Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-29-2007, 11:15 PM

svx sounds diesel

when i listen under the car near the belts and oil pan there is a loud knocking and it almost sounds like its diesel.... is this normal??
Old 10-30-2007, 05:20 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

No its not normal.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:50 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: svx sounds diesel

yes i know, an old thread bump....

i was looking to see if anyone else had a svx that sounded like a diesel when it was running. keep in mind this is my first svx but not my first boxer engine (H4 or H6) so i know what they typically sound like. comparing it to the videos on youtube i cant what is causing mine to sound as loud as it does.

here are some of the ones i found to compare

Idle video 1

idle video 2

i plan on taking a video of mine and posting it up here
Old 04-20-2013, 01:05 PM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Mine sounds a little dieslish now. Mainly due to neglect, hope it will be creamy smooth again when the engine is pulled and overhauled.
I'm ready to f...
Old 04-20-2013, 02:28 PM
11.24:1 E85

the loud deep thumping is rod bearings that are quite worn from neglect slamming about...
Old 04-20-2013, 05:08 PM

Registered SVX

I agree with Jake that its rod bearings but I also think its an oiling problem because my car only does it sometimes.
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:23 AM

Registered SVX

PO used mobile one synthetic 5w-30 and I followed with that since ive had the car. i dont recall a difference in the loudness after any changes however
Old 04-21-2013, 05:19 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

The harmonic balancer will make a loud knocking sound if it is not tight.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:13 PM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

I personally don't have anything I would call a rocking sound. Just a bit farm machinery like when I start up.
I'm ready to f...
Old 04-26-2013, 12:42 PM

Registered SVX

As promised, albeit a little late, the a video clip of my sound.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:48 PM

Registered SVX

wow, that is much different than i imagined. Im torn though because something on that engine is messed up but at the same time diesel rumble is kinda cool.

Pull the timing covers, i wonder if theres a pulley in there thats going bad and rubbing something.
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:12 PM

Registered SVX

i would take a nice purr over that noise. the driver side timing cover is already somewhat cracked at the screw so who knows what it looks like back there.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:27 PM

Registered SVX

I just tried to listen very carefully mine. With an engineers stethoscope and w/o. Then did the same for the 2006 3.0R Outback. What a difference.

The 3.0R is silky smooth - there's not much anything but a constant whizz even with the stethoscope.... by far the loudest part is the power steering pump.

The EG33 sounds "harsh", not "wrong" to the ear - I can hear the individual injectors tick and some general rumble. With the stethoscope there's a whole cacophony of mechanical clicketi-clack... slight in the head castings, some more from the block... by far the loudest at the cylinder #6 (drivers side, rear) - right where the piston/cylinder is - a bit less at the block split joint. Very, very different from the EZ30R.

I need to replace my head gaskets and I am trying to decide whether to do the rod bearings while engine is out. Removing the pistons is a PITA and splitting the casings does expand the project quite a bit. 130kmiles, 5PSI turbo charged.

I have ever heard only one other SVX engine running and it did appear to run smoother on idle. Didn't pay much attention, though.

theflystyle: There are two different type sounds in yours... like a diesel injector/combustion sound - and then a single much lower knock - big end, burned valve?

Did you have your AC compressor running in the video?

Hmmm.....

Tapani

Last edited by Tapani; 04-30-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:17 PM

Registered SVX

^ I fully agree with your comparison to the 3.0R. Night and day difference, sometimes I cant even tell its running at idle.

I did not have the AC running in the video, and that was after a 30 minute drive so the car was nice and warm. I am still getting some small drips of oil even after changing the valve covers. The headgasket was also recently changed and is not dripping as well. Its coming from further back
Old 04-25-2019, 03:55 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflystyle View Post
^ I fully agree with your comparison to the 3.0R. Night and day difference, sometimes I cant even tell its running at idle.

I did not have the AC running in the video, and that was after a 30 minute drive so the car was nice and warm. I am still getting some small drips of oil even after changing the valve covers. The headgasket was also recently changed and is not dripping as well. Its coming from further back
Mine sounds like that too after the headgaskets job. What did it turn out to be?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything