Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-04-2001, 07:26 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Rear LED strip???

How do I change/replace the lights in the LED strip across the top of the trunk deck? I can get to it fine, but do I have to break the seal to take out the entire assembly, or can I just take out all but the red lens that attaches to the seal, or what. If I take it out, can I replace LEDs or do I have to get a new assembly?
Mat-1
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 12-04-2001, 07:42 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Project or repair?

Mat,
Hopefully this is not a problem and you are working on a cool Knight Rider thingy!
I got a spare CHMSL from that wrecked pearly and I'll look at it later tonight for you.
Todd
Old 12-04-2001, 07:55 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Well, kinda

While I'm in there I might as well do something custom. I was thinking I could have it illuminate the SVX emblem, but I'm not so sure the strip is tall enough to accomidate that. Also, what is a CHMSL? I assume it's the LED strip, but I dunno. Whatever it is, thanks for looking at it for me. If it's what i need, I'd be happy to buy it. I mean, I'd go to Subaru and have them fix it, but I don't have the $400 laying around for the $4 worth of LED's and the $1 gasket. It's no biggie anyway. There are just 6 of those clusters out (don't know if they're reflectors or 9 individual LEDs) Regardless, it's hardly noticeable, so I'll probably just put it off. Thanks again though.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 12-04-2001, 09:18 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Re: Well, kinda

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX10
Also, what is a CHMSL? I assume it's the LED strip, but I dunno.
Sorry Mat, I tend to forget that when I'm talking about car parts with people (which is pretty much my day to day existence in equipment sales here in Detroit) that not everyone knows the lingo. CHMSL=Center High Mount Stop Light in automotive lighting speak.

I've looked at the CHMSL and it is a snap fit system with 7 tabs holding the lens to the LED frame. It does not appear to use adhesive. Pry it apart gently with multiple thin screwdrivers or scrapers and it should separate easily. I would think you'd be able to cut the printed circuit board its mounted on to make it go behind the SVX logo.

From this project it appears things are a little slow for you these days

C-ya
Todd
Old 12-04-2001, 10:07 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Angry

This thread gives me another chance to mount the soapbox. As I remember, the purpose of the center light was to give drivers a shot at seeing a car braking in the distance, ahead of the one you're tailgating. The idea HAD merit except now it has all the benefits of the human appendix, since most are mounted at the same level as the brakelights. One more thingy to throw bucks at without any benefit.
I'd like to see a strobe light mounted on every vehicle's roof, that would flash when the brakes were stomped upon. It's my firm belief that MOST accidents occur due to tailgating AND the inability to see what's going on 3 or 4 cars ahead of you.
Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 12-04-2001, 10:46 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
This thread gives me another chance to mount the soapbox. As I remember, the purpose of the center light was to give drivers a shot at seeing a car braking in the distance, ahead of the one you're tailgating. The idea HAD merit except now it has all the benefits of the human appendix, since most are mounted at the same level as the brakelights. One more thingy to throw bucks at without any benefit.
I'd like to see a strobe light mounted on every vehicle's roof, that would flash when the brakes were stomped upon. It's my firm belief that MOST accidents occur due to tailgating AND the inability to see what's going on 3 or 4 cars ahead of you.
Ron.
I'd never mount a soap box. It would give me splinters! Seriously, very true, Ron. But, if you really want to see an impressive sight, get about six SVXes in a row, at night, going down a Vermont freeway and watch them all hit the brakes in sequence. That familiar tail light and CHMSL coming on like dominoes is really, really cool.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-05-2001, 03:49 AM
Multiple Suby Owner

Very cool indeed

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

But, if you really want to see an impressive sight, get about six SVXes in a row, at night, going down a Vermont freeway and watch them all hit the brakes in sequence. That familiar tail light and CHMSL coming on like dominoes is really, really cool.

Yes, that was a very cool thing to be part of.
Old 12-05-2001, 04:33 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Before the CHMSL was required by law there was a product called Cyberlite. At least I think that was the name, my noodle's (not that noodle!) getting stiff in my advanced years. Anyway, it got brighter and flashed faster as brake pressure increased. A good idea, but you know Detroit wasn't going to pay someone for an idea.

