Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Wheels / Tires

Old 12-21-2008, 01:22 AM

Registered SVX
Which 225/45-17 tires

I'm thinking of new summer wheels and think I'll go with a 225/45-17 for tires. I have winter tires mounted on an extra set of stock wheels now. What would be a good tire to run in the summer that would still work ok in case I came across a early snow storm?
Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3
Old 12-22-2008, 01:08 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Which 225/45-17 tires

Ultra hIgh performance summer tires not only have treads that don't work for snow or ice, they have compounds that aren't sticky in cold weather. So, when you say that want want something that would work in an early season snow storm, you are saying that you intend to run the tire into the cold season. A tire that works in cold weather is probably going to be an all season tire. It will have some sacrifice in warm weather grip in order to maintain grip when it is cold outside.

I have Goodyear Eagle GT's on my Outback, 245-55 R17, but they are available in 245-45 R17. They are reasonably sticky in both warm and cold weather, pretty good on the tire noise. They are a deal at Tire Rack $107 each. They have very good user reviews on Tire Rack.

I have Bridgestone RE01R's on my SVX and they are dynamite on the track. I wouldn't take them out in freezing weather, however, even in the dry. I'm sure they would have very little traction.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 12-29-2008, 10:03 AM

Registered SVX

What about Hankook Ventus V4ES H105?
http://www.hankooktireusa.com/produc...tail.asp?pid=7
Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3
Old 12-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Off the top of my head I'd say those would have comparable to the Yokohama AVID V4's that are on my parents Forester. Not bad in the summer, but nothing special. More a better than most touring tire than a performance one. An absolute horror show in the snow though, I refuse to drive that car in the winter if it doesn't have it's snow tires on. The lack of traction would be comical if it wasn't so frightening.

The way I play the game is summer tires late April/early May - mid October, snow tires for the cold months. My current summer tires are General Exclaim UHPs, with Blizzak Revo1s doing winter duty.

And really, if they salt the roads in your area, you don't want to be running your nice wheels when it gets even close to cold. Salt will destroy the finish in short order.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Last edited by Crazy_pilot; 12-29-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:43 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxash View Post
What about Hankook Ventus V4ES H105?
http://www.hankooktireusa.com/produc...tail.asp?pid=7
I had a set of those on my '06 Vibe and they were excellent tires. Got caught in the snow in mid-April and they were OK. I also got caught on a set of Falken FK-451 and they were terrifying in the snow.
I'd recommend a set of Nitto NeoGen. That's what I had this summer on the Vibe. It's dropped 2 inches with Tein S-Tech springs, Tokico struts and Progress rsb. They grip like mad and can be rotated to all four corners, they're asymetrical, therefore they wear evenly which is a good thing for Subarus.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...n=NT+NeoGen+ZR
Old 12-29-2008, 04:38 PM

Registered SVX

These would be for summer only. I have a set of Toyo Garit's for the winter mounted on an extra set of stock wheels.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:40 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxash View Post
These would be for summer only. I have a set of Toyo Garit's for the winter mounted on an extra set of stock wheels.
If they are for summer only then I'd say go for the Bridgstone RE01's if you don't mind spending some $$$... If you are cheap (like me) then pick up a set of the Kumho MX's... For the price, the grip levels are great!... But even I will admit that they aren't the best tires for the SVX (soft sidewall)...

~ Chris

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...