Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-02-2007, 04:37 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
If you have the window disconnected, it isn't that much more to remove the regulator. Once it's out you'll be able to see what the problem is.

Any heavy grease should be fine.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:33 PM

Since it was such a nice day, and I had the day off, I decided to get to the bottom of this problem. Still trying to avoid removing the mechanism from the door, I figured I could lube it while it was in place. I was able to do that, but I made a big mess too, and the noise didn't go away! Sometimes it sounded like it was coming from the regulator, and other times like it was coming from the top of the rail/upper pulley. I saw that when the window was all the way up, that the lowest exposed inch of cable had a slight bulge in it, as if it had been under compression and the spiral strands had separated a little. I lubed the cable as best I could, including what I could reach of the pulleys and the the spool at the motor. Since that didn't help, I had to remove the whole greasy, slippery mechanism from the door.

Once it was out, I determined that the noise was actually coming from the spool on the motor! The sound must have just been carrying through the cable while in the door. I was able to do a better job lubing the spool, pulleys, and cable, and clean up the rest a bit, but to no avail. When the spool rotates, it pulls in cable from one side and feeds cable out from the other side. It seems to be wrapping what it takes in over top of what needs to be fed out. What is being fed out is coming from below the top layer, therefore it's being ripped out of a little trench of cable.

That explains the noise, but not necessarily that bulged section. Either way, it looks like I'll have to replace the regulator soon. I put everything back together, and the window didn't want to go all the way up at first. To my surpise, an outer strand of the cable near the TOP pulley (not the bottom one) had been severed and jumbled up where the cable feeds into the sleeve! I put the window down, unwrapped that jumbled strand, then cut it off. At least I can get the window up now.