How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-27-2004, 07:31 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Question Sparkplug question...

My 'Check Engine' light has been on since I picked up my SVX 4/24 and when I ran the error codes they were for the knock sensor and something electrical associated with it (error codes: P0325 - knock sensor & P0748 - electrical).

I've added STP super concentrated gas/fuel injection cleaner and reset the ECU to see if the light would come back on... It stayed off all day, but on my drive back home I decided to take 'er up to redline and somewhere around 5500 it came back on. I'm thinking that I my engine must have a slight detonation that keeps re-occuring.

Since my fuel injectors are now clean, I can only assume it is one or more of my spark plugs. As I plan on doing a series of NA mods to my car (intake, full exhaust & performance cams) in the coming months, I figured it'll be best to just have all six changed.

What spark plug do you guys recommend that I use? Should I run the stock ones from my Subaru Dealer, or would this be a good time to put something better in?

Thanks!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 04-27-2004, 08:02 PM

first, I wouldn't assume the STP product cleaned your fuel injectors. I would try a bottle of Techron (black), Redline's SL-1, or maybe Lucas UCL. there really aren't that many cleaners that work as advertised.

I would think OEM plugs are good. I put in Bosch +4s a few months back and so far no problems, but with maybe 10k miles, I can't really recommend them quite yet.

last, but not least, the knock sensor failure would , I assume, result in a less than optimum ignition curve regarding spark advance. the code is telling you the sensor failed, not that you have too much knock. this would reduce fuel economy & power output as a minimum side-effect. I have not changed one myself, but do a search, there are instructions in previous threads here and it didn't seem too hard from what I read.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:38 PM

The EG33 has two knock sensors - correct? One for each side of the engine.

Would it still be a good idea to change the plugs just to be on the safe side as well as replacing the sensor?

Maybe I could get a used sensor off of someone parting out their SVX...

Old 04-27-2004, 08:42 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
PM me your address. I have a used sensor that worked fine when I replaced it.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:44 PM

unless you are pretty sure the spark plugs are giving you trouble, or you have more than 100K miles, i wouldn't replace them. On most cars I wouldn't give this advice, but with the expense of the coils and relative difficulty.....YMMV
Old 04-27-2004, 08:55 PM

PM sent. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
PM me your address. I have a used sensor that worked fine when I replaced it.

Old 04-27-2004, 08:58 PM

Funny you should say 100K miles...my car has 96,000 and I just picked her up 4/24 and I have minimal maintenance records from the previous owner.

I think longassname is selling his stock NGK plugs for 50% off - I'll see if they're still for sale.

-Chike

Quote:
Originally posted by lee
unless you are pretty sure the spark plugs are giving you trouble, or you have more than 100K miles, i wouldn't replace them. On most cars I wouldn't give this advice, but with the expense of the coils and relative difficulty.....YMMV