Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension

Old 03-14-2010, 10:16 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Re: new coilover opportunity (March, 2010)

Double post...

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:39 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

You might want to post this somewhere it will get more attention than buried in a sub forum of mod mania... If I can get a set that would have in the ballpark of 600lb springs I will be in 100%...
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 03-19-2010, 01:44 PM

Mychailo well hi long time no hear,
I would like to put in my 2 bob worth. As you guys may be aware I have DMS struts which are great but can be a pain. They have bushes and a reverse tube so it is impossiable to stop the strut jaming after a period of time. They are also adjustiable in both direction, but the minium is still pretty hards so on a road car you nearly lose your teeth driving it. Next point due to these and other factors they have to be pulled down every 50,000 k to rebuild, that means I have had mine out about 5 times since installing them.

Based on the above I thing these look good, I would like to know what brad damper etc also is it like the Koni with a shaft at the top or is it like the DMS with a tube.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:16 AM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
You might want to post this somewhere it will get more attention than buried in a sub forum of mod mania... If I can get a set that would have in the ballpark of 600lb springs I will be in 100%...
Yeah, I thought about posting in the General forum but didn't want to potentially annoy anyone with the appearance of crossposting. I think I'll post a link in that forum to this thread. AMR said that anything from 275 lbs/in to 1250 lbs/in is available. They use HyperCo springs which are among the highest quality. (I researched HyperCo when looking at spring options for my Koni/GC build.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post

Based on the above I thing these look good, I would like to know what brad damper etc also is it like the Koni with a shaft at the top or is it like the DMS with a tube.
Tony
Hi Tony,

Good to see you are still in the SVX game and sorry I didn't back to you last summer. Life is pretty busy these days. Anyhow, these are a monotube damper, not inverted, so the shaft is above. The product is designed and built entirely in-house at AMR. Are you considering putting a set in your offroad SVX? If yes, I think you'd need a custom offroad design.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:05 AM

Mychailo,
Yes I am trying to find a better strut, The DMS are tough but for me they have two faults they work in the up and down direction which tends to give a rough ride on dirt at speed & fact you can't fit boots over the top of the strut tube means it builds up with mud as stops moving up and down.
You may be right about needing a tougher one. I will know soon but I think I even bent one of the Dms which show what punishment they get.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:33 AM
Nürburgring Warrior!

Registered SVX

Hmmm this is a tough one.. even at the lowest spring rate (275lb) we are still higher than most aftermarket "sport" springs for Evo's! I loved my Evo but I cant say I want my SVX to ride as firm. If only we could get that spring rate down a bit more.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonestock View Post
Hmmm this is a tough one.. even at the lowest spring rate (275lb) we are still higher than most aftermarket "sport" springs for Evo's! I loved my Evo but I cant say I want my SVX to ride as firm. If only we could get that spring rate down a bit more.
I actually drove Old Tom's claret while I was on my trip and even going over all the bumpy roads around his place, I thought that his setup was not too firm or not streetable at all. His rates were 400 in front and 300 in the rear if I recall correctly. It still had a smooth ride and felt great. I don't get why everyone on here complains about the harshness of lower rates than that even.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:36 AM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonestock View Post
The front spring rates are most comparable between the SVX and Evo because both have a MacPherson strut design. Stock Evo is about 200 lbs/in (measured it myself), while the GTWORX springs are 290 lbs/in in the front, the Swift Sport springs settle at about 270 lbs/in in the front, and the Swift Spec R front spring settles at more than 300 lbs/in. So, the lightest available rate for the SVX coilover is comparable to the rate of the better sport strut springs for the Evo (and way lower than all standard coilover spring rates for the Evo). I'm sure you know that there are other contributing factors, namely the damper response. Anyhow, these are definitely a sport oriented coilover.

Visit my locker

Old 03-27-2010, 04:20 PM
Nürburgring Warrior!

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko View Post
The front spring rates are most comparable between the SVX and Evo because both have a MacPherson strut design. Stock Evo is about 200 lbs/in (measured it myself), while the GTWORX springs are 290 lbs/in in the front, the Swift Sport springs settle at about 270 lbs/in in the front, and the Swift Spec R front spring settles at more than 300 lbs/in. So, the lightest available rate for the SVX coilover is comparable to the rate of the better sport strut springs for the Evo (and way lower than all standard coilover spring rates for the Evo). I'm sure you know that there are other contributing factors, namely the damper response. Anyhow, these are definitely a sport oriented coilover.

Thanks for a good response. Those seem to be in short supply on this forum. I actually ran the Swift Sport springs on my Nur spec Evo VIII. We lived in England back then and I thought those made it a bit too skittish on those bumpy British "B" roads. Granted we have, for the most part, better roads here. I understand we are dealing with about 600lb of more mass & a totally different intended purpose with the SVX. What are the stock spring rates for the SVX?
I'm not trying to waste your time but put the pieces together to decide if this is a worthwhile pursuit for me.

