How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-20-2003, 08:17 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Any clean parts cleaner solution will work. Alcohol is pretty nasty to work with, fumes, dries your hands out, cold, etc.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:58 PM

Re: How To: REAR BEARINGS?

Does any1 knows how to the rear axle nut off without using spec tools ? the pich is already out of the bar.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:03 PM

define special tools...

Keith
Old 05-18-2011, 10:31 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

After unstaking the axle nut, and with the wheel on the ground, I used a 1/2" drive, 24" breaker bar with another 3 feet of pipe at the end and with another guy pushing down on it with me. I could have stood on the bar without it moving (but I am light). I believe it is a 32mm nut.

That's what I did, not what I'd do. Wheel bearings are one of the few still things I'd still take to a mechanic. Air tools make that job a lot easier and quicker.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 05-19-2011, 05:10 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

How long does the job typically take? Part of my rear noise turned out to be a bearing.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 05-19-2011, 01:45 PM
The Molinator

I have a HubTamer tool to remove the bearing on the car without removing the hub.. and I have an air wrench. Doing a wheel bearing is my most dreaded SVX procedure.. .

Don't forget to replace the 2 grease seals on each bearing! I forgot to order them once.. Yikes!

I never did figure out a good technique to remove the FAKE (protective) grease that the bearings are shipped with.. and to get a good proper grease injection in the bearings! Why don't they ship with quality grease.. and charge a dollar more! I'm sure my inadequate technique resulted in at least one bearing (soon) redo!

Send to mechanic.. or GuD LuK!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 05-19-2011, 07:54 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

For the seals, I read on another thread that only Subaru seals should be used. Also, the Subie dealer here suggests replacing that snap ring too.

Does anyone want to comment on the need to use genuine Subaru seals or the need to replace the snap ring?

For the grease, people have mentioned brake cleaner. But these devices claim to push out the old grease and replace with new grease in one step:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WMR-W1218/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LIL-34550/

Anyone have comments on using either of these types of devices?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
Old 05-20-2011, 12:05 PM
The Molinator

Common sense tells ME (only ME, probably).. that pushing new grease in.. while pushing the old shipping grease out... would not remove all of the shipping grease. If the shipping grease were decent quality bearing grease (as opposed to the "vaseline" that it seems to be).. then THAT would be alright. BUT, if it's crappy grease.. just used to prevent corrosion while on the shelf waiting to be bot, I WOULD WANT ALL OF IT OFF before placing the quality grease.

Someone here should know of its quality?? .. I don't! .. .

Just a thot!

The seals just need to be the right ones. Obviously, dealer parts will be correct.. Aftermarket MAY be.. .

If you're doing the bearing, and find out then that the seals are wrong.. YoU ArE StUcK!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 05-20-2011, 01:01 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
For the seals, I read on another thread that only Subaru seals should be used. Also, the Subie dealer here suggests replacing that snap ring too.

Does anyone want to comment on the need to use genuine Subaru seals or the need to replace the snap ring?

For the grease, people have mentioned brake cleaner. But these devices claim to push out the old grease and replace with new grease in one step:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WMR-W1218/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LIL-34550/

Anyone have comments on using either of these types of devices?
the bearing packer in the second link does a very good job of forcing the crappy thin grease out with new thicker grease. it seems to get all of the old stuff out. the first link will not get the old grease out, it's not as good as packing them by hand, probably a waste of money
Old 05-23-2011, 07:27 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Now, what about the grease itself!

This grease from Redline has incredible high temperature performance:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RED-80402/

It maintains performance against standard specifications up to 500F and has a drop temperature of 900F!!! Compare that to full synthetic Valvoline which operates up to 400F and has a drop temperature specified at 500F. Supposedly this Redline stuff is used by some Formula 1 teams. Also keep in mind that Redline uses esters in their products and esters are very good at wetting metals and conducting heat away.

I also found this useful link on the Timken website:

http://www.timken.com/en-us/solution...nt_English.pdf

It has very specific torque specs and procedures for tightening the nut.