SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2014, 12:31 PM
Reptile Wisdom
Subaru Bronze Contributor

OEM Wheels?

I am seeking advice on methods to restore and refinish OEM Wheels. I have three sets of wheels, but they all have some bubbling and pitting.

I like the look of the original wheels and they do contribute to brake cooling, but it seems they will begin to bubble and corrode after awhile in the Northeast winter salt conditions.

A while back, I had a set sandblasted and powder coated (Black) But I didn't care for the look, and the expense ($125 per wheel) was as much as buying OEM wheels from some of the suppliers on-line.

I'm thinking maybe just some nice BRIGHT SILVER Rustoleum spray bomb after a good cleaning, may be just as practical.

IDEAS GUYS.. or do you have a set on nice wheels for sale under $250 bucks.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: OEM Wheels?

The bright silver would need a couple of coats of clear to protect the metallic and keep them from becoming dull.

For long term, all seasons, powdercoating is the way to go. I have a set of bright silver for sale. Unfortunately it's not in your price range.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61956

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 07-19-2014, 02:24 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I am doing the same with my winter wheels. I am using the Dremmel to sand down the corrosion then I am going to put a couple coats of Duplicolor bright silver wheel paint on them. I know from experience that getting tires mounted on home refinished wheels puts bib scratches around the edges, but it is easy to touch up and otherwise holds up pretty well.

A friend of mine refinished a set of wheels for his Mustang, he used black Plastidip then he spray painted the Plastidip with gunmetal grey paint. Sounds like a bad idea but the results were impressive.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 07-19-2014, 07:35 PM
Eat smart, bacon smart

If you're willing to make a little drive, not sure where you live... There is a guy in Millerstown a few miles off 322 that powder coats wheels for $40-80 a wheel last time I checked. He does it as a side job in the evenings and weekends he mainly does wheels and sprint car frames. PM me if you want his contact as I only have his personal cell. I'll dig up some examples of his work.

$70-wheel due to newish bbs finish is a pain to remove 18x8's

$40-wheel they where old crap finish and 15x7

1992 SVX - sold

Last edited by Mckchr67; 07-19-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:49 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
I am doing the same with my winter wheels. I am using the Dremmel to sand down the corrosion then I am going to put a couple coats of Duplicolor bright silver wheel paint on them. I know from experience that getting tires mounted on home refinished wheels puts bib scratches around the edges, but it is easy to touch up and otherwise holds up pretty well.

A friend of mine refinished a set of wheels for his Mustang, he used black Plastidip then he spray painted the Plastidip with gunmetal grey paint. Sounds like a bad idea but the results were impressive.
Be careful about using the Duplicolor clear on top of the Silver, from experiance, it turns yellow.
1997 Ebony #308 113k "The Black Diva"SOLD
1992 Black over Liquid Silver 152k SOLD
1992 Ebony 251k 444 SOLD
1999 Silver SLK230 134k SOLD
1997 Green Outback 137k SOLD
2013 Honda Accord I4 SOLD
2015 Subaru Crosstrek 30k
2018 Tesla M3 30k
Old 07-19-2014, 07:57 PM
Eat smart, bacon smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by processengr View Post
Be careful about using the Duplicolor clear on top of the Silver, from experiance, it turns yellow.
I have had duplicolor and rustoleum crinkle and yellow on me. Coming from a lot of bbs wheel refinishing I have had much better results with Wurth silver wheel paint. It looks better and has less metallic and accepts clear a lot better.
1992 SVX - sold
Old 07-20-2014, 06:39 AM

If you want to be serious about clear coating try the 2K product. Available in rattle cans and as the original 2 part (ya really cool two separate parts in one can) from Spray Max and also a company version from Eastwood
http://www.eastwood.com/spray-max-2k...CODE=BNB00145#
Pricy as heck but really hard and non yellowing.

Do not apply in the sun or when it is hot as you could get some "orange peel" effect instead of the smooth finish.

Last edited by gwynethh; 07-20-2014 at 06:41 AM. Reason: more info
Old 07-20-2014, 08:32 AM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckchr67 View Post
I have had duplicolor and rustoleum crinkle and yellow on me. Coming from a lot of bbs wheel refinishing I have had much better results with Wurth silver wheel paint. It looks better and has less metallic and accepts clear a lot better.
When I refinished one of my wheels I had NAPA mix up a silver spray bomb then clear coated with Duplicolor. Crinkle was the name of the game in very short order.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:58 AM

Cool thread.. I was thinking of taking a whack at powder coating a set of rims at home. I've got four sets of them and I was going to use a pressure washer sand blaster to rip them down to bare metal, and then use an Ebay powder coating kit. To bake them, I can get a junk electric stove off kijiji for free ( powder coating kit instructions say not to use your home oven .. LOL. )

Has anyone ever..

A) Used a pressure washer sandblaster on a rim?

B) Done their own powder coating with a kit?

Does any one know...

A) How much media is needed per wheel? ( I've seen it at around $15.00 a pound.. how many pounds for four rims?)

B) How tough is powder coating compared to the original rim finish?

Thanks..
Old 07-23-2014, 08:30 AM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX

I should think soda blasting would be superior. Sand is pretty abrasive on soft metal.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:37 AM

Hi Guys. I know we can not compare prices between UK and US but first job on my SVX was to have the wheels stripped and powder coated. Cost was about $425 for the set of 4 but the finish is superb and I know from experience that they will stand up to tyre (tire) fitters at least as good as OEM finish.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:45 PM
Eat smart, bacon smart

I've replied to a couple pm's and email with contact info for the local guy, Donny Campbell in millerstown, pa, that does powder coating as I mentioned above. Let me know if anyone is interested in his contact info.
1992 SVX - sold
Old 07-30-2014, 09:45 PM

@ SVX_MY_BABY... Should've said I was going to be using a wet sandblaster with crushed glass for media. I don't know if it's gentler, but it was 35 cents a pound.

As it seems that none of us have taken a crack at this yet, it looks like I should start a new thread and start this experiment sooner, rather than later.

I picked up the wet sandblaster last Saturday. I'll get a set of rims from storage, order the powder kit and start looking for an oven.

As the OP was looking to beat $125.00 a rim, I'll treat it like a project on a budget and include all costs.

So far, it's $112.00 for the wet sandblaster. If I do 12 rims, that's less than $10.00 a rim.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:27 PM
Eat smart, bacon smart

I was over around the powder coating shop tonight to drop off some stuff and saw a set of svx wheels in there. I've gave his info out to a few people now, I didn't get around to asking Donny whose they were.

If anyone else is interested.... His shop is located at approximately 300 W Juniata Pkwy, Millerstown, PA 17062 on the left when heading south. I'd check with him on the actual address of the shop, it is right across from hf Campbell & sons trucking. His name is Donny Campbell and his number is seven one seven 4182780, best time to get a hold of him is later afternoon or just leave a message.
1992 SVX - sold

Last edited by Mckchr67; 09-24-2014 at 09:33 PM.

Tags
refinishing, wheels