Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2020, 10:41 AM

Power steering pump for Lsi needed

Hey everyone,
Been a long time since my last post but a lot has happened.
I pulled my engine for the first time (ever) and finally replaced all the valve cover gasket pieces and grommits with Subaru OEM seals. It seems to have fixed most the leak although I think I saw some spots on my driveway and I could still feel fresh oil on the control arms. The timing belt, idlers and water pump were replaced with GMB components (I know most would tell me to go OEM but I am on a bit of a budget). Everything went back in well except for actually lowering the engine into the car, it turns out unbolting the exhaust made it wayyy easier to slide the engine back into position on the exhaust bolts. Finally I got it started yesterday, and it started/ran/drove well, aside from the fact that it sounded horrible. SOOO much ticking, I figured it was from the hydraulic lash adjusters (thought I destroyed them somehow) and I knew I'd have to pull it again to fix it. Well this morning I went out and started it, and after ticking for half a second it quieted down. Took it for a drive and everything seems great.

Sorry for the long rant,
Anyways, about a year ago I rebuilt my power steering pump using all OEM components to get rid of the grindy air noise. I can't remember if I replaced the main shaft or not, but it ran well for a couple months until I realized that I didn't tighten the main shaft/pulley nut well enough and it bent the shaft or pulley to the side and was spinning slightly off center (wiggling side to side as it turned). I haven't driven the car that much the past 4 or so months and just noticed today that it was getting really bad.

Its looking like I need a new pump or I need to rebuild again... I am not even sure if I could rebuild the pump because of possible internal damage from the shaft spinning while bent. I have looked on ebay, jauce (kinda japanese ebay), called autozone and napa, and I can't find the pump for an Lsi.

So my questions are
Does anyone here know of a different source or is someone looking to sell one laying around? Even some tips for finding one would help. Or should I just re-re-build my pump?
Also, would it be possible to get a belt to direct-drive from the crank pulley to the alternator and bypass the power steering so I can still drive the car?

John