Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2003, 12:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to Reaper450128
Time for a Level 10?

OK, I was forced to take my SVX (see this thread) to the dealer today, as it lost 3rd gear while I was driving home. White smoke began coming out from under the hood, not heavily, but noticeablely. The service dept. guy says the only option really is to replace it with a reman. trans from SOA, and he claims they no longer rebuld them because the cost of a rebuild including all the upgrades needed (this car never saw the inside of a Subaru dealership again after it rolled off the lot, or so it would seem from the lack of records) is about the same as putting in a reman. one. Now I know several people have mentioned Level 10 transmissions, and as they are only an hour and half away, I thought I would at least look into having them do a rebuild, if they will do it. Anyone out there that can tell me more about them and what they can do for our transmissions?

BTW, they are quoting me about $4100 for everything, though he thinks there might be a core refund bringing it back to around $3600, does this sound reasonable?
Old 03-12-2003, 01:49 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Level 10 do a number of upgrades the standard job will not have. I think they bore out some of the passages to derestrict oil flow, and they use different friction components to take higher torque. They may also put in an uprated oil pump, this may be at extra cost.

Phil and Belha in Bucks in England sent theirs to Level 10 for reman. Cost them a fortune, the shipping cost was very high, and the job cost itself was not cheap. So far as I know the tranny is working perfectly.

Randy knows a bit about them. Why not just ring up and ask them their price structure? They do know their trannies.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 03-12-2003, 01:53 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Lost 3rd

Mine lost 3rd as well (sans the smoke though). Its a 95 so it had no reman. from subaru. My dealer quoted me $3100 installed origninally for the reman until they realized it was a 95. Rebuilding it came to $3200. At least with the reman you get a 24-24 warranty. I know level 10 changes/upgrades some parts. I think they say around $4200. They do have a website and I'm sure there's a link around here somewhere. Oh yeah, my prices were from back in 2000.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:04 PM
Boone

Hmm... http://www.levelten.com/ .
Old 03-12-2003, 03:20 PM

I've been to their site, I just can't find anything on SVXs or even Subaru's in general. The closest I get is the import section, and thats not that close. I sent them an email asking about pricing and such, I suspect they will ask me to call them which I will do when I have some time (probably not before next week). If the price really is that close (and since I'm just a short drive, or in this case tow, away from them, shipping is a non-issue) I might as well have it done better than new rather than just refurbished.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:27 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Reaper450128
I've been to their site, I just can't find anything on SVXs or even Subaru's in general. The closest I get is the import section, and thats not that close. I sent them an email asking about pricing and such, I suspect they will ask me to call them which I will do when I have some time (probably not before next week). If the price really is that close (and since I'm just a short drive, or in this case tow, away from them, shipping is a non-issue) I might as well have it done better than new rather than just refurbished.
Sound logical thinking Reaper.

They may insist on you adding the exra ATF cooler if you don't have one. If so, just do it. Cheap insurance [$100-$150]

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 03-13-2003, 05:46 AM

No cash for repairs, viable for parts car?

Unfortunately it looks unlikely that I'll be able to do anything to fix it, as my source of funds is unwilling to back me on the repairs. Given the problems (updated last night after the dealer looked it over thoroughly):
-Needs new/rebuild trans
-Needs new cats
-Needs new front rotors
-Needs a driver's side seatbelt retractor
-Needs at least one wheel bearing replaced
-Needs the rear washer and wiper fixed (should be simple)
-Could use new leather
-Needs new ps pump o-ring
-I think thats all

Could I get anything close to what I paid for it ($2825 with some repairs to CV shafts and brake pads) by selling it as a parts car/fixer upper?

Somewhat OT: I know some of you own DSMs as well, any major headaches to be prepared for with them like there are with SVXs? I'd be looking at 1G, automatic trans (to be rebuilt by Level 10), turbocharged awd models. I know 2Gs have crankshaft walk, and that it is fixable, but they are almost always above my price range. If there are no major issues (and I've never heard of any), I might have to stray from Subies until I have a job that can support the needs of an SVX.