How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-10-2004, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Crash
I have been told on several occassions by mechs and people at intant oil changes (I get lazy sometimes) that you should NEVER put synthetic in a boxer motor. I have also heard that the syns will cause damage to the seals in the motor. Haven't found out first hand so I don't know for sure. But it is my $.02
Several years ago an issue arose with the introduction of synthetic oils for general aviation piston engines, the vast majority of which are (air-cooled) boxers. As I recall, the problem had to do with the synth product not coating the engine internals in the manner of conventional, mineral-based oil, thus allowing metal-to-metal contact at engine startup. If I'm not mistaken, Mobil paid a good number of claims for replacement aircraft engines, and I don't believe any manufacturer currently offers a pure-synthetic motor oil for aviation use.

dcb
Old 05-10-2004, 09:23 AM
red95svx

Aircarft engines are a whole different animal. They are similar, but very different to car engines. They use two plugs per cylinder, they have no emissions systems or cooling system, they are built to more demanding specs. and tolerances, and they run on leaded gas.

The problem with the early aviation synthetics was that they couldn't carry away the lead sludge that forms as a byproduct of combustion. As a result, they had to change the formula to include some "regular" oil that could carry away the lead.

Dave
Old 05-10-2004, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by red95svx
Aircarft engines are a whole different animal. They are similar, but very different to car engines. They use two plugs per cylinder, they have no emissions systems or cooling system, they are built to more demanding specs. and tolerances, and they run on leaded gas.

Dave
Of course. I mean only to suggest the fact that problems did occur with the use of synthetic oil in boxer-configured aviation engines may have been the origin of the aforementioned "don't use synthetics in boxer engines" adage.

dcb
Old 05-10-2004, 10:09 AM
red95svx

That's what I was thinking.

Dave
Old 05-10-2004, 10:18 AM
JackieBeans

Hey I'm in bloomfield, nj

I am in Bloomfield NJ - lets get a beer and shoot the $H#&. I have a 92 that I am replacing the alternator on now. Well - tomorrow morning anyway. . . But - shoot me an e-mail if you want. Your right up the road.

I run a silver can of "Stop Leak" I think it's called at Pep Boys that does a pretty good job by the way. It comes in different sizes for 4/6/8 Cyl engines. You put a can in when you change your oil. About 6.00 a can.

Hope it helps
Old 05-10-2004, 11:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to wynndi Send a message via Yahoo to wynndi
mmmmm, beer!

I hear that there may be an Atlantic City get-together. Maybe we could "convoy" over there with some other locals!

Old 05-10-2004, 12:08 PM

I have used a additive called OMEGA, this additive refreshens all rubber seals it come in contact with in a engine, Manual- ,Auto -gearboxe's ,powersteering and so on.

4% to cure a emergency leak, and 1% otherwise.

The only thing is that this additive costs ALOT ...

And I don't know if it's avaiable in the US.

/Sonny

-92 ebony black with 170k KM

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***
Old 05-10-2004, 01:18 PM
JackieBeans

Atlantic City

if there should be an atlanic city showing - I would definately like to check that out.