Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2004, 03:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
Sounds good if you come up with any ideas let me know
Old 10-29-2004, 03:48 PM
Peach

ah ha

If your bell housing will separate from the tranny itself, your set. I have owned numerous subies but all were automatics, so I don't know about the manuals...but on all other manual 4 or 5 speeds I've had chevy, ford, some jap...the bell housing always separated from the main gearbox with 4 or so bolts. If this is the case simply bolt on the bell housing to the engine block, forget the tranny, install the starter as usual and then start. I really hope this is the case for you, and it will really help isolate the problem.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:57 PM

BEAUTIFUL...I will try that now...Luckily I still have the auto sitting here right next to the car as well. So hopefully one of them is able to be seprated...Ill let you know what the out come is...Thanks again for the help...
Old 10-29-2004, 04:00 PM
Peach

You might just win this one... good luck
Old 10-29-2004, 04:04 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Unfortunately, the bellhousings do not come off either of those trannys. However, you could remove the flywheel and bolt up the tranny without the TO bearing or TO bearing fork. The tranny input shaft would not be touching anything, so the tranny would not be spinning.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:04 PM

well hopefully something will work out right for me with this car...It appears as if the manual tranny is two pieces, but it splits down the middle so the bellhousing wont come off, however the auto looks like i might be able to get it off. I will have to wait till tomorrow though as the auto is under a table pinned against the wall by the x. Hopefully i will be able to take it off and figure out once and for all tomorrow where this sound is coming from. If it was a thrust bearing or whatever the bearing in question is, would it still make the noise with nothing attached???Thanks again for the help everyone without this board I and many other people would be totally in the dark when it comes to fixing their cars. I truly appreciate the help...
Old 10-29-2004, 04:07 PM

Well...Then tomorrow i will install the tranny with nothing attached to the engine. I guess if thats what i got to do then thats what is gonna happen. If any of you have a sec over the next couple of days if you wouldnt mind just grabbing the top left of the crank pulley and seeing if you have any play there or not that would really be awesome. Thanks again
Old 11-01-2004, 04:21 AM

ok well i thought i had posted before this but apparently i had not. With just the flywheel attached there is no noise whatsoever coming from the engine or tranny. I did notice however that both times the tranny was mounted the pitching stopper aligned perfectly versus when i had the pressure plate and clutch and TOB I had to push the engine forward to get the pitch stopper to line up with the hole. Is it possible that maybe i have the incorrect input shaft or something along those lines???ANy and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again...
Old 11-01-2004, 08:17 AM
sans SVX

The input shaft only makes contact with the pilot bearing and the clutch disk. Since you have the flywheel installed the pilot bearing is apparently not the issue. So, have you tried test fitting the clutch disk on the input shaft?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:46 AM

hmm...nope haven't tried that yet...Ill pull the tranny back down and put the clutch and pressure plate on the input shaft and see if everything lines up right...
Old 11-01-2004, 01:40 PM

This is unbelievable..I put the clutch disk on and it just slides right around on the input shaft. So i measured the diameters and the one on the tranny was equal to the tool they gave me and then i measured the inside diameter of the clutch and it was just over an inch and the inside diameter of the stock clutch is just under an inch. Then i put the tool into the stock clutch and it fit nice and tight, when its put into the new clutch there is play. I think they just gave me the wrong clutch...What do you all think???
Old 11-01-2004, 03:31 PM

Well i just got back from subaru and they ended up giving me an STI clutch kit for no cost. It was very apparent once the two disc's were side by side that the circumfrence was way to large...Well im off to put the tranny and clutch back in for the last time hopefully and get this bad boy running again...
Old 11-01-2004, 05:16 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
thats awsome. now didn't we tell u to make sure it was the right clutch???? i knew it was something random and silly. well good thing and have fun when ur done.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:49 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by want-a-fast-svx
This is unbelievable..I put the clutch disk on and it just slides right around on the input shaft. So i measured the diameters and the one on the tranny was equal to the tool they gave me and then i measured the inside diameter of the clutch and it was just over an inch and the inside diameter of the stock clutch is just under an inch. Then i put the tool into the stock clutch and it fit nice and tight, when its put into the new clutch there is play. I think they just gave me the wrong clutch...What do you all think???
Wow. So you are saying that the splines on the clutch disk had a greater circumference than the splines on the input shaft? So what clutch disk did they accidentally give you?

Visit my locker

Old 11-01-2004, 11:33 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
it was an sti clutch i believe he said