Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Supercharged Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 03:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to Duckie
With regards to the fuel pump, I do indeed plan on running more boost on a built engine so I would appreciate the pump *grins* Muahaha teh SVX must be teh fastar!!!!ichi11!
Old 08-04-2005, 04:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
I was also planning a phased type of build up in the future. But considering the discount I'm getting I wont be picky about it as long as you promise to be available for a fuel map adjustment when Im ready.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:56 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
I decided to start doing the shop work at night to avoid the worst of the hot spell. I stopped at target on the way out to the shop to get a stool to set in front of the welding bench (i welded up a welding bench and the stand for our tool grinder the day before yesterday and got them bolted down yesterday). That's as far as the Subaru gods wanted to let me get tonight. My starter died as dead as door nail in the parking lot and I had to get towed home. I was going to weld in the bottoms of the manifolds tonight but instead I get to replace my starter tomorrow.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:11 PM
Just some dude.

No welding till Monday. I forgot to switch out of direct electrode positive after putting the ball on my electrode and cracked the gas nozzle on our gataw welder. I don't have any extras so I'll have to go buy some on Monday. I cut the side openings in the formed manifold pieces and they are ready to weld.

I also ground the tool to cut the v's in the pulleys on the lathe. Standard v grooving tools are a 60 degree v. K section v rib belts use a 40 degree v so you have to either grind a custom tool or cut in two shallower half v's and then a groove down the middle. I don't want to make 3 passes for each groove so a custom tool it is.

Old 08-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Just some dude.

Unfortunately I haven't been getting any work done at the shop thanks to my own svx misseries. I got back to working on stage 3 fabrication tonight. I remade the discharge flanges. I must have done crack or something when i made the template the first go around. This set is right.

Old 08-13-2005, 08:14 PM
Just some dude.

I spent today doing some maintenance work around the shop. Next week should be a big week for stage 3 fabrication. I got a note today saying there are a couple ups packages waiting for me at the office. One of which I am confident is the backplates for chucks I'll be using on our lathe when I cut the pulleys. This means I'll be able to set up our precision 6 jaw chuck which I want to use to machine the smaller diameter pulleys. I'll get some new gas shields for the tig torch on monday so I'll be able to weld up the bottoms of the manifolds and and the discharge flanges.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:58 PM

I am new with the SVX group.

I have a Q. after reading all 200+ post's I did not see if you have 1 more to sell or not??Can you shoot me a price if you have 1?
Thank You
grbii
Old 08-13-2005, 11:34 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grbii
I am new with the SVX group.

I have a Q. after reading all 200+ post's I did not see if you have 1 more to sell or not??Can you shoot me a price if you have 1?
Thank You
grbii

Yes, we have 1 more. it's $6250
Old 08-15-2005, 01:59 AM
Just some dude.

I know most people never get to see a lathe operate more or less how one is set up so I thought some of you might be interested in seeing me set up the precision 6 jaw chuck.

A metal lathe is used for turning bar stock which is usually round but can also be square, hexoganal, or rectangular. An "independent" chuck where you adjust each of 4 jaws seperately is used for rectangular stock and it's a real pita which thankfully most people don't have to deal with. Symetrical stock is most easily clamped using a chuck where all the jaws operate together. Chucks of this type migh be called a scroll chuck, self centering chuck, or universal chuck. The photos tonight are of the process of me replacing the pos 3 jaw universal chuck that came on our lathe with a precision 6 jaw chuck. The goal is to get high levels of concentricity. Concentricity means that the axis of rotation of the chuck and any stock clamped in it is dead center. This is particularly important for when we are working on long pieces of stock. The further away you get from the lathe head the worse the effects of poor concentricity.

Ok, so here is the pos chuck that came on the lathe. It's attached to a back plate which is threaded to the lathe spindle.

Here I've taken off the chuck so that I can measure the diameter of the spindle. The new backplate is already threaded but we need to cut out a recess to precisely match this flange with a light press on fit.

Here i am use the dead center in the tailstock to line up the tool I will be using to the height of the axis of rotation of the lathe.

Here i have put the old chuck back on and used it to clamp the new back plate. The particular chuck we are setting up today only clamps from the outside and wouldn't work for us in this situation but we will be setting up a second chuck which does this later. Now we are ready to turn the inside of the back plate to match the spindle it will screw onto.

Here the inside of the back plate is turned to the propper diameter to match the spindle. The calipers were locked into the measurement of the spindle using the outside jaws and now the inside of jaws are a press fit into the back plate.

Here is the back plate screwed onto the spindle for a test fit. We have to take it back off to do a bunch of drilling and some taping before we can continue on the lathe.

After doing the drilling and taping I screwed the back plate back onto the spindle and faced the whole thing and then cut a recess along the outer edge. The chuck body is a press fit onto this face. Because it was cut on the lathe the mating surfaces are exactly perpindicular and parallel and concentric with the axis of rotation.

Here I've taken it back off of the spindle to install the chuck onto the backplate. The mounting bolts which attach the chuck to the backplate are also a loose press fit but that's not really necessary--just showing off.

Here is the new chuck mounted on it's perfectly set up back plate next to the old chuck on it's supposedly ready made back plate. You'll notice that instead of having jaws wich can clamp on their outside as well that the new chuck has very long jaws. These jaws will quickly clamp anything i throw in them dead center without my paying the slightest attention to it.

Here's the new chuck installed back onto the lathe and clamping a piece of one inch round. I gave it a whirl and it is in fact dead on concentric all the way out to the end of the bar, 6 inches of which is actually inside of the chuck. In the old chuck working the end of a 20" long piece of 1" round wouldn't have even been doable.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:35 PM
Just some dude.

I did some gtaw today to start warming up before welding on the manifolds. I did some corner welds which came out pretty decent and I cut the ends off to examine the insides of the welds. They look good so I'm going to move on and do some but welds tomorrow to continue refining my skills before I jump into the manifolds.

Old 08-17-2005, 06:49 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Michael,
Like butter! You're just having too much fun!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 08-18-2005, 12:51 AM
Just some dude.

I practiced butt welds today and they came out pretty decent. On the top I'll use a smaller diameter filler rod to make them prettier. The extra filler is both to dilute the 6061 and to bridge gaps I'll be dealing with on the undersides.

Old 08-25-2005, 09:58 AM

Gee, I just realized it has been offically over year now since they got my check. The first post in the development thread was 9-15-2004. 1 year and 10 days ago.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:22 AM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg
Gee, I just realized it has been offically over year now since they got my check. The first post in the development thread was 9-15-2004. 1 year and 10 days ago.

Yes, you've certainly been waiting patiently. I think the improvements in the production run will be worth the extra wait.

Expect a progress report tomorrow night. I'm doing office work today.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:25 PM

What happened to the update?