SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2004, 08:53 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
F'ing alternator... need help quick

Well i'm pretty sure my alternator just died. its been acting up, and finally just decided to stop. Idiot lights came on ( powersteering, ABS, brake(!), Battery, and i think one other) and had no power steering... interesting to drive the 3 miles or so home with no power steering... Anywho, I need to rebuild it, preferably to a higher amperage... any specific things i should ask for or should they all pretty much know what they are doing?

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker

Last edited by drivemusicnow; 05-21-2004 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:55 PM

if you have no power steering it's likely to be just a broken belt as that belt drives both the steering and the alternator
Old 05-21-2004, 09:18 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
You are a genius... and i'd show you the picture of whats left of the belt... but it doesn't seem to want to load.. so oh well thanks man... anybody got a part number on that?

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 09-12-2004, 06:53 PM
yellowledbetter

i hope you guys don't get mad for me bumping this, but i just had the samething happen. Lights all went on and suddenly i had no power steering. So it is the belt right under the alternator that is the problem. The belt seems to be just fine from what i can tell, but the wheel its on is completely loose and off. Any idea of this area is tough to work with (it seems that way) and i'd be better off taking it to a mechanic?

Last edited by yellowledbetter; 09-12-2004 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:32 PM
imjeremy77

Sounds like your crankshaft pulley

Sounds like the crankshaft pulley needs to be replaced. All the dashboard lights came on, then no power steering. Tried putting the belt back on but it kept slippping off. Turns out there's a plastic thing on the back of the pulley that breaks after so long. Do a search on here for crankshaft pulley. Mine brok eat 112,000k. I'm noooo mechanic so I took it to the Subaru dealer and it was kinda pricey...$600.00 here in So. Calif. But a bargain to me cuz I'm bad with tools. LOL. Hope this helps...
Old 09-13-2004, 04:37 PM
yellowledbetter

i finally got around to taking it all apart today, and i didn't notice any kind of plastic. What looks to be the problem is that the little nub that is supposed to be on a wheel behind the pulley (and turn the pulley) is completely grinded down and pretty much nonexisitant, so there's nothing to turn the pulley (which would explain the problem). Hopefully i'll be able to track down the parts fairly easily.