IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2006, 10:16 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
Is this the right stuff?

I ordered some Additive online from NAPA yesterday.
I just want to know if this is the correct additive to add to the tranny.

P/N: Lubegard BK-765-2603
I couldn't get a view on the bottle to know exactly if this is what I need, but I think I read somewhere on NAISOC that impreza owners have used this.

They also mention MOPAR LSD additive and a GM Limited Slip Additive, but no part numbers and much descriptions as well on this.

Anyone know what Subaru uses and if so, what part number? I want to add this to my car when I get it back from the dealer. My suby dealer never adds anything to the transmission fluid...so I want to do this myself and diagnose from there.

Thanks,
Old 06-22-2006, 04:40 AM
It's just a phase

Registered SVX
Bump

Sorry had to bump...I should be getting this stuff today or tomorrow...Can anyone confirm if this is the right juice to use please?

Thanks
Old 06-22-2006, 11:30 AM
<<<Alcyone

I'm quoting the post from another member here (AutoTchr) who likes to rebuild automatic trannies for fun ( ):

"When I bought mine I noticed two different kinds: one was petroleum based and one mineral. The petroleum said very clearly "do not mix with atf" the mineral based had no warning.

ATF is mineral based so buy the mineral based friction modifier."

Good Luck,
Dan
Old 06-22-2006, 08:48 PM

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...ATF+Supplement

This sounds like it will work, but it's only 2 little ounces, oh well, worth a try..ordering now.
I will report back.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:55 AM
It's just a phase

Registered SVX
Ok let me tell you what this bottle says....It looks to be exactly the same as what Nysvx10 has a link for, but it's a bigger size.
The bottle has sperm whale oil in it...so sounds like it's mineral based.
The bottle says:
-Converts Dexron II/III into Highly Friction Modified ATF
-Prevents and Eliminates Torque Converter Lock-up shudder
-Anti-chatter in clutch packs
-Anti-shudder with converter clutches
-Increases fluid ability to transfer heat
-Frees hung-up governers
-Keeps valves free
-Smoother shifting and reduces drive train power loss
-Modifies harsh shifts and makes them quicker
and there are a few more things.

But this is the stuff to use right?? Just want to confirm b4 I add it to the tranny.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:18 AM

add through tranny dipstick?
Old 06-24-2006, 03:37 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Thumbs up

Although I did not use that particular brand, I have used this kind of additive with great success on two different SVX's using two different brands.

2 Oz. is all you will need, add it to the tranny through the dipstick, then take the car to a parking lot and do some slow full lock turns, about six in each direction.

Problem should be fixed !

I even changed the tranny fluid after a while, only because they were due, and never had to put the additive back in.

On the first one I did, it had severe binding, only when I made tight turns.

After I put the additive in, went to a parking lot, started to make some turns and the binding vanished ! -- I couldn't believe it worked so well and so fast.

The first one I used was made by Redline. -- 4 oz. bottle

The second time I couldn't find the Redline, so I found one by Ford.-- 3.8 oz.

Judging by the way they worked, 2 oz. should be OK.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:56 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
LSD additive cuts down on friction. So in the case you do have a faulty solenoid or clutch pack, you are mearly masking it and definately taking away from the AWD aspect of the car.

Tom
Old 06-24-2006, 11:30 PM

SOmetimes you just have to give in to the mechanical gods.
My 97 OBW had used the same additive. It made the AWD kick in a little slower, but finally it had to go to the dealer for a clutchpack rebuild. Once the unit starts chewing itself up, if a fluid change doesnt fix it, its too late.
SO 875.00 later ....

nipper
Old 06-26-2006, 04:35 AM
It's just a phase

Registered SVX
My dealer is getting around the clutchpack rebuild...I had a whole laundry list of problem areas and they kept finding things 'other' than what I wanted ...saying welll this may be why you are experiencing binding....any ways....I will try this stuff to see if the problem is reduced...that way I know where the problem lies.... Too bad there isn't someone from the forum that lives in Ohio that has done a rebuild on this. Yeah I'm running out of money to find someone who can actually perform the work I need. I'm so pissed now..damnit...what a way to start a monday!
Old 06-28-2006, 07:48 PM

Quote:
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...K&PartNumber=7 652969&Description=Lubegard+Highly+Friction+Modifi ed+ATF+Supplement

This sounds like it will work, but it's only 2 little ounces, oh well, worth a try..ordering now.
I will report back.
Well I tried this stuff, and it did not work. I think the problem has possibly gotten worse. I get a pretty big shudder that comes from directly under the center console when accelerating and turning under 5 MPH. After that speed, all is well. Tranny was completely rebuilt about 25,000 miles ago. What could be some causes/fixes for this shudder? Should I try another 2 ounces of the "Instant Shudder Fix"?
Old 06-28-2006, 10:39 PM
Maniac modifier

ok here is a good way to check... When it is vibrating and shuttering, toss it in neutral and shut off the car... Does it stop vibrating?? If it stops, it is a solenoid issue... if it continues, the clutches have seized and it is time for new ones before you shere off your transfer drum

Tom
Old 06-29-2006, 04:49 AM
It's just a phase

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by nysvx10
Well I tried this stuff, and it did not work. I think the problem has possibly gotten worse. I get a pretty big shudder that comes from directly under the center console when accelerating and turning under 5 MPH. After that speed, all is well. Tranny was completely rebuilt about 25,000 miles ago. What could be some causes/fixes for this shudder? Should I try another 2 ounces of the "Instant Shudder Fix"?
I just put that same stuff in my car yesterday with the engine warm....It says you add 1 ounce per quart of replaced ATF fluid when you drain and add..So if you drained 5 quarts of fluid, you need to add 5 ounces of additive when you re-add 5 quarts of fluid. The bottle I bought was 10 ounces...I added 5 yesterday. Now I've only driven it for 1.5 days and I don't notice the shudder as I turn at slow speeds....This tells me that the clutch packs needed a little lube.... But I also realize from what I've heard from the guru's on this site that this may only be temporarily fixing the problem...At least this tells me where the problem lies.

Tom, thanks for the tip to check if the solenoid is going funky. If I do experience any more shudder/vibration, I'll try that trick...I just hope I can do it quickly as I'm going slow in a turn...lol
Old 06-29-2006, 10:04 AM

There is no real way to do that test Tom becasue I need to be accelerating for it to happen and it only happens in the 0-5MPH range so there would be no time to switch to neutral and turn the car off. Forgot to mention that with the FWD fuse in the shudder goes away. I think I might try a few more ounces of the additive...
Old 06-29-2006, 10:09 AM
Maniac modifier

If the FWD fuse cures the issue it is a solenoid problem. The clutches seizing means that no matter what, it will still be binding

Tom