Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-19-2004, 07:20 AM

Checking two more repairs off the list

In an uncharacteristic fit of motivation, I tackled two minor SVX projects over the weekend: replacement of the passenger door window switch and antenna mast. My thanks to the authors of the how-to/instructions I found hereabouts.

Replacing the window switch was truly a breeze. I've always had lousy luck with anything held in place by plastic-snap fasteners -- they typically either break when I pull them apart or refuse to align properly for reassembly -- but those securing the bottom of the door panel posed no problem at all. If you do this, go easy when prying-out the old switch. Mine had apparently been replaced before, as the plastic receiver into which it snaps was cracked.

I bought the new antenna mast months ago but had been putting-off replacing it because I had a feeling there would be more to the matter than described in the how-to. I was right. I couldn't get the plastic "cable" (for want of a better word) to engage the motor-driven reel by the procedure described and ended up taking apart the reel assembly and manually coiling the cable, which was a minor PITA because of the stiffness of the plastic and greasiness of the reel. The ball-end of the cable snaps into a notch in a plastic ring that floats within the reel, and keeping the cable from springing out ot the reel was a rather cumbersome operation. Then, when I replaced the reel on the central shaft, the threaded end didn't protrude far enough out of the housing cover, so I figured I wasn't getting the reel properly seated to engage the drive gear. I fumbled and fumed over this for quite some time before finally realizing that I'd unknowingly pushed the shaft (a long, thin bolt) back out the other side of the housing a bit when replacing the reel. (This typifies my mechanical prowess.) And I had no idea if I was actually doing anything right until getting it all buttoned-up and seeing that it actually worked. I should add that doing it this way eliminates the step of fiddling with the radio to get the new mast retracted. Also, I'd advise the use of a heavy-bodied, plastic-friendly grease for the inner workings, and silicone for the mast.

So anyway, the radio reception is substantially improved (the old antenna was stuck at half-mast), and passengers no longer need ask me to raise their window.

dcb
Old 07-19-2004, 10:09 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

That's awesome. Always feels good to get those little projects out of the way...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 07-19-2004, 12:04 PM

Yeah, it does feel good to get stuff like that done, but not quite as good as being lazy and procrastinating.

dcb