Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-29-2007, 03:04 PM

Rebuild ABS unit?

Sent the car into subaru today to have it checked out. I was having issues with the ABS unit (previous post). They tell me it needs to be replaced and that will run $1600. I had to bite my lip to keep from laughing but went on to talk to the tech about how to disengage the ABS for now. He said you can't but I digress.

Is there a kit for rebuilding the ABS unit? Other's have talked about replacing the relays but I am wondering about a full rebuild. What happens currently is that when the brakes are depressed it shakes the front end, steering wheel, pushes back on the pedal and makes a low growling noise. Subaru said that the ABS unit thinks that the car is continuously in a slide and is reacting to that.

Ideas out there?

Eric
Old 11-29-2007, 03:06 PM
OOC for a while

Send a message via AIM to 94SubieSVX
You can always buy a whole unit from a parts car and see if that works. I'm sure it'll be a whole lot cheaper than the $1600 unit your dealer is trying to sell you.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:21 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Did you read the codes from the ABS computer? I think there are instructions in the "How-To" documents up top ^^^
Old 11-29-2007, 03:23 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
If it turns out that you need one, I have a used pump you can buy for a bit less than $1600...
Old 11-29-2007, 03:51 PM

Thanks for responding.

I did not check the codes. I'll ask when I pick the car up tomorrow. I have to admit that even if I did have the codes I can't read the sheet on the How To page (too small) and if I zoom it then it gets all blurry

I'll know next week which car I am going to keep. This one or the other svx.
So...next week I'll know if I need a different ABS unit

I am thinking (for now as I hate the shaking, growling, and pedal press back) that I might pull the fuse for the ABS and see if that helps (short term fix). I will fix it.

The dealership had me laughing as they also mentioned that I needed a new right cam seal ($560), new power steering line ($472) and a new transmission line ($95.50 (go figure this price)) These are simple fixes and would cost a whole lot less if they didn't use book hours as opposed to actual hours. Just a Sunday afternoon of work for me in my in-laws shop.

Eric
Old 11-30-2007, 12:33 AM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
I don't know if this applies to our ABS units, or just the new ones, but the electronics are available separate from the valve body through GM, (The company that makes them, sells them as 2 separate pieces to GM, but only as a complete unit to Subaru) but I don't know any part numbers or anything
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 11-30-2007, 12:43 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
The Power of EBAY!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-97...spagenameZWDVW

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:56 AM

Have you had the axles out lately or wheel bearing replaced. Are you getting a error message. The reason I ask is I think I would check a couple of simple things first before I touched the unit. My unit has had the hell flogged out of it and it still works. What you describe is caused some times by the wrong clearance between the sensor at the wheel hub unit. What is happing is the unit thinks the wheel has stopped spinning and takes over control. When I am in mud and apply the brakes the peddle fires back at me the same as you discribe.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:01 AM

I found out that the right rear wheel bearing was replaced. I also found out they pounded the H&ll out of the axle to get it out (rusted). Mechanic my father-in-law uses (also, <sorry different topic> that he didn't replace the seals with the bearing! I know the guy and it really doesn't surprise me).

I'm thinking that they might have damaged the wheel sensor. After hearing all about how they did the rear bearing I'm sure that this is the problem. I'm putting it up on the lift this weekend to get a good look at the undercarrage.

I really do appreciate all the help that has been provided!

Eric
Old 11-30-2007, 11:27 AM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
It definately sounds like it's not reading one or more of the wheel sensors. Especially if the ABS light isn't on. If you can easily get to them I'd look at the tone wheels on the rear axles. My money is on them having broken one hammering on the axles.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:56 AM

you need to check the clearance from the tip of the sensor and the hub at they are normally shimied to get the right clearance, good luck.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:09 PM

Thanks for all the assistance.

What is the clearance between the sensor and hub?

Eric