BTW I used the same username on EvoM but add an ! on the end. My 2005 GSR made 350whp/330lbft at 21psi on a stock VIII turbo with the basics, FMIC & chargepipes, TBE, Intake, tune and....Oh yeah 272 cams running -4/-1. Damn I should have never sold that car. I think I still hold the record at Mase Engineering (dyno dynamics dyno) for the highest WHP on a stock turbo VIII w/o any power adders. But then when I sold it gas was hitting $4.50 a gallon! Add in 180 miles to the tank... you get the picture. LOL But then I am sure with your numbers this isn't anything new to you.

Last edited by Bonestock; 03-27-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
Mychailo,
Yes I am trying to find a better strut, The DMS are tough but for me they have two faults they work in the up and down direction which tends to give a rough ride on dirt at speed & fact you can't fit boots over the top of the strut tube means it builds up with mud as stops moving up and down.
You may be right about needing a tougher one. I will know soon but I think I even bent one of the Dms which show what punishment they get.
Tony
Hey Tony,
I am getting a a set of Tein made up - will keep you in the loop if you are interested. These are able to be serviced/ revalved locally - they have a set of complete struts I sent them and are coming back with a couple of options - our struts using inserts, coil over set up with height &/or dampener adjust or complete new setup.
I've been slow on chasing this up till now due to my engine problems - now fixed

bruce
Old 03-27-2010, 04:56 PM
sans SVX

Its not quite a fair comparison to look at how a stock Evo damper is going to handle a spring that is 35% stiffer than stock especially because the stock Evo KYB strut is not such a great strut.

Anyhow, the stock SVX spring rates are 140 lbs/in in the front and 110 lbs/in in the rear. They are amazingly soft. I think the only reason the SVX doesn't bottom out on every bump is because it has so much wheel travel. Considering that the SVX weighs ~400 lbs more than an Evo, a 275 lb/in spring isn't so heavy, and a proper rebound setting should make them ride on the firm side but cleanly.

350 whp with mild mods is definitely good on a DD dyno.

Visit my locker

Old 03-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

I ride in a couple cars that are coilover equipped on a regular basis. One is a 240SX running Stance suspension with 450 front/350 rear spring rates. The other is a Prelude running Tein Super Streets with 450 front/225 rear. I don't find either to be unpleasant to drive, even on the garbage roads we have around here. Obviously neither has the comfort of the SVX, but when modding a car it's very seldom possible to have both worlds. If you want performance and handling, you will have to sacrifice comfort. If you want your car to soak up every bump and ride like a Caddy, it will probably handle like a tank.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 03-27-2010, 06:53 PM
Nürburgring Warrior!

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
If you want performance and handling, you will have to sacrifice comfort. If you want your car to soak up every bump and ride like a Caddy, it will probably handle like a tank.

You see I have a problem with that blanket statement. I'll tell you what. Grab yourself a ride in an Evo and then a STi. The Evo will impart a sense of absolute control with razor sharp steering response. Great right? Well on a smooth track there isn't another 4dr car on the planet that will do the job better. Yet get that same car on a bumpy, uneven road and all of a sudden its firm suspension, bushings and super fast steering become more of a liability.

Now enter a known "softer" STi and while not near as good as the Evo on a track, get it on a bumpy road (I prefer dirt!) and OMG, you know exactly what Subaru was on about. Its planted and soaks up the bumps and such that would have an Evo in the ditch.

Now consider that most of us will never push a SVX around Silverstone or Laguna Seca, a really firm non-compliant ride serves what purpose? This isnt a dig but an honest question. Yes we will get a much needed option for replacing our struts and the ability to adjust the ride height to our personal taste. Does it end there? Not a bad thing if you ask me. But if thats all it is... so be it.

I worked for BTCC driver Gareth Howell while I lived in the UK and he taught me a few things. One premise can not be debated.... "Build a car for its intended purpose with parts designed to work together properly".

So with that in mind could the SVX tolerate a 135lb spring rate increase w/o sacrificing ride compliance and handling? Do we wonder about other suspension components like ball joints & bushings tolerating the increase? I mean we are doubling the spring rate at just 275lb. I dont know to be honest. I'd love to drive one with that set up to find out. I am REALLY interested in these coil overs. Now if we could get some feedback on them once installed. Granted everything is subjective when dealing with what each of us may find acceptable.

As always, YMMV.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:43 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Update...I dropped off a complete set of spare struts at AMR Engineering and had two meetings witht the owner, Andy Reyes - info@amrengineering.com. I do not pretend to be an expert but from the research I have done, Andy's products are extremely high quality. His plan is to develop a coilover specifically designed for the SVX and offer them on a custom basis. If interested, please send Andy an email, timeframe and/or deposit not required.

sunvalleyray
Old 06-01-2010, 05:08 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
I actually drove Old Tom's claret while I was on my trip and even going over all the bumpy roads around his place, I thought that his setup was not too firm or not streetable at all. His rates were 400 in front and 300 in the rear if I recall correctly. It still had a smooth ride and felt great. I don't get why everyone on here complains about the harshness of lower rates than that even.
I'm running 450/350's and it runs very smoothly. It's not too harsh for daily driving. The 18's make it a little rougher of a ride, but not too noticeable on factory 16's. Either way, a blast to drive
2012 Camry V6 SE