SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-28-2002, 09:44 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Question Rt. 17 - Canadian, Eh?

As some of you know, as much as I loved the 100 degree Hoosier heat, I decided to return home via Canada since I had the week off & wanted to breathe some cool, clean air in the process. I'd never been to Canada before. After having my suitcase violated by a cutie border guardess, who saw my box'o, but didn't recognize it as booze, I was allowed in at Sault (Soo) St, Marie. There are two Saults (Soos). One in Michigan & one in Ontario. There must have been a war over this naming, but obviously there was no clear winner. Well, looking at my 1999 Rand McNally, I see a nice red line called Rt. 17, the ONLY red line actually, from east to west. So I figure this is where I can let it really hang out. I pictured 4 lanes of wide open driving. I mean this has GOT to be Montana without all the silly traffic restrictions, ha-ha-ha.
So, after passing through the Canadian Soo, I saw open road. Speed limit 70 whoo-hoo. Oh... that's 70 Kilometers p/hour. Hmmm... that's 42 mph. The next sign read 90 KPH & the last one read 100 KPH (62 whoppin' mph). Yeah, OK I can live with this idiocy, & I'll bet those wild & crazy boozed up hockey nuts probably ignore the limits worse than we ugly Americans do. WRONG! I mean I dared to set the control at 110 KPH (almost 70 MPH) & I was passing everything! Well, then, there must be steeley-eyed Mounties lurking behind the wheels of souped-up Lincoln Excursions at every hidden bolder, just waiting to open up the roof mounted Gatling gun upon stupid Yanks who dare to endanger the beaver population. WRONG! I didn't see one Canadian Polizei cruiser in two days of driving. Rarer than SVXes! So - with a wimpy speed limit, but no enforcement visible, I should have been able to average 130 KPH. WRONG! This nice red line must have been imported from France. Two lanes - then 3 lanes (passing allowed every 10 miles or so) then two lanes, then.... ROAD CONSTRUCTION next 27.5 KM. OK, I guess they're resurfacing a lane, but traffic was light, so there shouldn't be any real delay. WRONG! I see in the distance a human form holding one of those STOP/SLOW signs, in the STOP position. I stop. I see before me another sign - ONE LANE. I then notice the one most terrifying thing that can happen to an SVX owner, especially of one that's just been painted. GRAVEL!!! BOTH LANES!!! Along comes the convoy from the opposite direction spewing dust & road sleaze. Then we go. The speed limit was 60 KPH (35MPH) & this was too fast! Washboard road, both lanes & I pass a single road grader that's actually doing some grading. Other construction machines are randomly parked here & there with no activity. This is a weekday afternoon!! When is this project due to be completed, 2015?? This is THE MAIN route between Winnipeg & Ottawa. OK, my good Canadian SVX buddies, can you explain what's happnin' here? After I got off this cowpath, at Espanola & drove south, the roads were fine.
When I got into Toronto onto Rt. 401, I felt right at home. Eight lanes of maniacs doing about 90 MPH. I noticed NO speed limit posted for over 20 miles, until after I got outside of Toronto. There was a small white sign that read 100 KPH. (62 MPH). Time to visit Tim Horton. I got to know Tim well. I still haven't buried the needle!

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 07-28-2002, 10:43 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Ron,

Welcome to the great white north, where there are four seasons: Winter, Road Construction, Winter, and Winter.

You see, no one really lives up that far north around Soo, except for the beavers and the moose, so 1 lane in each direction is plenty for that population.

As for the RCMP's, they're usually at Tim's. Except for this past week of course, when they were all down here in Toronto making sure da Pope doesn't croak on our soil.

The speed limit signs? They're there... Not obvious, but they're always lurking there just after every onramp. 62 measly miles an hour is all we get to do in this neck of the woods legally. But in Toronto, on the 4-Oh-1, if you tried doing 62 mph, you'd become roadkill.

There ARE roads around here that you can really open the car up, but you'd just have to find it...

As for Tim, EVERYONE knows Tim well here. As a useless bit of trivia, we have a donut shop in Canada for every 9,000 Canadians. We like our coffee and donuts, thankyouverymuch. Which is what I found odd driving thru the States, that I can't find a decent cup of coffee unless I'm in the BIG city. 7-11 just doesn't cut it when it comes to coffee.

VK
Eh!
Old 07-29-2002, 01:15 AM
Who watches the watchmen?

Ron,
Thanks for visiting The Great White North. When driving anywhere in Canada other than the 401 or the QEW, it is best to drive slow. Ever hit a moose while going 140kph (90mph)? Best not to think about it.

vkykam,
If you ever get bored waiting a stoplight, check out the driver of any grey Luminas beside you. If the guy looks like the guy in the newspaper article, call the cops (or go kick his ass). Those scumbags broke into my brother's car. Check out the police website link in the article for more pics. What they don't mention is that they broke into 15 other cars in the area before my Dad caught them on camera.

Cheers,
Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newspaper_clipping.jpg (194.5 KB, 63 views)
Old 07-29-2002, 07:57 AM
The Road Less Traveled

Matt,

That royally sucks. I hope they get caught.

As for the moose at 90mph, I've never been there, but I'd rather chance it crashing into a tree or brick wall than a moose at that speed. Legs get lifted, body flies into the windshield, and well, buh-bye everyone and everything involved.

VK
Old 07-29-2002, 09:02 AM
Green1995SVX

I introduced some SVXers to the wonders of Tim Horton on the way home from the meet. "What's Mike doing?!?!" "I dont know, he said something about donuts, then swerved into the exit lane!"

-Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1010118.jpg (55.2 KB, 75 views)
Old 07-29-2002, 10:15 AM
The Road Less Traveled

Mike,

Thanks for the pic. Now I'll have a craving for that iced-cap ALL afternoon...

VK