IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-29-2001, 11:05 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Question Squeak, tick, rattle, tick, squeak... -=[long]=-

Ok Guys -- and girls,

I need some opinion on some of the troubles I am having with my SVX. Most of the time, I can find out where the trouble is but with the cold weather and me being busy and just being a lazy bum, I would rather get an easy answer -- from those of you that have done these.

1. In the cold, when I start up the car, and I switch on my left/right turn signals, there is no blinking light until I keep switching it off and on for a while or the car warms up.

2. My engine seems to be leaking engine oil of some sort. where do I start checking?

3. My powersteering fluid also seems to be leaking. Where do I start checking.

4. I have a feeling they are from the wrapped front rotors--- when I am braking, around 50-60 mph, my steering wheel vibrates like crazy.

5. Most likely this is from leaking powersteering fluid... when I turn my car at slow speed, the car squeal like I just run over a raccoon (not really but it squeal anyway).

6. My pass. side window does not go down. I was told by the dealer that there is a plastic part which could be broken. Anyone heard of that before?

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 10-30-2001, 04:36 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Where do you see the engine oil? On the engine or does the dip stick say you are low?

P/S leaks could be the hoses. They may be old and need replacing. The o-ring reservoir fix quieted down the pump on my car. Leaking hoses or the o-ring can suck air and when it gets in the pump it makes noise.

Turn down the brake rotors they do sound warped.
Old 10-30-2001, 08:41 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Re: #6. Yes, there is a little plastic clip that grabs the cable that makes the window go up and down. They are prone to failure. I just recently had to have the driver's window repaired. The clip cost $14 and some odd cents, and the labor ran about $75 or so. If you know how to remove the door panel, you could doubtless do the job yourself. Does the motor still run? I bought an extra clip, and I'll post the part number if you wish.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 10-30-2001, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by svxter
Re: #6. Yes, there is a little plastic clip that grabs the cable that makes the window go up and down. They are prone to failure. I just recently had to have the driver's window repaired. The clip cost $14 and some odd cents, and the labor ran about $75 or so. If you know how to remove the door panel, you could doubtless do the job yourself. Does the motor still run? I bought an extra clip, and I'll post the part number if you wish.
The motor still runs. I was told by the dealer that they just don't sell the clip by itself and the whole assy costs 99 bucks (minus regular 10-15% discount.)

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Old 10-30-2001, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
Where do you see the engine oil? On the engine or does the dip stick say you are low?

P/S leaks could be the hoses. They may be old and need replacing. The o-ring reservoir fix quieted down the pump on my car. Leaking hoses or the o-ring can suck air and when it gets in the pump it makes noise.

Turn down the brake rotors they do sound warped.
The dip stick does say it's low. I also see smoke like crazy when I drive the car and it's making my passenger nuts. When I initially fill it up, i's full but by the time I've done 4000 miles, and next oil change, the thing is low.

Lwin
Old 10-30-2001, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim

The motor still runs. I was told by the dealer that they just don't sell the clip by itself and the whole assy costs 99 bucks (minus regular 10-15% discount.)

Lwin
Oh, B.S. I just bought two - one for repair, one for spare. Maybe your dealer "just doesn't sell the clip by itself", but others do. I'll post the part number later, so you can try subaruparts.com or some other source. No need to drop $90 for a 15$ part.

If the motor wasn't running, you might have to buy a whole assembly. But since the motor still runs, I'll bet it's just the clip. That sounds identical to my experience. Motor ran, window didn't move. That's not to say there couldn't be other problems, but I strongly suspect not.

Have you taken the door panel off and looked inside?

Old 10-30-2001, 11:28 AM

Window Clip Part #

Lwin -

Here's the part number for the clip - 62101PA081

It's labelled as a "Sleev Lock Reg". And no, I didn't misspell sleeve. That is what is on the bag. I paid 14.28, plus tax.

