with the starter wire connected, the wires from the ignition switch to the starter are not a involved in the equation... without the wire to the starter connected, turn the key to start and always get the same voltage as the battery. hook it back up and if it doesn.t start, the voltage has droped to about 8 volts.
I have a good idea what the problem is, but it is not the ignition switch and it is not the wiring.
Take care
Keith

Last edited by kwren; 11-17-2007 at 01:47 AM.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:16 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
I spent weeks checking the circuit with my voltmeter and couldn't find why the voltage dropped when the ignition switch was turned to start. I even jumped the wires to the start circuit right under the dash, bypassing the ignition switch totally and the voltage still dropped to about 8 volts.
Keith
If you had used the correct method when using your meter to detect voltage drop, you could had some success.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 11-17-2007, 04:33 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Trevor, It is my nature to help others and I hope you don't take this in the wrong way but you misspelled a couple of words. in the sentence with
"a point not in your favour, I believe it is spelled favor. In the sentence right above, your last sentence, it part that says "and I abhor sarcasm".
should read "and I adore sarcasm".

Take care and thanks for the input!
Keith
Keith,

I suggest you get hold of an Oxford Dictionary which covers English as the English write it. I abhor favoring favours, tired tyres, colored colours.

You obviously are a fan for a “realay” and a “circuitt”, niether Funk nor Wagnall would approve.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 11-17-2007, 05:16 AM

Registered SVX
[QUOTE=kwren;509246]Quote:
Keith, did you try changing out your ignition switch?

A thoughtful and very interesting question, notably ignored.________________
Trevor, New Zealand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post

....Can't you get something right just once Trevor, and make my day??

I did fall into the trap and bought a new ignition switch and installed it is on my SVX. I checked it first and when I got reduced voltage in the circuit from the old switch (about 8 volts,) I thought the contacts were bad. I sent Jeffast a private message explaining that I changed the switch and it didn't fix the problem...
I farther explained the relay that I designed that works along with all the other things that work right. I made the schematic and put it on as an attachment as I told him I would in the "private" message.
Since you get offended if I keep information from you, Trevor, I better tell you about the new rear view mirror with a compass and automatic dimming from the headlights driving behind me. I wired it up and it looks and works great. I should not explain how I did it for fear of ridicule from you.
You would probably regard it as a band-aid since it didn't come on the car from the factory and I get my feelings hurt real easy.
Come to think of it, the majority of new Subaru's from the factory do not come equipped with the great rear view mirrors. Many people buy one and have the dealer put it on.
Question: Is it a band-aid if the dealer installs it or would the band-aid only be if you or I install it?? I can always take it off and put the original back on.

Please help me with the correct answer. To my credit, It is a new Subaru mirror from the factory!
Thanks,
Keith
Keith,

Can’t you write just once Keith, without continual sarcasm and make my day. Furthermore your use of bold type is not in good taste.

I got it exactly right. You had not answered the question.

I note that you have the skills to hook up a rear view mirror, but you also have clearly shown that you do not have a clue in regard to testing a circuit for voltage drop.

Your silly question requires a silly answer, i.e. it is only a band-aid for those who do not have the strength or wit to dip a normal manually operated mirror.

Take more care, Trevor.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:20 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
wait wait wait,
it routes the starter through the neutrial safty switch.
that suddenlt makes sense i may or may not have used to small a gauge of wire when wiring up my 5spd swap that could make sense.
Yeah, that was my problem when we put the five speed in the racer, I used speaker wire to run from the clutch switch to the old tranny wiring harness. When I replaced it with thicker wire, she started right up
Old 11-17-2007, 11:01 AM
I kill more trannies then god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
Yeah, that was my problem when we put the five speed in the racer, I used speaker wire to run from the clutch switch to the old tranny wiring harness. When I replaced it with thicker wire, she started right up
well looks like i know what i'm doing tommorow. wait big meet tommorow, uh lets say monday maybe.

also does the racer move again yet or are you two still retired?
Old 11-17-2007, 11:06 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
well looks like i know what i'm doing tommorow. wait big meet tommorow, uh lets say monday maybe.

also does the racer move again yet or are you two still retired?
It moves just fine. You just can't shift to every gear without some grinding and above 5k it'll slip like crazy. So bad that it would only pull a There isn't a driver seat in it though so even backing it off the trailer is a little dicy.It'll still put a better 1/4 up then 99.9% of the SVXi in the world the way she is.

Oh yeah and Hocrest failed to mention that he used speaker wire for the connection!
Old 11-17-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
I used speaker wire to run from the clutch switch to the old tranny wiring harness.
hey ben you might want to take comprehending english over again
Old 11-17-2007, 11:30 AM

[QUOTE=Trevor;509256]
Quote:
Quote:
Keith, did you try changing out your ignition switch?

A thoughtful and very interesting question, notably ignored.________________
Trevor, New Zealand.

Keith,

Can’t you write just once Keith, without continual sarcasm and make my day. Furthermore your use of bold type is not in good taste.

I got it exactly right. You had not answered the question.

I note that you have the skills to hook up a rear view mirror, but you also have clearly shown that you do not have a clue in regard to testing a circuit for voltage drop.

Your silly question requires a silly answer, i.e. it is only a band-aid for those who do not have the strength or wit to dip a normal manually operated mirror.

Take more care, Trevor.
Trevor, you are obviously blessed with the gift of gab... gab, A word from the Texas dictionary. Your blessing has turned out to be a curse for just about all the rest of us. I have yet to find anything that has been brought up on this site that you have made any meaningful contribution to.

This situation has been a challenge for me because I analyze people and try discover what makes them "tick". Tick... another Texas Dictionary word. I do that because I love people and I consciously pull for them to succeed.

Correct me if I am wrong, ( need I ask), but in your case I see two major problems.
You are not able to remember things, and perhaps more importantly, you simply do not understand what the words are saying.

Suggestion: Maybe you should throw away your "Oxford dictionary" where you find your "impressive" words, and begin working on understanding the meaning of the little words in the posts on this site to start with, and later progressing to the five letter words, etc.

If you need an example, here one is...

Trevor you say "I got it exactly right. You had not answered the question."

I told you I replied in a private message. I did not realize how desperate you were to try to grasp an understanding of the the situation.

Would another apology fix this impasse?

I will give it a try... sorry, sorry, sorry.

Hope this helps...
as always,
Keith

Last edited by kwren; 11-17-2007 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:46 AM

heyJeffast,

Quote:
hey ben you might want to take comprehending english over again
wire is wire!
Old 11-17-2007, 04:11 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
Quote:
wire is wire!
Yeppers, it is. Right up to the point that the insulation ends up in a smoking puddle in your carpet!
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:46 PM

I agree, crazyhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
Yeppers, it is. Right up to the point that the insulation ends up in a smoking puddle in your carpet!
some wire is wire and some wire was wire.

Crazyanimal, I used your name in vain in a thread today. Some one had an up and down idle speed and I answered with the advice that you were kind enough to leave for me when I asked.
Thanks... again
Keith
Old 11-17-2007, 07:23 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I suggest using a 14awg wire for each of the 2 neutral safety wires. I have found that switching 20awg to 14awg my starter issues went away. SO every 5mt I have done, I have offered or suggested replacing the wires with a heavier gauge. I am sure this is your issue

Tom
Old 11-17-2007, 09:01 PM

this might not be my problem then i used 12 gauge
Old 11-17-2007, 09:03 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
might be too big. 14-16 is what I use. Where did u get 12 gauge wire from and are you using the clip for the connection or are you using female end connectors??

Tom
Closed Thread