How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 03:18 PM

Cool Central locking switch in gear shift area

I am wondering how easy it would be to wire in a central locking switch like I have seen on some model SVXs - would it just be a simple case of finding out where the existing wiring goes to that comes off the drivers side door lock mechanism?

regards

Steve in New Zealand
Old 02-21-2007, 04:27 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SURTEESS
I am wondering how easy it would be to wire in a central locking switch like I have seen on some model SVXs - would it just be a simple case of finding out where the existing wiring goes to that comes off the drivers side door lock mechanism?

regards

Steve in New Zealand
Steve, I am also interested in this topic.

Several times I have thought about it but have never got round to further investigation. If the required circuit can be picked up outside of the doors, e.g. in the loom between doors, it could be not to difficult to make the mod.

I would presume the switch is in the form of a self restoring push on type, i.e. not a switch remaining in the moved position.

Steve, I just looked at the manuals I have to check the wiring diagram, which however does not include the switch. I found that some time ago I had pencilled in a proposed addition, which involves inserting a push button switch and a blocking diode, in the line between the two doors. My proposal should work, but as remembered, I never have got round to trying it.

Let us hope that someone will have the OEM wiring which could throw more light on the issue.

Cheers, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Phil and I [b3lha] discussed this a long time ago.

The type of switch you mention Trevor is the correct type. 94 or 95 cars got this push to shut off central locking switch. It was only ever necessary on the JDM types, which locked up at about 15 km/hr.

Do the Nz and Au cars lock automatically too?

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-21-2007, 05:56 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist
Phil and I [b3lha] discussed this a long time ago.

The type of switch you mention Trevor is the correct type. 94 or 95 cars got this push to shut off central locking switch. It was only ever necessary on the JDM types, which locked up at about 15 km/hr.

Do the Nz and Au cars lock automatically too?

Joe
Joe, my car is a JDM and locks when moving. This is not the real problem as i see it. If the passenger wishes to exit the car, the driver is unable to conveniently unlock the door for them. There also appears to be a problem if both driver and passenger try to unlock doors simultaneously and the interlocking then becomes confused.

To be honest I have not been bothered looking into it all properly, but now may have the urge. However it would help if Steve outlines his needs before I spend more time.

On the basis of safety, I am dismayed regarding the dangers inherent in many modern cars. Particularly the often concealed nature of inside door release handles.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-21-2007, 06:07 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Joe, my car is a JDM and locks when moving. This is not the real problem as i see it. If the passenger wishes to exit the car, the driver is unable to conveniently unlock the door for them. There also appears to be a problem if both driver and passenger try to unlock doors simultaneously and the interlocking then becomes confused.

To be honest I have not been bothered looking into it all properly, but now may have the urge. However it would help if Steve outlines his needs before I spend more time.

On the basis of safety, I am dismayed regarding the dangers inherent in many modern cars. Particularly the often concealed nature of inside door release handles.
Same problem as I had with my JDM Trevor. They had to do the factory fix, everybody had the same problem, letting passengers out.

I'll do a search on the previous discussions.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-21-2007, 06:48 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Same problem as I had with my JDM Trevor. They had to do the factory fix, everybody had the same problem, letting passengers out.

I'll do a search on the previous discussions.

Joe
Thanks Joe,

Having had a short time out and a rethink, it now comes back to me that the diagram I have, does not cover the JDM system. No motor/solenod/ actuator is shown for the drivers door, this side having only manual operation. My previous investigation had stalled at this point and went into the too hard basket. I am past diving under dashboards etc, in order to trace looms in difficult places.

However this fact will answer your query regarding the Australian model, as it does not appear to have the locking in motion feature.

Cheers, Trevor.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:08 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
It's probably easy enough to do Trevor.

I think the momentary switch does the same thing as the central locking switch. It deactivates all three locks, and it does them together in synch, so avoiding the other problem you mention.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-22-2007, 03:10 AM
Phil & Belha

I posted an answer to Steve's question in the other forum.

I am somewhat perplexed by the switch in my 94 to disable the auto locking feature. There does not seem to be a switch to re-enable it and the only method I can find of doing so is to disconnect the cars battery.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 02-22-2007, 03:16 AM

Registered SVX
Hiya guys,

Might be of some help but probably not!

I have had a cat1 alarm fitted to my JDM which locks & unlocks the car through the alarm remote, it also has the feature of being able to lock and unlock the car with the engine running from inside the car. Ie remote swtich.

I have the speed activated locking which after the alarm was fitted conflicted with the alarm, I spoke to the alarm fitter who said he had cut into the drivers side loom so thats why the drivers door did not lock, the flip side was the passenger door would lock and unlock everytime the speed sensor activated.

Under the passenger side dash I simply cut the speed wire to the relay/control box, maybe it would be possible for you to use this to run a switch from? Just a thought as it already sends a signal to both doors anyway.

Cheers
Darren.

11/94 SVX Alcyone, Mica Black, VL Spec 4WS, 71K Miles, 1 owner from new & was part of a private car collection in Japan.

