Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-15-2001, 04:37 PM
Qclass

Question Rattling heatshield

Hello fellow SVXers,

I had my service gargage remove some of the exhaust heatshield to stop the annoying rattling. The mechanic removed "as much as he comfortably could". However, the rattling is still there, though not as bad. So my question is how much can I remove with out compromising my safety? Is there another option?

Duke
Old 10-15-2001, 04:45 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: Rattling heatshield

Quote:
Originally posted by Qclass
Hello fellow SVXers,

I had my service gargage remove some of the exhaust heatshield to stop the annoying rattling. The mechanic removed "as much as he comfortably could". However, the rattling is still there, though not as bad. So my question is how much can I remove with out compromising my safety? Is there another option?

Duke

Well, stay off the dry grass. I have seen guys on Honda intregras taking them all out and they are fine. If it is still rattling, check the resonator. My resonator was removed due to the rattling ( and most exaust places will not touch it).

Good luck
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 10-15-2001, 06:28 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I happen to like the heat shields. I do not like the idea of water hitting the exhaust pipe directly. You know? Driving through puddles and such. The exhaust pipe is hot and water is cold. Thermal stress is the result. Just my thoughts on the subject. I am rather impressed with the SUBARU exhaust system. In general I think they last a real long time.

I was looking at my heat shields yesterday and I was surprised to see something that looks like insulation material jamed inside between the shield and pipe. Rattle stopper?
Old 10-15-2001, 06:36 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Smile

Lwin's probably right. I had the "buzz" when I purchased the car in January. I had my "all-purpose" mechanic check it out. He didn't think removing the heat shields was a good idea, so he packed in some asbestos & tightened them. The buzz was actually coming from the resonator. I lived with it until just last week when I bit the bullet & took the car to Meineke. They replaced the resonator with a straight pipe to the tune of $145.00 (claimed they had to spend 2 hours disassembling the rear of the exhaust system). Anyway, it's only money & all traces of the buzz have disappeared.
Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 10-15-2001, 06:45 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
Lwin's probably right. I had the "buzz" when I purchased the car in January. I had my "all-purpose" mechanic check it out. He didn't think removing the heat shields was a good idea, so he packed in some asbestos & tightened them. The buzz was actually coming from the resonator. I lived with it until just last week when I bit the bullet & took the car to Meineke. They replaced the resonator with a straight pipe to the tune of $145.00 (claimed they had to spend 2 hours disassembling the rear of the exhaust system). Anyway, it's only money & all traces of the buzz have disappeared.
Ron.
I had the exhaust rattles, too. Two different muffler shops told me it was the heat shields, one guy even pulled out a dent in one. No change in rattling. The local Meineke shop wouldn't even talk to me about replacing the resonator with a straight piece of pipe; gave a lot of stuff about EPA regulations. (Not that a resonator has diddly squat to do with emissions!) I did get a little muffler shop in the next town down the road to replace it with an 18" glasspack. It took about 30 min. and was much less than $145. But the result was the same - no more rattle. I would be really reluctant to remove any heat shields.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 10-15-2001, 10:04 PM
deadeye95

Thanks for the posts

This sounds like the fix to my problem.

I have laid on the ground and hit everything that looked like a heatshield (and everything else for that matter) with a wrench to duplicate that rattle. All I got was a dirty shirt.

Now I'm trying to figure out how I can see my transmission mounts from a car that I can't even fit my head under!
Old 10-16-2001, 12:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Quote:
They replaced the resonator with a straight pipe to the tune of $145.00 (claimed they had to spend 2 hours disassembling the rear of the exhaust system)
Oh my word. I had my resonator removed just a couple weeks ago. Took a total of about 8 min, and cost me $30. They majorly ripped you off I'm afraid.

Ryan

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 10-16-2001, 11:38 AM
cmoreloc13

Rattling heatshield

My understanding, right or wrong, is that the heatshields are there for two reasons. 1) to keep heat in the exhaust system. Keeping the temperature up in a certain range helps with emissions. The cats run hot so they can do their job. Without heatshields and the packing, the exhaust is cooled enough to drop the temp. below this optimum range. 2) to avoid a fire hazard.

Chuck
Old 10-16-2001, 11:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Sounds like a reasonable reason. However, as for everyone with the terrible "buzz" noise. I would first to look at your resonator and not assume its a heat sheild. Seems to be the root of the problem for everyone that I have talked to.

Ryan

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 10-16-2001, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Ron.
Ouch! I went to the local shop in chicago and paid them 20 bucks cash for parts and labour. Meineke would not touch it -- They keep telling me that was the cat.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Old 10-16-2001, 12:29 PM

Re: Thanks for the posts

Quote:
Originally posted by deadeye95

I have laid on the ground and hit everything that looked like a heatshield (and everything else for that matter) with a wrench to duplicate that rattle. All I got was a dirty shirt.

Now I'm trying to figure out how I can see my transmission mounts from a car that I can't even fit my head under!

Put your car on the lift. Start the car and press gas while on the lift to make the sound. then someone go down and look the exause to see where the problem really is.

Lwin
Old 10-16-2001, 01:41 PM
Lowered SVX

before i had my custom exhaust installed.

i had the loud rattle problem too. local mechanic replaced it for $50 with a piece straight pipe. car sounded pretty good after the resonantor was removed. i have since removed all of my heat shields. i dont make it a habit of parking my car on dry grass so i am not worried about fire. i wanted to get rid of the weight and the potential for more rattles. i am not disappointed nor have i had any problems.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 10-16-2001, 03:04 PM
sk8ing19

I would say it is your resonator. like ryan, I had mine done for 30 bucks and 8 mins later no buzz.

Good Luck
Old 10-16-2001, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nvrmore100

Oh my word. I had my resonator removed just a couple weeks ago. Took a total of about 8 min, and cost me $30. They majorly ripped you off I'm afraid.

Ryan
Well, you said bluntly what I was hinting at. Even with the glasspack, the whole thing only cost me $45. Sorry, Ron, but I have to agree with Ryan. They did a big number on you. Ouch!

Old 10-16-2001, 03:21 PM

Re: Thanks for the posts

Quote:
Originally posted by deadeye95

Yeah, you just about have to put it on a lift to do anything.

One muffler guy banged on everything, including the resonator, and absolutely swore it WAS NOT the resonator. Guess what - it was the resonator. So just whacking it with a wrench will not necessarily identify it as the source of the buzz. As someone else suggested, putting it the lift and revving the engine is a much better diagnostic.

My personal feeling is that it's better to put something other than a piece of pipe in place of the resonator, hence the glasspack, which acts something like the resonator. Of course, a lot of folks have the pipe, and it doesn't seem to cause problems. Either way, getting rid of the resonator will probably fix your problem.