How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-16-2007, 04:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to Roo Send a message via Yahoo to Roo
Electrical issues...

I'm finally getting to diagnosing and troubleshooting the electrical issues which plague the SVX which I inherited.

If anyone could help, I'd appreciate it very much. I finally removed the seats and the center console to clean the interior, and after my wife helped clean it, I now have room to lay down while working under the dash.

I've found that most everything works, except one fuse...which blows the moment it's installed.

That fuse is the "Cruise/ABS" fuse, rated at 10A ... and that's the only one that's blown...

...and the last person to replace it placed a 20A fuse in there.

What should I be looking for as a possible culprit in this situation? Is there some sort of relay or something in the ABS system that might be shorted out? Is it something in the cruise control? Or am I totally being misled?

Some other strange things...

Driver door open, no lights come on, passenger door opens, foot lights come on, driver door light comes on, but not passenger light.

Windows don't work at all. All switches/power is dead to those.

Any things to look for and chase?

Last edited by Roo; 12-16-2007 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:04 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Roo, I don't have a clue on the abs, but Trevor is good with electrics, he may chime in.

Regards the power windows, would you know if the car has had a leak into the interior, or if it ever was in a flood, even a shallow one?

The reason I ask is because the relay for the power windows is under the carpet on the floor. If it gets wet it can corrode the earth connections, then the electric windows don't work.

There is a hole in the carpet you can poke into to check, but in your case you may have to take out the seats, lift the carpet and check the electrical gear under there.

The problem is usually corroded earths not grounding, but possibly the relay/s may be toast.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-16-2007, 10:33 PM

Registered SVX
Joe always gives me the curly ones.

As far as I can ascertain from the data I have, fuse No. 18 is the one which is blowing. This fuse supplies the ABS control unit, as well as the cruise control unit via the cruise control main relay and the cruise control main switch.

The cruise control relay has been often reported as buzzing and therefore faulty. As a first option I would take the cover of the ABS enclosure and remove this relay and observe the result.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 12-16-2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Roo, I don't have a clue on the abs, but Trevor is good with electrics, he may chime in.

Regards the power windows, would you know if the car has had a leak into the interior, or if it ever was in a flood, even a shallow one?

The reason I ask is because the relay for the power windows is under the carpet on the floor. If it gets wet it can corrode the earth connections, then the electric windows don't work.

There is a hole in the carpet you can poke into to check, but in your case you may have to take out the seats, lift the carpet and check the electrical gear under there.

The problem is usually corroded earths not grounding, but possibly the relay/s may be toast.

Joe
I'm guessing I just got lucky to run into this answer, as we removed the seats AND the center console in order to clean the car...we're going to detail this car out some more. Should I be removing the carpet on the driver side or passenger side?

BTW, any clues while they're out on how to lube and grease the seat motor? I finally got it to move forward enough to take it out, but once I removed the bolts, the seat didn't want to go back anywhere close to the far back position it was in beforehand.

Last edited by Roo; 12-16-2007 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Joe always gives me the curly ones.

As far as I can ascertain from the data I have, fuse No. 18 is the one which is blowing. This fuse supplies the ABS control unit, as well as the cruise control unit via the cruise control main relay and the cruise control main switch.

The cruise control relay has been often reported as buzzing and therefore faulty. As a first option I would take the cover of the ABS enclosure and remove this relay and observe the result.
Fuse No. 18 IS the fuse I'm talking about. I'll have to check the ABS relay...and since I work for a Subaru dealership, I'll simply order up a pair of them...one for the motor, and the other for the valve, if that is the problem.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:56 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
This may shed some light on something to check as well. I had a similar electrical gremlin that suddenly showed up, constantly blowing one fuse circuit.

See THIS THREAD for background information and post #15 for the answer.

