Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-05-2009, 03:01 AM

4eat question...Need help!!!

Ok here is the deal. I have a 1997 SVX that I have pulled the transmission from and done a 5 speed swap into. Left over is the 4EAT with a bad ring and pinion gear set in the transfer case... Rest of the internals are pretty much brand new when I pulled apart the transmission and inspected it. Car shifted perfect, drove fine and gear oil is immaculately clean before the pinion gear blew. Now I also have a 1990 subaru legacy with the 4eat which was towed and burned up in the process by the dumb a$$ who I got it from. Internals are fried when I pulled tranny apart. These transmission look identical from what I can tell except for the gear ratio obviously since the 90 legacy is a 3.90 and the svx is not. (sorry can't remember final drive to the svx but on with the point) The question being can I rip all the good internals from the svx and put them in the 1990 with out running into any problems. I plan on using every thing in the extension housing in from the legacy and all the internals from the svx. Is this possible. Can I do this with out any problems? the plan is to have a good legacy. Please help because I could really use a cheap fix right now. Much help was received on my 5 speed swap from every one on her so I'm hoping this is the best place to ask since every one has been so great. Thank you and any information will help. If any more info is needed let me know. I am more than willing to take pics etc. Private messages are welcome. Thanks again guys!!!

Brandon770
Old 08-05-2009, 05:21 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Re: 4eat question...Need help!!!

Rather than swap the internals, swap the good legacy front diff onto the good SVX trans. Search for a write up from TomsSVX on the process.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
Rather than swap the internals, swap the good legacy front diff onto the good SVX trans. Search for a write up from TomsSVX on the process.
+1 The SVX transmission is slightly different but actually superior to the other transmissions. It fails because its made for long slow shifts since it was made to be a cruising car.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:54 AM

Thanks guys. I ended up having to rebuild the transmission for there was a couple things that needed repair in the extension housing on the svx transmission. I just pulled every things apart and cleaned it all up really good and used all the best looking parts out of the two. All I have left to do is bolt the transfer case together back on, the oil lines, the oil pan and then put it back into the legacy to give her a test drive. Looks like I may end up with quite a good transmission in the long run since I used the svx casing and internals. Your help is much appreciated. Thank you. I'll make sure to give ya guys an update if I get her in soon. Thanks again.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon770 View Post
Thanks guys. I ended up having to rebuild the transmission for there was a couple things that needed repair in the extension housing on the svx transmission. I just pulled every things apart and cleaned it all up really good and used all the best looking parts out of the two. All I have left to do is bolt the transfer case together back on, the oil lines, the oil pan and then put it back into the legacy to give her a test drive. Looks like I may end up with quite a good transmission in the long run since I used the svx casing and internals. Your help is much appreciated. Thank you. I'll make sure to give ya guys an update if I get her in soon. Thanks again.
You might suspect that the C solenoid/transfer valve in the SVX box may have been not working, to cause the front diff to blow. If you are going to use it, I would give the transfer valve a good cleaning as it may have been sticking.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
You might suspect that the C solenoid/transfer valve in the SVX box may have been not working, to cause the front diff to blow. If you are going to use it, I would give the transfer valve a good cleaning as it may have been sticking.

Harvey.

Thank you. Where is the C solenoid/transfer valve?
Old 08-07-2009, 01:43 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon770 View Post
Thank you. Where is the C solenoid/transfer valve?
Sorry about that, I should have said. It is in the rear housing on the back of the box. It controls the AWD that was probably not working, on yours, to allow the front wheels to spin and shock the gears in the diff.
You can see it here;

It's in the lower right hand corner of the housing. You can see the wire that runs from the main section to the solenoid. It looks like this, in the center of the clutch plates

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.