Old 10-30-2001, 11:42 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Window Clip Part #

Quote:
Lwin -

Here's the part number for the clip - 62101PA081

It's labelled as a "Sleev Lock Reg". And no, I didn't misspell sleeve. That is what is on the bag. I paid 14.28, plus tax.
That's great news, Bill. I've known several members in the past couple of years who've been through the same thing, "No, you have to buy the entire assembly. We don't sell JUST the clip." This'll save some people big bucks. Too bad it's a little too late for Steve Wasion, though (He paid over 200 bucks at the Dealership that tried to sell me a 4,600.00 tranny)
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-30-2001, 02:21 PM

Re: Re: Window Clip Part #

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

That's great news, Bill. I've known several members in the past couple of years who've been through the same thing, "No, you have to buy the entire assembly. We don't sell JUST the clip." This'll save some people big bucks. Too bad it's a little too late for Steve Wasion, though (He paid over 200 bucks at the Dealership that tried to sell me a 4,600.00 tranny)
I looked at subaruparts.com. They sell them for 10.71, but they want 6.95 to ship

Re: We don't sell just the clip. Can you say gouge?

Old 10-30-2001, 05:52 PM

Re: Re: Re: Window Clip Part #

Quote:

I looked at subaruparts.com. They sell them for 10.71, but they want 6.95 to ship

Re: We don't sell just the clip. Can you say gouge?
I called my dealer again with the part number. He got it for 12.99 and it will be there on Friday. I will pick it up and install over the weekend.

Thanks

Lwin
Old 10-30-2001, 08:03 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:

The dip stick does say it's low. I also see smoke like crazy when I drive the car and it's making my passenger nuts. When I initially fill it up, i's full but by the time I've done 4000 miles, and next oil change, the thing is low.

Lwin
Do you see oil coming out of the timing belt cover? This could be from the front oil seal in the oil pump housing. There was a recent thread on this topic.
Old 10-31-2001, 08:00 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Squeak, tick, rattle, tick, squeak... -=[long]=-

Quote:
Ok Guys -- and girls,

I need some opinion on some of the troubles I am having with my SVX. Most of the time, I can find out where the trouble is but with the cold weather and me being busy and just being a lazy bum, I would rather get an easy answer -- from those of you that have done these.

1. In the cold, when I start up the car, and I switch on my left/right turn signals, there is no blinking light until I keep switching it off and on for a while or the car warms up.

2. My engine seems to be leaking engine oil of some sort. where do I start checking?

3. My powersteering fluid also seems to be leaking. Where do I start checking.

4. I have a feeling they are from the wrapped front rotors--- when I am braking, around 50-60 mph, my steering wheel vibrates like crazy.

5. Most likely this is from leaking powersteering fluid... when I turn my car at slow speed, the car squeal like I just run over a raccoon (not really but it squeal anyway).

6. My pass. side window does not go down. I was told by the dealer that there is a plastic part which could be broken. Anyone heard of that before?

Lwin
I didn't read anyone else's reply, so I'm sorry if I contradict or repeat.

1. No idea.

2. Mine leaks a little bit (a VERY little bit) from the front crank seal. It became noticable when I switched to synthetic oil. If that's where it's coming from, and you need a new timing belt anyway, have the shop replace the front seal with the belt and it'll only add $20-$30.

3. Check the rack. That'd be the worst place. There are boots on either side of the rack that look like those on the CV joints.

4. Sounds like warped rotors to me. I would recommend replacing them outright and not turning them. Having them turned just makes them even thinner and even more prone to warping again. If you don't want to eat the price of Subaru rotors, Raybestos makes a cheaper rotor. And I do mean cheaper. I am unhappy with mine. OTOH, subaruparts.com sells stock rotors for almost the same price as the Raybestos parts.

5. There is an o-ring in between the power steering pump and reservoir. When it gets compressed and no longer provides as good seal, it can suck air in, bogging the pump down and making it drag on the pulley. That's what causes your squealing. Is PS fluid leaking from there? Possibly.

6. No idea.

Good luck.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-01-2001, 02:00 PM
Lowered SVX

thanks for the power steering o-ring info.

mine is doing something similar as far as whining is concerned. plus i have an oil leak coming from some gasket....probably timing belt if i had to guess. plus my reverse lights dont work anymore. anyway i am getting all of my stuff fixed this coming week. i swear seraphim our cars are twins.....we had to be on the assembly line together. post your vin#
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"