Beav
Old 12-05-2001, 04:52 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
As I remember, the purpose of the center light was to give drivers a shot at seeing a car braking in the distance, ahead of the one you're tailgating. The idea HAD merit except now it has all the benefits of the human appendix, since most are mounted at the same level as the brakelights. One more thingy to throw bucks at without any benefit.
Ron.
I still wouldn't be able to see it, as About 3 out of every 4 vehc. aroud here are monster SUV which blocks my view of anything in front of the one I'm behind (except maybe a nuclear blast),
If only people that needed such a vehc. had one, they'd be a smaller segment of the market than the SVX

How'd that soapbox get down there?
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 12-05-2001, 03:39 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by huck369

I still wouldn't be able to see it, as About 3 out of every 4 vehc. aroud here are monster SUV which blocks my view of anything in front of the one I'm behind (except maybe a nuclear blast),
If only people that needed such a vehc. had one, they'd be a smaller segment of the market than the SVX

How'd that soapbox get down there?
I'm with you, there, Huck. I had my funny bone tickled this morning as I was driving to work. I just get a big laugh out of a guy in a suit driving to work in a behemouth "Excursion" especially since it is probably someone who wouldn't give the time of day to someone in "ordinary clothes" (know what I mean?). In my opinion, the only people who SHOULD be driving those vehicles should be dressed in overalls, and if the people who SHOULD have those vehicles, had 'em, they wouldn't see that much road time -- they'd mainly be lumbering through the "Back 40" checking on and feeding the herd, checking the fences, or hauling . . . well, something, besides stuffed shirts and soccer moms. Thanks, Huck. Here's that box you were standing on -- you can have it back now.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 12-05-2001, 06:16 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Thumbs up

OK, then.. Make that a 5 foot pole with a RED strobe on top mandatory for all Excursions, Unimogs & others of the ilk. We'll let arebub off with just a two foot pole. And Don, don't touch that last sentence. It's just too easy.
Ron.

'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
Old 12-31-2001, 07:46 AM
svxeno

Strobes

I saw a posting somewhere in here or there about having strobe(s) installed for tailgaters. I guess could be hooked up to the brake light circuit for auto activation. I wonder what the laws are for something like that. Now...(walking over and using a step ladder to get on the soap box)

SUV's aka Stupid Useless Vehicles, (for most of the people who drive them) with brush guards! Freekin BRUSH GUARDS!! Then, designer wheels!! I just don't get it. The most off road use they'll get is parking in the neighbors grass to make room for a cookout or something.

My last car was all but totalled by a Honda Passport with a brush card. She managed to brush a little more than $4000.00 worth of damage to my Sebring Coupe. (My previous Sebring Coupe)

Idiots like her ought to have to drive old grade school style "kickballs" with 4 wheels and a door just so they can't hurt or damage anyones stuff! Did I forget to mention she is/was uninsured at the time of the accident? The only injury I sustaned was a ruptured wallet. (Jumps off the soap box and mumbles sorry to be off subject)

Randy ii
(Not that I have an opinion or anything)
Old 01-03-2002, 09:13 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Thumbs down Re: Strobes

Quote:
Originally posted by svxeno
I saw a posting somewhere in here or there about having strobe(s) installed for tailgaters. I guess could be hooked up to the brake light circuit for auto activation. I wonder what the laws are for something like that. Now...(walking over and using a step ladder to get on the soap box)

SUV's aka Stupid Useless Vehicles, (for most of the people who drive them) with brush guards! Freekin BRUSH GUARDS!! Then, designer wheels!! I just don't get it. The most off road use they'll get is parking in the neighbors grass to make room for a cookout or something.

My last car was all but totalled by a Honda Passport with a brush card. She managed to brush a little more than $4000.00 worth of damage to my Sebring Coupe. (My previous Sebring Coupe)

Idiots like her ought to have to drive old grade school style "kickballs" with 4 wheels and a door just so they can't hurt or damage anyones stuff! Did I forget to mention she is/was uninsured at the time of the accident? The only injury I sustaned was a ruptured wallet. (Jumps off the soap box and mumbles sorry to be off subject)

Randy ii
(Not that I have an opinion or anything)
More useless crap due to "rice" pressure. I saw a Ford EXCURSION! with what must have been 20" chrome wheels & skinny tires. Must have been the special "Rally n' Rollover" edition.
Ron.

'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
Old 01-03-2002, 11:25 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Strobes

Quote:

More useless crap due to "rice" pressure. I saw a Ford EXCURSION! with what must have been 20" chrome wheels & skinny tires. Must have been the special "Rally n' Rollover" edition.
Ron.
Oh, that ain't nothin'. I saw a SUBURBAN with a custom yellow/purple r**e paint job and HUGE Arelli Assassyns on it. The funniest thing I'd seen since the "jacked in the back with slicks" Pacer with the "blower" sticking out of the hood, in Vermont.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 01-06-2002, 02:41 PM
EverclearAtMSU

Quote:

Ron.
A good idea, I did this btw. Not for the purpose of other people, but for myself, looks cool. Here's what I did. All my interior neon is hooked up to a switch (all on, all off, on via door, on via brake light) then there's a selector for 12V constant, or hooked into my "neon sub amp". Basically a small 100Watt amp hooked into my neon that makes it flash w/ the bass. Anyways, long story short, this is VERY illegal! cost me $600 in fines one night. I guess the cop didn't like knowing i was breaking.