SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2005, 02:45 PM
Own'eded

Send a message via AIM to curly2k3 Send a message via MSN to curly2k3
SCCA/ Rally Racing, anyone, Bueller?

Does or has anyone competed in any of the SCCA classes or rallyed, or road raced with their SVX? just wondering because I am 16 now with my licesence and it seems very logical for me to keep out of street racing and do it in a sactioned event and not get the car impounded and get tickets, and it is blatent to me that the car is build for these purposes, AWD, 230hp, low COG, LSD, and stiff suspension, not to mension it screems FAST!
Old 02-25-2005, 03:36 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Ive only really rallied once with the SVX. Its not a very easy car to control...hard to swing around corners. At least i found it to be that way. I have rallied alot with my friends modded impreza which was much more fun and better. More fun with the impreza because i didnt have to worry about the SVX tranny over heating. Plus those little bastard imprezas are just damn fun to drive

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 02-25-2005, 03:38 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Re: SCCA/ Rally Racing, anyone, Bueller?

Quote:
Originally posted by curly2k3
...it is blatent to me that the car is build for these purposes...stiff suspension
Not so sure about that one.

There was an SVX in a rally in BC I believe. Was only a TSD rally but he did good none the less.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:42 PM
Unstoppable

Problem is, rallying is very expensive. Preparation will cost some good coin as you need some sort of longer travel suspension, wheels, tires, rollcage, seats,harnesses ETC. Thats just getting started and prolly not competitive. Also, its not if you'll break something, its when so you're gonna need to buy spares. Like any motorsport, you need to pay quite a bit to play.

As for road racing, if you're looking to do head to head racing thats also quite expensive and requires a pretty high level of prep just like rally. What you can do is try to get in touch with your local BMWCCA or Porsche club. Many hold track days that run between $150 and $200 a day, maybe more or less depending on the track. They're classified as "schools" because they have experienced instructors availible for ridealongs to help you on your techinque if youre a beginner, or you can go solo if thats what you wanna do. Unfortunately, I believe you have to be 18 to do these sort of events, so you might have to wait a few years.

Honestly though, what you're probably best off doing now is Autocross (also known as Solo II), which is basically a cone course set up in a parking lot that they time your runs on. There are classes that go from basically stock to whatever you can dream, so its easy to stay competitive as long as you're a good driver. If you're into going in straight lines, there are many drag strips all over the country that have street car nights where you pay some money and get to run till close, the number of runs is totally dependent on how many people show up. Its basically run what ya brung, so while a stock SVX wont be terribly competitive you dont need to do a lot of prep work to do it, just basic car maintenance.

Hope I shed some light on the subject for you.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
-George Carlin
Old 02-25-2005, 03:43 PM
Own'eded

I see I see, and not easy to swing around corners, what? I'm 16 and in teh snow I practice my slides and I have almost got tehm to a science wtih this car, they're SOO easy! Are you kiding me, I found that if you acclel in while turning in you bring the nose in tight, then you let of and hit the brakes turning the opposite way, let off teh brakes and once teh FRONT tires only get grip your set, accel thru and your done, the tricky part is connecting 2 or more corners together. Good luck with my style. Anyways, no one else has done solo1/solo2 autocross or rally, any of it?!?
Old 02-25-2005, 04:08 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Several of us race in auto-x
Old 02-25-2005, 08:04 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Alot of people do autoxing....no one i know does rallying. SVX isnt meant for either but its better for autoxing in my opinion. Get an impreza for rallying. Driving an automatic isnt safe for rallying....you have much more control with a manual gearbox.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 02-25-2005, 08:22 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
The SVX can be set up to be a good auto-X car, it just takes patience and $ (it runs in G-stock, which means you get to "dance" with supercharged Minis and Celicas ). You might also want to look into the "Time Trials" racing that SCCA is starting up - looks like fun! Check the SCCA web site for info - the rules are available as a .pdf file.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 02-26-2005, 06:31 AM
Pearlywhites1992

"I'm 16 and in teh snow I practice my slides and I have almost got tehm to a science"

I thought I had a LOT of things "down to a science" when
I was 16 too. We all do. Please go to a driving school,
for your sake and every one you share the road with.
I guarantee you won't regret it. There are most likely even
Rally schools in your area! Drive a race car, and then
you'll see that your SVX wasn't really intended for such
usage. Keep it between the snow banks Curly!
Old 02-26-2005, 07:33 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Re: Re: SCCA/ Rally Racing, anyone, Bueller?

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
There was an SVX in a rally in BC I believe. Was only a TSD rally but he did good none the less.
This was the guy...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 02-26-2005, 08:18 AM
Own'eded

I know that the imprezza is a better rallyier but I don't really have enough money to have my car right now! I'm 16, in HS, can't get a job right now because I am building a super millage race car, and I always have so much bloody homework. I might get a job soon tho, then I was actually thinking about selling my SVX because I have a couple of lines on dirt cheap Skyline GTS-Ts so, and thos have always been my dream car, speeking of which, does anyone know where I can find the guidlines adn regulations for importing a car from GB?
Old 02-26-2005, 09:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
you dont have time for a job but you can afford to import an skyline ??? pretty impressive...
Old 02-26-2005, 09:31 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
You know, I was about to call BS, and say 'every 16-yo has a source on cheap Skylines.'

But then I found this site:

http://www.japan-partner.com/

What I'm really curious about is whther or not you can actually register any of these cars here in the US. My guess is no. But still, if I wanted a track-only car (a predictable outcome), this might be a great place to start. Who cares if it's RHD?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 02-26-2005, 10:09 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
I've done a few rallies (sp?) in my fathers 98 impreza RS. That has to be one of the best cars to have fun with. Not sure how much experience you have, but you should try some events as maybe a novice or something. Make sure you have the right equipment such as rally clocks, etc. I competed without one as a novice one year and found out you really can't use a stop watch, ...it's just not precise enough!! I lost points for being 10ths of a second too fast and too slow.

Oh yeah, and it's also a bonus to get a good navigator that knows how to read directions.....lol
Old 02-26-2005, 11:07 AM
Weasel 22

Ill have the SVX at this years autox school in april here..I want to take her out and see what she does at full out..more of a learning experience...after this Ill be running my friends WRX for the season..at a cost of course ..but this keeps my SVX in one piece as a daily driver..in the future I will consider the SVX..after ive brought it to perfect mechanical condition and have spare cash for situations