Nissan R34 Skyline Stagea

91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo

1966 MGB Roadster, Tarten Red, Wire Wheels, Leather, 23K miles from new

You can tell the men from the boys from the speed of their toys.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:27 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha
I posted an answer to Steve's question in the other forum.

I am somewhat perplexed by the switch in my 94 to disable the auto locking feature. There does not seem to be a switch to re-enable it and the only method I can find of doing so is to disconnect the cars battery.
So has your '94 got the deactivating switch on the dash?

I was always under the impression that switch just unlocked the doors. They would then re-lock when the car drove off.

You are saying yours does not work this way, it actually stops the speed switch from working at all?

Curiouser and curiouser.

[I wonder if my '94 has this?]

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-22-2007, 03:31 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren
Hiya guys,

Might be of some help but probably not!

I have had a cat1 alarm fitted to my JDM which locks & unlocks the car through the alarm remote, it also has the feature of being able to lock and unlock the car with the engine running from inside the car. Ie remote swtich.

I have the speed activated locking which after the alarm was fitted conflicted with the alarm, I spoke to the alarm fitter who said he had cut into the drivers side loom so thats why the drivers door did not lock, the flip side was the passenger door would lock and unlock everytime the speed sensor activated.

Under the passenger side dash I simply cut the speed wire to the relay/control box, maybe it would be possible for you to use this to run a switch from? Just a thought as it already sends a signal to both doors anyway.

Cheers
Darren.
Ours did exactly the same on the alarm guy's first try.

He couldn't figure out how the central locking worked. Even called up Subaru UK and they didn't know either. I took it back several times and he eventually got it 90% right, but it's never been perfect. Since then I do my own alarm installs.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 02-22-2007, 08:01 AM

Registered SVX
Hi Phil,

The alarm guy had come across the same problem with soarers and a few other jap imports that have speed activated locking but could not find how the SVX is wired to overcome the problem.

Its not a big deal as my alarm has anti hijack and locks after 12 seconds of the engine starting, thats were the conflict came in with the passenger door and the speed activation.

I switch would be handy as I have to turn off my ignition or use the remote to open the passenger door.

On a slightly different note, has anyone ever managed to wire the folding mirrors into the locking on an SVX you know of?
I had the mod on my evo from Japan so everytime I locked the car on the locking remote or centrol locking the mirrors automatically folded in and opened on unlock obviously. I know there are few pages to do it on an FTO, just maybe its a mitsubishi thing?

Cheers
Darren

11/94 SVX Alcyone, Mica Black, VL Spec 4WS, 71K Miles, 1 owner from new & was part of a private car collection in Japan.

Nissan R34 Skyline Stagea

91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo

1966 MGB Roadster, Tarten Red, Wire Wheels, Leather, 23K miles from new

You can tell the men from the boys from the speed of their toys.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:37 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Yeah Darren

My Mitsubishi RVR can close the mirrors, but is not set to do it on autoclosure.

If I blip the remote closure twice quickly, the mirrors will fold after the vehicle is locked.

This has to be a handling function of the controller. I note on the diagram ours is called a timer. One could suppose if a Mitsubishi timer and remote receiver was put in its place, the mirrors would get the closing signal from the timer.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-22-2007, 09:17 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
So has your '94 got the deactivating switch on the dash?
I was always under the impression that switch just unlocked the doors. They would then re-lock when the car drove off.
You are saying yours does not work this way, it actually stops the speed switch from working at all?
[I wonder if my '94 has this?]
I believe this feature was first fitted to the S40-II model. It's a non-latching button next to the rear-window heater switch. I pressed it a few times and it didn't seem to do anything. But then later I noticed that the auto-locking was no longer working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren
On a slightly different note, has anyone ever managed to wire the folding mirrors into the locking on an SVX you know of?
I've thought of doing this myself, sounds simple in theory. But in the absence of a circuit diagram, lots of wire tracing will be involved.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II

Last edited by b3lha; 02-22-2007 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:08 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Are you guys talking about the button like this one that I have on my US 96 L (in lower-left corner of picture)? [EDIT: I'm referring to SURTEESS' original question, not the 'door lock cancel' button in the last several posts]

(Click these thumbnail images to see larger versions)
(tn)
According to the 1996 wiring diagram I have...
(tn)
that switch is a SPDT, [EDIT] center off, momentary rocker. It simply connects ground to either the "Lock" or "Unlock" input of the Door Lock Timer module. These same inputs are also wired up to outputs from the security/keyless entry module.

[EDIT: See my corrected diagram in post #21, below]

On the diagram that Phil/b3lha posted the link to [a post by John/Suby_Fan in another thread], those same pins on the Door Lock Timer module (pins 5 and 8) connect to the same pins on the "Electronic Module" as on the Security Module for my model (pins 14 and 15, respectively).

[EDIT] After further testing in my own car, I've discovered that the wiring diagrams show the functions of pins 14 and 15 swapped. 14 is unlock. This coincides with PhatWeasel's findings.

So if you can find those two wires, you should be able to add your own switch to the center console (or wherever you like).

Last edited by SVXdc; 03-01-2007 at 08:40 AM.