Something to consider.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 01-11-2008, 03:02 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo View Post
Fuse No. 18 IS the fuse I'm talking about. I'll have to check the ABS relay...and since I work for a Subaru dealership, I'll simply order up a pair of them...one for the motor, and the other for the valve, if that is the problem.
Hi Roo
Have you found out what was causing the #18 fuse to blow? Mine is doing the samething.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42693
Thanks
92 Black SVX LSL with B&M cooler & Aux filter. Small Car Shift Kit. Gone
94 Red SVX L FWDwith LSL Leather Interior. SOLD
92 Teal SVX LSL....with B&M cooler & Aux filter. Small Car Shift Kit. SOLD
95 Polo Green........With Trany Problem. GONE
Almost complete Rear Wheel Bearings Job with Pictures in my locker
My Locker http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?pearlm30
Old 01-11-2008, 04:33 PM

Registered SVX
Just an update. Checked the brake pedal switch and the relay under the ABS cover in engine bay, still blown fuse. So I decided to pulled out the passenger seat and got the ABS module out. No physical damage. The gound wiring looked ok, so I unplug the ABS module and turn the ignition on, no more blown fuse.
So is the short within the ECU or the wiring from the fuse to ABS module?
Any advice?
Thanks again
Old 01-11-2008, 05:55 PM

Registered SVX
Thumbs up Problem Solved!!!

I decided just to swap the ABS module with my 92 black and the # 18 fuse no longer blow.. I can even turn on the cruise control light.
So there we go, a bad ABS control module!
Thanks for anyone's help. I appreciated!
And for roo, I hope you found your problem as well.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:02 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlm30 View Post
Just an update. Checked the brake pedal switch and the relay under the ABS cover in engine bay, still blown fuse. So I decided to pulled out the passenger seat and got the ABS module out. No physical damage. The gound wiring looked ok, so I unplug the ABS module and turn the ignition on, no more blown fuse.
So is the short within the ECU or the wiring from the fuse to ABS module?
Any advice?
Thanks again
This would indicate that the short circuit is within the ABS unit or wiring connected to the unit.

Connect a bulb or voltmeter across the fuse holder to save the cost of blowing fuses. A bright bulb or 12/14 volts indicated will show a short.

Disconnect the hydraulic unit under the hood, to check if this is involved in the short circuit.

If no result, disconnect plugs to the ABS unit separately to discover which may contain the shorted circuit.

Sensors and wiring being in exposed locations are likely suspects and can be checked in the next step.

P.S ------- You beat me to it. Our wires crossed. Good news you have the culprit.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 01-11-2008 at 06:06 PM. Reason: P.S.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:09 AM

trying to start a car thats been sitting two yrs

Here is what I have done:
1. new battery
2. change oil and filter
3. change tranny fluid and filter
4. change air filter
5. change crank angle sensor

You guys have tought me about the 10 pin diagnostic connector and the blue wires and near the left foot of driver behind the pannel (thanks)

i connected the blue wire into the second spot from the left on the top row which was told to me to be the (#2) spot and used to read the memory.

i followed the diagnostic directions further which was to try to start the engine and stop and count the number of times the check engine light blinks (long blink means 10, short blink means 1)

I saw 2 long blinks and 9 short blinks, (29) I then looked at the list down to number 29 and it read exactly "Crank angle sensor"

So I went to Autozone and ordered the part *Autozone calls it a crank position sensor* and when it came in I installed it and didnt start.
I rechecked the diagnostic the same way as stated before and i am getting the same reading (29)

Q: What else is good to do to this car cause its been sitting?
Q: Would a blown motor cause this?
Q: Was I given misguided diagnostics code meanings?
Q: Is it possable that the new sensor was bad also? (it was given to me in a labled ziplock and the bottom of the round shiny part that goes into the engine has a slight fingernail indention. *not sure if i caused this or it was done prior to me picking it up.

-------PART TWO OF PROBLEM ONE-------------------------------
I have two leaks sence changing both tranny and oil fluids and have separate questions for each. Both leaks are happening without the motor being able to run.

1. the first leak is coming from the bottom of the seal of the plastic coverplate behind the wheels and belts, it looks like tranny fluid and the seal doesnt appear to be a fluid retaining seal.

Q: Where is the tranny fluid coming from and how do I fix it?

2. The second leak is coming from the valve cover on the passengers side and its definately oil.

Q: How hard is it to replace the valve cover gasket and will I require any special tools other than a regular socket set with the elbow addapter?

I would greatly appriciate any input or requested questions about these matters.

I am very excited about this car!!!!